Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

My father passed away Feb. 9 and I still am not over it Does it get better. I know this is not a unique situation since most people will have to deal with this and my father was to young at 68 to die and gave his all to myself and brother and sister. It almost seems like I am getting worse. The first week after he passed I just truly felt like he would be home next week and he was just away. I have been having mild anxiety attacks and I cannot think of my Dad without tears. I feel guilty for not calling my Mom more since she is sooo sad at losing him. How does one handle all this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
OMGosh are you kidding, Feb 9th and you expect to just 'get over it'? It doesn't happen that way. I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't feel guilty, just call your mom, or visit her if you can. Sure, it's tough, but you'll have someone to go through it with. You need a support system more than anything right now. Don't deny yourself and your loved ones that, please. I lost a brother 3 years ago this month and the first anniversary of my sister's death is coming up next month and I'm still breaking down. But it's getting easier. I have my ways of getting through the rough days. You need to find what works for you. But please, get some kind of support going whether it's family or counseling. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
You are just getting started with dealing with the loss of your father. Give yourself time, plenty of time...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
My father passed away Feb. 9 and I still am not over it Does it get better. I know this is not a unique situation since most people will have to deal with this and my father was to young at 68 to die and gave his all to myself and brother and sister. It almost seems like I am getting worse. The first week after he passed I just truly felt like he would be home next week and he was just away. I have been having mild anxiety attacks and I cannot think of my Dad without tears. I feel guilty for not calling my Mom more since she is sooo sad at losing him. How does one handle all this
February 9th, OF THIS YEAR??? Try thinking of February 9th 2010 before you get to a place where you are even starting to "get over it".

I'm so sorry for your loss, but please realize, grief is a process, not a one day event! It takes a long time to recover when you've lost someone important to you.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:09 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Sorry for your loss.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
February 9th, OF THIS YEAR??? Try thinking of February 9th 2010 before you get to a place where you are even starting to "get over it".
But in reality, there is no getting over it, you have to prepare for that. As the first anniversary of my sister approaches I find myself getting more and more emotional and I'm dreading the date. But, unlike with my brother--he was the first loss I've experienced--I'm preparing to celebrate her life by having a video made with a song I've chosen and pics of her. That may be a bit rough for you right now but the point is, you need to let yourself grieve and don't think you need to hurry through it. That's unrealistic.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Ok well at least I won't feel silly for still feeling very very sad

Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. The other posters are telling you truly... it takes lots more time to learn to deal with a death. Do call your mother and other relatives--sharing your grief is the best way to get it into perspective. And one thing I tell anyone who is facing what you are: You never "get over" the loss, but you do learn to carry it with you. It's part of you, and dealing with it openly now will give you the strength to live your life with the good memories you have. (I know this from personal experience.)
My best to you.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
You are never going to "get over it". With time, your grief will subside and become bearable, but you will never get over it. There will forever be a void. Over time you will be able to deal with your loss and not think about it all the time, but you are going to have those moments where you are just going to cry - and it could be many, many years down the road.

I lost my brother 9 years ago and I still miss him. It's been 9 years, but sometimes I can be going about my business and something - a smell, a sound, something I see - will trigger a memory and I will start crying like a baby.

Give yourself some time. February 9th was only two weeks ago. Just take each day as it comes. The ONLY thing that is going to help you work through your grief is the passage of time. Cry when you need to cry, there is no shame in that. I send you my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
never
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning