Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 10:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's Anglos per se, but in American culture, people do tend not to celebrate/commemorate the dead as much as Latin American cultures and possibly some Native American cultures do.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
In the South, it is common to visit cemeteries and "beautify" them . . . as many here do not have groundskeepers as such (many are private or church cemeteries in rural areas).

Many Southern (usually rural) communities still honor what is referred to as "Decoration Day." Interesting to note - Decoration Day is often celebrated on Memorial Day and the history is that Decoration Day was a precursor to the federal holiday of Memorial Day.

There is a book . . . you can find many links but this is just one I know about . . .

Alan Jabbour: Decoration Day in the Mountains

Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I hope you ARE nuts, Pik! Wouldn't that just suk??? My poor baby!
Well maybe just a little bit.....

Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
You are right! Anglo-Saxons are by nature a lot colder than Latinos...just one of their characteristics.
Really? WTH? OK. Well I am a white woman and I have spent a lot of time visiting my parents graves.

I know plenty of people who do not visit the cemetery because they believe the person is not there. I also do not believe my parents are there. Their earthly shells are there, but I still visit their graves.

I think of them no matter where I am.

White people are cold in nature in comparison to Latinos. Give me a break.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Same with my "Anglo" family. I once worked in adoption with people from Eastern Europe.(Ukraine) I remember those grave stones with faces.

Eastern Europeans are another group that seems to visit graves quite a bit.
Ukrainians also picnic at the graves of their family members. I guess that's how they convey family history to the next generation.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Really? WTH? OK. Well I am a white woman and I have spent a lot of time visiting my parents graves.

I know plenty of people who do not visit the cemetery because they believe the person is not there. I also do not believe my parents are there. Their earthly shells are there, but I still visit their graves.

I think of them no matter where I am.

White people are cold in nature in comparison to Latinos. Give me a break.
I Never meant to imply such a thing in my original post. As I mentioned, there is an area of the cemetery with very prominent monuments and a total lack of any Hispanic surnames, any ethnic names period. I have been toted to this cemetery and gone on my own there since the 1970s. I have never seen anyone visiting those Anglo gravesites, not even ONCE. That's why I asked. I'm also thinking that it's an older tradition that is dying out. I notice that my cousins and friends don't seem to invest nearly the time to the deceased. I know that they are "everywhere" spiritually, but it gives me a sense of peace and comfort with my own mortality when I clean their gravesite and "visit".

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I visit my deceased relatives and close family friends at least 6 times a year. They are all buried in a Russian Orthodox cemetery in NJ. I go there to pull weeds, water lawns, clean headstones and sometimes talk to them. Fortunately, all the headstones have photos, so talking to them "face-to-face" really makes me feel like they're with me. And I feel good afterwards.
Me too. no photos just the carved names, etc. I visit every time I go home to visit. Precious memories.

It may be more generational than being anglo or mexican. As people move and grow more distant from their roots, they may visit less and eventually some not at all.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I Never meant to imply such a thing in my original post. As I mentioned, there is an area of the cemetery with very prominent monuments and a total lack of any Hispanic surnames, any ethnic names period. I have been toted to this cemetery and gone on my own there since the 1970s. I have never seen anyone visiting those Anglo gravesites, not even ONCE. That's why I asked. I'm also thinking that it's an older tradition that is dying out. I notice that my cousins and friends don't seem to invest nearly the time to the deceased. I know that they are "everywhere" spiritually, but it gives me a sense of peace and comfort with my own mortality when I clean their gravesite and "visit".
Have you ever gone over to that side and looked at the dates on the graves? It is quite possible that the people who used to visit those graves have passed on themselves, and the family members that are still living had never met the deceased or even know where they were buried.

BTW, I was responding to another poster, not you. I thought it was totally wrong to imply that a whole race of people are 'cold'........

Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
That's probably because America used to be just America. Mainly white people, before we were "invaded". I've visited Mom, Dad and hubby once, my Mom twice, but feel no further obligation because as others say, they are not there, they are within me.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's probably because America used to be just America. Mainly white people, before we were "invaded".
Interesting. I think it would be safe to say that Native Americans would consider "white people" to be the "invaders".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning