U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 AM

4,674 posts, read 6,751,690 times

Advertisements

When I moved from our Colorado family home to our "snowbird" condo near Tucson, I had no choice but to declutter and do a major clean out. The house was full of 40 years of marriage, kid, inherited, purchased, collected.......stuff. I spent over a week at the house making piles: Trash, move, sell, donate. I had a construction sized trash dumpster out front, and I couldn't believe how much "stuff" could easily be tossed.

Since the condo was already furnished fully, I also had to decide which house's things I wanted more. I liked the china from Colorado, so I packed up the china here in AZ; my set of knives here was nicer, so I packed up the other knife set, and so on. There were so many logistical decisions to make. When the movers got here, I had to go through this condo and again decide: trash, sell, donate, keep. I finally was able to blend the two houses, keeping my favorites from each and mostly donating the excess. Nothing like a major move to make you take stock of what is really necessary or wanted.

I had kept so much of Bob's "stuff" as it was familiar. I tried to recreate much of the Colorado house in this condo because it looked right: same stuff on the nightstand, in the closet, on the counters... but over the past three years, I've been able to let go of his things little by little without feeling like I was throwing him away, and make the rooms mine. I've kept all his things that mean a lot to me, as well as some things I know the kids will find interesting, but I know when I pass on, or go to the home, or whatever and the kids have to go through my stuff, the majority of it will end up at Goodwill or in the trash.

I am glad that I kept the extra sets of china, pots and pans, and linens. They may not be Andrew's taste, but at least he has a fully furnished bathroom and kitchen, and with the stuff from his bedroom, his apartment only needs a couch and he's set for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning