U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times

Advertisements

PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Specified. Elopement means running away. YDS means Younger Dear Son. Does that help anyone understand what the DX actually entails? I linked to a support site, not a medical site. Quite frankly, I'm a bit taken aback that you chose a thread on grief and mourning to lecture me about what the appropriate response to tami's questions would be. While you may not find my links helpful, others might and I really do not appreciate your tone or the way you've chose to address me. I was merely trying to help people understand why I would know how it feels to have that panicked, frantic feeling over my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,739,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
PDD-NOS stands for Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Specified. Elopement means running away. YDS means Younger Dear Son. Does that help anyone understand what the DX actually entails? I linked to a support site, not a medical site. Quite frankly, I'm a bit taken aback that you chose a thread on grief and mourning to lecture me about what the appropriate response to tami's questions would be. While you may not find my links helpful, others might and I really do not appreciate your tone or the way you've chose to address me. I was merely trying to help people understand why I would know how it feels to have that panicked, frantic feeling over my child.
I understand how it's confusing, and not helpful for people to go to a site describing PDD-NOS when all they wanted to know was what the letters stand for. I had no clue what they meant, and the link posted, while a support site, didn't explain what the letters stood for, so I had to go to Wikipedia. Even then, as well as Wikipedia explained it, I still didn't really get it. When you live, breathe, eat and sleep a child's disability, it's hard to come back to the real world and talk as an ordinary person.

As for feeling panicked when we "lose" a child who wanders, or gets separated from us, I think every parent has felt that "pit of the stomach--scared to death--panic" feeling at one time or another whether our children are abled or disabled. I'm sorry you felt the comments were a bit too harsh, but this is a mouning site for people we've lost someone dear to them and who were an integral part of our lives, and the CT tragedy just brings our recent losses back to the forefront again, opening our healing wounds.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:15 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I understand how it's confusing, and not helpful for people to go to a site describing PDD-NOS when all they wanted to know was what the letters stand for. I had no clue what they meant, and the link posted, while a support site, didn't explain what the letters stood for, so I had to go to Wikipedia. Even then, as well as Wikipedia explained it, I still didn't really get it. When you live, breathe, eat and sleep a child's disability, it's hard to come back to the real world and talk as an ordinary person.

As for feeling panicked when we "lose" a child who wanders, or gets separated from us, I think every parent has felt that "pit of the stomach--scared to death--panic" feeling at one time or another whether our children are abled or disabled. I'm sorry you felt the comments were a bit too harsh, but this is a mouning site for people we've lost someone dear to them and who were an integral part of our lives, and the CT tragedy just brings our recent losses back to the forefront again, opening our healing wounds.
I'm sorry that I posted then. I thought this thread was for anyone who was feeling upset about this tragedy. I wish you and others healing thoughts and love.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 AM

7,839 posts, read 10,147,526 times
After tragedy, brain needs to heal - CNN.com
Article on healing after tragedies. Might be helpful to some.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,992,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm sorry that I posted then. I thought this thread was for anyone who was feeling upset about this tragedy. I wish you and others healing thoughts and love.
You are very kind. This forum is not exclusively "a mourning site for people we've lost someone dear to them and who were an integral part of our lives". Grief and mourning comes in many flavors. I am certain there are many people who are not directly related to the Newtown victims who are experiencing real grief and do not know how to deal with it. Those individuals should be welcomed to this site with open arms.

This forum is the last place I would have expected unnecessary criticism.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
You are very kind. This forum is not exclusively "a mourning site for people we've lost someone dear to them and who were an integral part of our lives". Grief and mourning comes in many flavors. I am certain there are many people who are not directly related to the Newtown victims who are experiencing real grief and do not know how to deal with it. Those individuals should be welcomed to this site with open arms.

This forum is the last place I would have expected unnecessary criticism.
lenora, yes, this forum IS exclusively for "grief and mourning" as the name implies BUT THIS THREAD is NOT. I welcome any and everyone who wants to talk about what this tragedy has done to them emotionally because we are a "safe" forum. We have no axes to grind about anyone or thing. Hell, if I were new to this forum and mourning the lose of one of my beloved pets, I'd start a new thread about that, my grief over my animals runs so deep!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Magritte, I apologize for the harsh critisism that was directed towards you trying to answer my question. However, the site you posted did nothing to answer it. The site just used the initials also. I also understand why someone would be frustrated. Like they said, the words would have cleared up what you had said. Now that you have said what the DX is, I am very sorry your ds has that.

Oh, btw, I prefer my underwear just the way I wear them! ~Peace~

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,992,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
lenora, yes, this forum IS exclusively for "grief and mourning" as the name implies BUT THIS THREAD is NOT. I welcome any and everyone who wants to talk about what this tragedy has done to them emotionally because we are a "safe" forum. We have no axes to grind about anyone or thing. Hell, if I were new to this forum and mourning the lose of one of my beloved pets, I'd start a new thread about that, my grief over my animals runs so deep!
I'm not sure, but I think you missed my point. More specifically, I was referring to "who were an integral part of our lives." People can indeed grieve and mourn for the loss of others not related to them and that the grief experienced by some can be every bit as painful as the grief experienced by those mourning the loss of a loved one. The forum does not exclude those mourners. That's all I was trying to say. And to let Magritte know that her posts were not inappropriate.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 AM

2,382 posts, read 6,075,640 times
I have repeated this over and over,nothing will change as long as there is no way to deal with the mentally ill.It is an almost impossible situation to deal with legally.It takes lawyers,two doctors and judge and possibly a baker hold to get started etc.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm not sure, but I think you missed my point. More specifically, I was referring to "who were an integral part of our lives." People can indeed grieve and mourn for the loss of others not related to them and that the grief experienced by some can be every bit as painful as the grief experienced by those mourning the loss of a loved one. The forum does not exclude those mourners. That's all I was trying to say. And to let Magritte know that her posts were not inappropriate.
Oh, I get it now, lenora. duh. No, this thread does not exclude those who have no connection to Sandy Hook except for being human! I think that's what my previous posts said too, at least I hope that's what I conveyed.

I think whomever jumped on Magritte could have been more diplomatic about saying what they said.

I hope Magritte will come back and read the newer posts and realize she's welcome to post her emotions that this tragedy is causing and that not all of us got out of bed on the wrong side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or