Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM

4,166 posts, read 6,299,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree CA. Congrats on your work rescuing the cat you did!
I hope you'll share great new recipes with us. Who knows, we may have a budding gourmet chef emerging in your kitchen.

I'm like you - I need quiet time alone to heal. But I was so happy when two of my aunts came to see how I am physically recovering from a spinal injury which happened in June. Less than two minutes after being here one of my aunts turned and said, "How are you doing without Crick?"

I thanked her for asking and told her she had been the first person to ask. I do realize my siblings and others tend to think of my spine first, which should worry them. I don't have a roommate MD here to just take over like they arr use to.

But as a human I am capable of having lost the one I trusted the most and experiencing more than one situation or feeling at the same time.

I'm happy for those have reached a new level of healing.

MSR
I hope you're feeling a lot better now. (Since your spinal injury.) Nice that your Aunt asked how you were doing without Crick. (And remembered.)...I have a cold or the flu or a sinus infection today and feel yukky! Have to take good care of myself since I'm alone now. (Except for my son's cat Gracie.)...I'm sure Gracie would help me if she could! But she can't!...So I need to "nurse" myself back to health. And hopefully "get well" fast!.. Thanks for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,403,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I hope you're feeling a lot better now. (Since your spinal injury.) Nice that your Aunt asked how you were doing without Crick. (And remembered.)...I have a cold or the flu or a sinus infection today and feel yukky! Have to take good care of myself since I'm alone now. (Except for my son's cat Gracie.)...I'm sure Gracie would help me if she could! But she can't!...So I need to "nurse" myself back to health. And hopefully "get well" fast!.. Thanks for your post.
Thanks for your good wishes, CA, I don't think there is anything fast about me, given my MRI. It's not a good scene when neurosurgeon s don't want to operate. Many think of lumbar or lower in back injuries. That is not me. I'm true spinal cord where only one artery provides blood for a large area. But one never knows.

Are you still taking Gracie for car rides?

Hope you get over your virus soon.

MSR

Old 10-21-2013, 04:26 PM

[quote=Marcy1210;31880953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Good for you, smilin'. Hope you have fun on the date and at the pot luck. I don't go anywhere to meet people. I've become content staying at home with my animals and puttering around the house and yard. I watch tv and read. It may sound strange but that's enough for me. Earl made me whole and now I am a whole person by myself and am content being so. I don't want to "share" me with anybody else again.[/quote]

This is so me right now. It just took me 3 years longer to get there. I do my sewing, and I like to putter in the kitchen. I've been remodelling my home a little bit at a time (new kitchen sink and faucet, new blinds, took out the carpet in the DR and put down a wood laminate, am taking out the "garden" tub in my bathroom and converting it into a walk in shower (Mr. Athuritis has really gotten to my knees and hips in the last couple of years and stepping over the tub is not so easy anymore), shopping thrift stores and flea markets for cute little trinkets to decorate with, making the house more mine than ours. Every once and a while, I'll walk into the bedroom and for a second, it looks like Bob is in the bed, but that is just a blink and he's gone. I still feel him (or someone) around a lot. I keep thinking Andrew's in his room when he's been in his own place since July. It just feels like I'm not alone, and I like to think Bob's watching over me. For that reason, I can't share me with anyone else again, plus I don't want to.
Marcy,

Depending on how one sees things, I believe Bob's soul, spirit could be visiting you. You don't have to share my belief, obviously. I think our human minds and bodies have a finite ability to comprehend possibilities beyond death.

Comfort and validation come in different ways.

MSR

Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your good wishes, CA, I don't think there is anything fast about me, given my MRI. It's not a good scene when neurosurgeon s don't want to operate. Many think of lumbar or lower in back injuries. That is not me. I'm true spinal cord where only one artery provides blood for a large area. But one never knows.

Are you still taking Gracie for car rides?

Hope you get over your virus soon.

MSR
I'm sending you positive thoughts for a "miracle recovery." Always try to hope for the "best" anyway...I'm still "woosey" today but feel a little better...Gracie has been an indoor cat since my son brought her home from the pet store. (About 13 years ago or so.)...I used to call my cats "wittle wittles!" (An "off-shoot" of "little!")...But Gracie is a big "butterball" and "buff" girl cat. So I call her "biggly wiggly!".. Even though she's big and "buff" she still likes to cuddle. (Which is great!)

Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,551,477 times
Mtn, I do believe that our energy moves on to a different plane and continues to exist. I had my first experience with this when I was 15. My mom died of a heart attack and a few weeks later, a friend of mine came over after school. She and I were just hanging out (my dad was at work and I was an only child) and talking about a book we had to read for English. I told her we had an extra copy, so we went into my parents room to get it from the bookshelf. As soon as we walked in the room, we instantly felt the temperature drop about 30 (to us at the time) degrees. It was freezing in there. I grabbed the book and we both ran back to my room. We were terrified, but she had felt it, too, so I know I didn't imagine it.

Another time, when I was 23, my husband and I were in the living room watching TV after putting our two year old daughter to bed. From the couch, you could see down the hall to the two bedrooms across from each other at the end of the hall. I saw a hunched over figure (my grandfather) walk out of my daughter's room and into our room. He saw it, too, and we cautiously went into our daughter's room. She was standing in her crib and smiling. I asked her if anyone had come to see her, and she nodded and said "G-pa". My grandfather had died nine years earlier, so she had never met him. We looked at each other and the theme to the Twighlight Zone went through our heads.

There were a few more encounters with my loved ones, so, yes, I do believe they are still with us after they pass on.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I'm sending you positive thoughts for a "miracle recovery." Always try to hope for the "best" anyway...I'm still "woosey" today but feel a little better...Gracie has been an indoor cat since my son brought her home from the pet store. (About 13 years ago or so.)...I used to call my cats "wittle wittles!" (An "off-shoot" of "little!")...But Gracie is a big "butterball" and "buff" girl cat. So I call her "biggly wiggly!".. Even though she's big and "buff" she still likes to cuddle. (Which is great!)
Thanks, CA. I'm an equal opportunity "receiver." Anyone who wants to say a prayer, light a candle, send positive thoughts/ vibes my way and all the other ways good people truly try to lend what they can to me, I'm very, very grateful.

Learning the absolute humility and learning to be the one who receives vs. gives, has been a big adjustment.

I hope you're doing better.

I asked about car rides with Gracie cuz somewhere in a thread here, you had written about potentially visiting your cousin in the Midwest. I thought you mentioned doing some trial drives with Gracie. But, I could be confused.

Unlike a lot here I have been on my own and relied only on me for my needs for a while. I think when any person loses one or more people from his/her inner most circle reserved for few, it is an adjustment having others potentially offer to help in ways we may not have experienced previously. It's another change for the survivors.

MSR

Old 10-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Mtn, I do believe that our energy moves on to a different plane and continues to exist. I had my first experience with this when I was 15. My mom died of a heart attack and a few weeks later, a friend of mine came over after school. She and I were just hanging out (my dad was at work and I was an only child) and talking about a book we had to read for English. I told her we had an extra copy, so we went into my parents room to get it from the bookshelf. As soon as we walked in the room, we instantly felt the temperature drop about 30 (to us at the time) degrees. It was freezing in there. I grabbed the book and we both ran back to my room. We were terrified, but she had felt it, too, so I know I didn't imagine it.

Another time, when I was 23, my husband and I were in the living room watching TV after putting our two year old daughter to bed. From the couch, you could see down the hall to the two bedrooms across from each other at the end of the hall. I saw a hunched over figure (my grandfather) walk out of my daughter's room and into our room. He saw it, too, and we cautiously went into our daughter's room. She was standing in her crib and smiling. I asked her if anyone had come to see her, and she nodded and said "G-pa". My grandfather had died nine years earlier, so she had never met him. We looked at each other and the theme to the Twighlight Zone went through our heads.

There were a few more encounters with my loved ones, so, yes, I do believe they are still with us after they pass on.
Me too, Marcy. I've had a lot of experiences over the years with vs. relatives and friends.

I think once a person has an experience like we're referenced, s/he
often has a knowledge about an important decision for own life. To a young widower father, perhaps his wife returns to validate and encourage him with the right woman who will treat their children well as a stepmom, or perhaps just the opposite that someone the young widower is dating is someone who wouldn't be good to him or the children. So I have no trouble believing that some know looking for someone else isn't what is right for them.

Sometimes we get those visits when we least expect them. I believe those we've lost are watching over us

MSR

Old 10-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks, CA. I'm an equal opportunity "receiver." Anyone who wants to say a prayer, light a candle, send positive thoughts/ vibes my way and all the other ways good people truly try to lend what they can to me, I'm very, very grateful.

Learning the absolute humility and learning to be the one who receives vs. gives, has been a big adjustment.

I hope you're doing better.

I asked about car rides with Gracie cuz somewhere in a thread here, you had written about potentially visiting your cousin in the Midwest. I thought you mentioned doing some trial drives with Gracie. But, I could be confused.

Unlike a lot here I have been on my own and relied only on me for my needs for a while. I think when any person loses one or more people from his/her inner most circle reserved for few, it is an adjustment having others potentially offer to help in ways we may not have experienced previously. It's another change for the survivors.

MSR
Thanks for your post...Gracie and I are establishing our own culture and traditions now. She's become more of a "cuddler" since my last cat died...I'm thinking about moving near my cousin in the spring. So I'll take Gracie on short car rides before too long. (As you suggested in another post.) Thanks...I agree with what you wrote about learning to "receive." (Versus always being the "giver" or "doer.")

Old 10-27-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Me too, Marcy. I've had a lot of experiences over the years with vs. relatives and friends.

I think once a person has an experience like we're referenced, s/he
often has a knowledge about an important decision for own life. To a young widower father, perhaps his wife returns to validate and encourage him with the right woman who will treat their children well as a stepmom, or perhaps just the opposite that someone the young widower is dating is someone who wouldn't be good to him or the children. So I have no trouble believing that some know looking for someone else isn't what is right for them.

Sometimes we get those visits when we least expect them. I believe those we've lost are watching over us

MSR
Great post!...Sometimes I feel "all alone." But I know my loved ones are around me.. I'm a big believer in "free will." (When it comes to the decisions I make by myself.)...I feel like I have lessons to learn on my own while I'm still here on earth...And my husband and sons weren't inclined to step-in and tell me "what to do" very often. (And vica-versa!)...But every now and then I do ask for "help" when I feel "lost" or "stumped" for awhile. And I feel like my loved ones "hear me" and "care.".. But maybe I have a couple of lessons to learn FIRST before anyone can "save" or "rescue me!"

Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Little more...Sometimes I go through periods where I feel totally "alone." (Abandoned and rejected and "left for dead" in the middle of the desert!)...But I know that I have to go through the "void" and process all kinds of feelings in order to "heal" from my grief...And I have to stop expecting everything to come from the "outside" and do more work on my "inside." (If this makes sense!)...I have to establish a stronger bond and relationship "with myself!".. And find a way to come into my "very own." (Again!)...Anyway, these are the lessons I've been working on lately. I'm still in the "void!" But hopefully, my life won't feel "empty" and lonely forever!..Maybe one day I'll be able to "move on" a little more. Hope so! I'm trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning