Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not immediately after my father's death, but ten years later after my business partner died.

In a lot of ways the two would have gotten along. They were both from South Carolina. They both had similar outlooks and were gregarious people.

So after my biz partner's death, I was asleep when I saw the two of them standing at the foot of the bed. Dick and my Dad were having a conversation about me. Dick looked over at my dad and asked, "When he was a kid, did he say all kinds of funny things?" To that my dad replied, "Yes. Although I always worried that he was a bit odd." Then Dick said, "Oh, he's awake," and the two vanished.

To this day, I can't decide whether this was a dream or not.
Ha! Oh, for some reason I found this very funny.
I do think they just pass into some other reality, and you just kind of caught them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
For those that do dream of their deceased relatives, did this only begin after their deaths?

I don't know that I've EVER had a dream focused around one of my parents. But they are both living, and young.
My parents? Yes, it was after they had died.
At some point my father came to me and said he was leaving, but if I ever needed him, just to call.
My mother still is 'there' from time to time. It's like she visits and it is very comforting and reassuring.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,140,218 times
I also find it comforting to be "with" my parents again even though it's only in dreams. There's an inner-child in all of us that likes to be with our parents again.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,831,257 times
My Mother passed in 2001, and try as I might, I could never dream of her, even though I missed her terribly. She was fifteen years old when she gave birth to me, and we were very close. In 2010 I was dealing with a very stressful situation, and dreamed of my Mother, and three other ladies all dressed up, and laughing, walking by me heading toward an elevator. I called to my Mother that I wanted to talk to her, but it was as if she didn't hear me. I began to cry, and called to her again. She, and the other ladies got on board the elevator, and as the door was closing I was devestated that Mother wouldn't answer me, so I cried out again, asking her what should I do? As the elevator sank from sight, I heard call out to me to not worry, that everything would work out. The next day, I recieved a phone call, and as she had said, everything worked out.
Then in 2008 my Father had a stroke,couldn't eat, or drink,and refused a feeding tube. He passed 10 days later, in a comatose state. We never really got to say goodbye. After we had dealt with his affairs, I went back to his house, one last time, as we would be moving in a week. I sat in his bedroom, on the floor talking to him, and telling him how much my wife and I missed him. As I talked to him, I felt as if he was in the room with me. That feeling that a someone is there, but around a corner, out of sight, so to speak. It felt so good. I talked a bit more, then told him how much I love him, and miss him, and that I must leave. At that point, I felt an emptyness, and felt alone in the room. I can't say what had really happened, but whatever it was, I felt, at least there was some closure between us after that.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM

8,012 posts, read 10,591,471 times
My Dad died just a few weeks ago. He had Alzheimers and was in an assisted living facility. He was 88 years old, in physical pain, and, I think, ready to go.

I don't dream about him, at least I haven't so far. However, I do feel like he has sent me a few "signs" that he is O.K. and that he is near me in some form, if that makes sense to anyone.

I have some extremely important decisions to make now that he has passed away regarding my self, my children, and our future direction. Somehow, I feel like my Dad, with God's help, is helping to guide me to make the right decisions. My Dad, due to the dementia, was not the Dad I knew the last few years. I believe he is now healed in heaven, and is the Dad we knew and loved, once again.

My Dad was cremated and we had the most wonderful memorial service. The last time I saw my Dad, he was still alive, and resting peacefully. He was unresponsive, but I told him it was OK for him to go if he was ready. He passed away during that night.

When I went to clean out his room at the assisted living facility, his things were right where he'd left them. It's like he just got up during the night and walked away....

Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 PM

13,000 posts, read 18,853,443 times
Dream of my dad, dead 18 years, every few months. Mostly that he is passing through the airport and I have one chance to see him if I hurry. Mother still alive.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-18-2013 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,000,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Dream of both, despite many decades deceased.
Adding this thought. I dream of them in all different time periods. Sometimes they're young, older, old. Sometimes the dream takes place in a house we lived in until I was 6 years old, or another childhood house, or my current house.

Dreams are like time travel.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM

195 posts, read 349,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Not immediately after my father's death, but ten years later after my business partner died.

In a lot of ways the two would have gotten along. They were both from South Carolina. They both had similar outlooks and were gregarious people.

So after my biz partner's death, I was asleep when I saw the two of them standing at the foot of the bed. Dick and my Dad were having a conversation about me. Dick looked over at my dad and asked, "When he was a kid, did he say all kinds of funny things?" To that my dad replied, "Yes. Although I always worried that he was a bit odd." Then Dick said, "Oh, he's awake," and the two vanished.

To this day, I can't decide whether this was a dream or not.
That's a nice funny dream.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM

238 posts, read 315,031 times
I had an extraordinary dream of both of my deceased parents recently. It was the night before commencement, where I was obtaining my Master's degree after 3 years of hard work. I dreamt that I was back home, with my life partner, talking to her in the dining room that is right by the front door. Suddenly the door opens. It's both of my parents in their younger days, walking in unison and smiling at me.

I think they were proud of my recent accomplishment.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,661,245 times
My father died in 2001 and I dream about him occasionally. Nothing much ever happens--usually we're just in the house I grew up in. My mother now has advanced dementia and is extremely frail. Sometimes I dream about her and she is the way she used to be. Those dreams are very comforting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning