U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,754,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What harm can it do to keep a calendar of important dates?
I keep brithdays in the back of my address book. On New Years Day, I get out my new kitchen wall calender, and go through it marking both those dates, and the day I need to have cards/presents in the mail. I have four freinds that I am close enough to to include their birthdays as part of my card/present list, and those four freinds were there for me when my partner passed...in fact we have all become even closer...his death brought us closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:59 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,314,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
I am not a widow but wanted to say that Moonlady is so right about this whole thing.

I lost my mom in a plane crash and the most helpful comment to me was-the phone will quit ringing after the funeral-how right they were.

I had to take a hard look at myself and realize that my grieving was very difficult to be around. People just could not relate to my situation.

Now if anyone around me loses a loved one suddenly or has to bury a child, I issue a warning so to speak. People will say stupid things-treat you different-avoid you completely. This is just part of the process.
They certainly will. I know from experience.
I expect little to nothing from people. It's a nice, rare surprise when one of them gets real and genuinely asks how you're doing - and really listens. When they make you laugh (like one did for me, just being himself), it's great. I always appreciated him making me laugh.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,179,672 times
When my husband was alive I talked to friends who live a distance away every few weeks or so on the phone. (Maybe even once a month or every other month at times!)...This schedule worked for my friends since they lead busy lives and have large families. And it worked for me too...But now, my life is totally different. (Since my husband and both my sons passed-away.)...I stick with the same schedule with my friends because they still lead full and busy lives.. I know it's up to me to make some new friends who have a little more "free time!" (Like I do now!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning