Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,551,477 times

Advertisements

Well, as a die-hard 40 year Broncos fan, I have to say it's about time we FINALLY have a decent QB in Manning. Tebow, Orton, Cutler, Griese, no one has had any excitement until now. Elway set the standard, and the Broncos just couldn't fill his shoes. Nice to be on a winning streak after all these years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
My new tradition is to not be working on the Holidays anything past that is gravy.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Well, as a die-hard 40 year Broncos fan, I have to say it's about time we FINALLY have a decent QB in Manning. Tebow, Orton, Cutler, Griese, no one has had any excitement until now. Elway set the standard, and the Broncos just couldn't fill his shoes. Nice to be on a winning streak after all these years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My new tradition is to not be working on the Holidays anything past that is gravy.
Marcy, when I flew out to Wash. state to visit my kids a long time ago, I deliberatly picked a lay over in Denver so I could buy a Bronco's tee shirt at the airport! I liked Elway, Marino, Montana, Steve Young to name some that I remember.

Babe Parrilli (Patriots) and Terry Bradshaw (Steelers) were my favs as a kid. Oh yeah BRIAN Griese was up there too.

CSD, I worked last Christmas for the first time and said it would be last. I worked New Year's day too. If only I had known they would be my hubby's last....I was in denial bigtime. He passed Jan. 19th.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 PM

379 posts, read 531,638 times
Hi Marcy.....I too am a Denver Brono fan, used to live in Grand Junction, CO. Always have liked John Elway.

We used to live in WA state, so also became a Seahawks fan. Now I'm in TN, I am a diehard Titans fan, and we even have Matt Hasslebeck from the Seahawks.

I will always have a soft spot for the Broncos and Seahawks. Steve Largent of the Seahawks went on to become a State Senator. And my husband was from MS and a huge Archie Manning fan...so like both Manning boys.

Whatever the holiday....or holiday tradition....I'm good as long as I'm watching F-O-O-T-B-A-L-L!!!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
My "holiday traditions" are evolving which I guess means they aren't "traditions" at all!

Although I haven't faced a close death yet I'm no longer married (after 30 years), kids grown (an one living on her own), I now choose to spend the holidays with my parents and brother. At this point it's never a sure thing that there will be another holiday with my parents, who are both in their 80's and I want to make the most of it.

In the future there will be me and most likely my brother, my adult children who will be figuring out traditions of their own, and whoever else comes into my life. But who knows, I like to keep things flexable and I'm not particular about how/when/where anything is done. My only hope is that I'm a guest and someone else does the cooking...but I can bring the potatoes.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,866,743 times
Today is the 1st Thanksgiving without my dad. It's going to be really hard for my whole family. My dad said before he passed away that he wants us to celebrate the holidays.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 AM

379 posts, read 531,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Today is the 1st Thanksgiving without my dad. It's going to be really hard for my whole family. My dad said before he passed away that he wants us to celebrate the holidays.
Hi Tony, I know how you are feeling. This is my first Thanksgiving without my husband of 32 years. And both my parents are gone. But I am fortunate today to be invited to be with my "adopted" family (mother, son, daughter and their families); same with Christmas. I am hoping that I will enjoy the day and not dwell too much on the past. But I know when I come home to the quiet and it's just me, I will feel different.

Your dad was a considerate, caring man. My husband was too. Him telling you to continue to celebrate the holidays shows just how much he cared for you. He wants you to be happy, despite all the pain you are going through. If the shoe were on the other foot, you would want the same for your loved ones.

Right now it is difficult for me to celebrate anything, but my faith is keeping me going forward. I hope you can find some peace today, and be thankful for the wonderful dad who taught you so much.

I am thankful for people like you on this forum who give me love, support and understanding.

tngirl'

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
(((HUGS))), Tony. I hope your family will lean on each other for support today. Like tn said, your dad was a thoughtful and kind man to tell you to keep the holidays going. He loved you so much. My husband wanted the same for me too although it's a little difficult to do with only one. I am respecting his wishes outwardly to the world though with being cheery and wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and soon, Merry Christmas. It does make me feel better, believe it or not. Earl did not want my life to just fall apart and me to remain in the pit of despair. I know your Dad wanted that also.

Prayers for you and your family. Have a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,392,191 times
We don't have new traditions. My grandfather died last year and this is the second Thanksgiving without him. My grandparents always used to cook turkey on Thanksgiving and my family used to eat together at my grandparents' house. My grandfather always said grace before Thanksgiving dinner.

This year my grandmother made chicken, but my uncle stopped by with some take-out turkey dinners around lunch time. We're not eating together though.

For Christmas my mom and I used to get a real tree every year and she would put it up in her living room. After my grandfather died my mom didn't want to bother getting a tree, real or fake, and my family didn't do the dinner and gift opening that we used to do every year at her house.

So we don't have our old traditions but we don't have new ones either.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,941,898 times
Default Less extensive "celebrating" ~ no family nearby

We tend to do less frantic celebrating and shopping etc. We now seem to celebrate each day, holiday or not like every day was Thanksgiving or Christmas without all the Brouhaha and without all the commercializing and wasteful money spending. (Living every day in the spirit of these holidays)
This year we are having homemade Chili Colorado and Chili Rellenos with yellow rice, ♥ maybe we'll bother with a turkey dinner on Christmas if we have guests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning