U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM

399 posts, read 579,493 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I don't usually come to this forum since I've not needed it but today I'm just over the top with sadness. My MIL passed yesterday morning. I came to work today to try to not think about it but it's not easy. She was a wonderful woman but her time to be with the Lord was finally called. She was ready to go since she suffered the last 3 years with COPD. What's hard is being at work, cause you have no choice due to loss of income if I don't come in and wanting to be with husband for the comfort. I'll get through this as I have my parents but it's just sad. Not easy and I understand the grieving process. Just felt like posting this to help me get through this myself.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,139,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell030681 View Post
Hi all,

I don't usually come to this forum since I've not needed it but today I'm just over the top with sadness. My MIL passed yesterday morning. I came to work today to try to not think about it but it's not easy. She was a wonderful woman but her time to be with the Lord was finally called. She was ready to go since she suffered the last 3 years with COPD. What's hard is being at work, cause you have no choice due to loss of income if I don't come in and wanting to be with husband for the comfort. I'll get through this as I have my parents but it's just sad. Not easy and I understand the grieving process. Just felt like posting this to help me get through this myself.

Thanks for listening.
I'm very sorry for your husband's and your loss, tink. You don't have berevement time at your place of work? Huhn, I thought only cheap joints like fast food did that to a person, like me. I'm sorry you have to make that tough choice. Been there, done that. I know this sounds so trite but it is the truth, she is out of her misery now and onto a better place. I hope you believe that, it gives one some comfort.

My sympathies to you and and your family.

God Bless.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM

363 posts, read 405,210 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for listening.
We are here for you tinkerbell, anytime. Please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your MIL. I know what a struggle COPD is. My husband of 32 years had COPD and severe emphysema for the last 6 years. I watched him slowly and painfully decline until he died at home in his sleep. What a blessing it was for him not to suffer anymore, but how lost I feel without him.

I am so sorry that your work would not give you some time off; that is lame. But you have to do what you have to do, even in the hardest of times.

BTW, I have also lost both my parents, and now my husband....so I really feel alone. This forum has been exactly what I needed in this time of my life. I find love, support and understanding here. I hope you will do the same.

Again, so sorry to you and your family for this loss. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, we care.

tngirl

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,995,672 times
{{{{{{{ HUGS}}}}}}}

Tinkerbell... Sometimes just the venting helps. It is sad that you have to be at work during this difficult time and I honestly don't understand how some employers can be so insensitive towards their employees.

No matter how sick someone is before they pass and you think you are prepared, you aren't prepared for it once it happens.

Feel free to post your feelings that is what we are here for to listen

Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
{{{{{{{ HUGS}}}}}}}

Tinkerbell... Sometimes just the venting helps. It is sad that you have to be at work during this difficult time and I honestly don't understand how some employers can be so insensitive towards their employees.

No matter how sick someone is before they pass and you think you are prepared, you aren't prepared for it once it happens.

Feel free to post your feelings that is what we are here for to listen
Keeper, maybe tinkerbell is in a postion like I was...I HAD to work unless I was so deathly ill I couldn't stand up. I think most employers are sensitive to this kind of situation but no work, no pay and that is difficult for many.

Fortunately I was in a union shop when my mother, mil and then my dad all passed and I got time off with pay. When Earl died I worked at McDonald's and could have all the time off I wanted, I took a week and a half off but got no pay for that time and it sure hurt the pocketbook.

I think cheapo places like McDonald's should have berevement days. Granted, the majority of their employees are kids but older people hold down the fort M-F during the daytime and they should get that benefit.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,995,672 times
I do understand how it is I just wish it was better for those who need it. Where I worked they gave you '3' days according to the policy if you lost someone in your immediate family. I think they had that in there for people who lie about losing a loved one. I had one who worked with me who had several of the same relatives die more than once.

When my DH passed I took 2 weeks and was paid for them. There was no way I could have gone back after 3 days

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I do understand how it is I just wish it was better for those who need it. Where I worked they gave you '3' days according to the policy if you lost someone in your immediate family. I think they had that in there for people who lie about losing a loved one. I had one who worked with me who had several of the same relatives die more than once.

When my DH passed I took 2 weeks and was paid for them. There was no way I could have gone back after 3 days
Yeah, the standard rule of thumb is 3 days. WTH? How is a person supposed to be back to work after 3 days? I can understand "lesser" deaths but a parent? A spouse? No way.

I worked with a guy who "lost" the same relative over and over too, Keeper. And he got paid everytime!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 AM

399 posts, read 579,493 times
Yeah, that is 3 days if they employer wants to give it to you. They don't have to and here they don't. If I take any time off it's at my expense too. Can't afford that. Company is small but big enough that they could afford to pay me regardless but they won't. So I'm back at work, now sick as a dog. Probably caught the flu that everyone else had during this time. My turn. I got my immune system down so much that I had to go and catch it. URGGGGG!!! Thanks all for your thoughts, truly appreciate it!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that is 3 days if they employer wants to give it to you. They don't have to and here they don't. If I take any time off it's at my expense too. Can't afford that. Company is small but big enough that they could afford to pay me regardless but they won't. So I'm back at work, now sick as a dog. Probably caught the flu that everyone else had during this time. My turn. I got my immune system down so much that I had to go and catch it. URGGGGG!!! Thanks all for your thoughts, truly appreciate it!
Sorry you got sick to boot, tink. May our Lord watch over you and your family. (((HUGS)))

Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM

311 posts, read 355,758 times
Default sorry for your loss

Quote:

So Sorry for your loss...sounds like you and the hubby need some comfort time. That's terrible that you can't get a little time off. But understandable that you dont want to lose money. But, you do need to take care of yourself. (I don't mean that in a selfish way). Sometimes we have to step back & listen to our bodies. Hope you get over the flu soon. Once again sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning