Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:18 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,849 times

Advertisements

It all depends on the person being eulogized, the family members there and the location, whether clapping will be allowed or encouraged. I was raised Catholic and it depends on the church and priest, Irish can't be quite lively.

A tragic death with weeping family? Probably not gonna be laugh-out-loud. An older person with long life and people to eulogize them? That's the time to share stories and laughs.

I just attended an outdoor memorial and there was laughing and clapping in a polite way. The husband died suddenly at 76 and had Parkinson's but a good life. His son got clapping after a well-delivered talk and other family got the same.
Don't we all wish we will have people to stand and talk about us and remember us with smiles and laughter?
I'm too old to die young now so weeping is not required except from my spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 08:26 AM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just read and commented on a link about clapping at the end of movies in the entertainment forum adn it got me to thinking.
It has been years since I have needed to go to a funeral and the last one I attended was for a neighbor. I grew up next to and had played with his kids for 20 years. We were in a catholic church and his brother delivered a terrific eulogy that had us laughing and remembering what a character his brother was. He really did a great job.
At the end of the eulogy I felt like clapping and almost did and I wish I had not just for the brother's words but for the life and memories that the deceased had left us. It seemed weird we all just sat there in the pews and the funeral went on.
Would it have been wrong to stand and clap for the deceased? Even though it was a stuffy catholic church.
I delivered the eulogy for my mother in law. I spent some time going over what she had done with her life and what her life was like.

I maintained that hers was a life well lived, and likened it to a performance well done. Then I asked if we could give her a standing ovation. The congregation responded warmly so I relinquished the podium so that Mom could receive the applause alone.
The whole thing was well received, and it is something I would do again.

Several people commented about her standing ovation and how she deserved it. She had lived 94 years.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:37 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
There is a respect due the one who passes and their families. You can share memories of this persons life and what made them special at the viewing. A positive nod of ones head would be one thing clapping no. You can speak to family members afterwards and can let them know then.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I don't know if you folks knew who Harry Cary was (A popular Chicago sports announcer) but at his eulogy the guest speakers had the entire church laughing at some of the stories they told. Even his wife had tears from laughing. It was one of the nicest eulogies I'd ever heard. And Harry would have wanted it that way.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:43 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
It depends on the eulogy. If the eulogy is full of funny stories about the person, then yes, clap.

If the eulogy is more serious, then probably not.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
When does a eulogy turn into a wake?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:56 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
I don't know why we need definitions and labels. If the family is happy with the tone of the service, whether there is clapping or not, then so be it. If it honors the one who has passed and accomplishes what the family wanted, then I think its all good, regardless of labels, procedures, traditions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning