Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:36 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Creepy. Must be a cultural thing. I knew a woman who had a picture of her dead baby. It was really in bad taste, INMO to have it on the wall with pictures of her other kids.

Many Latinos have shrines, or is it a Catholic thing? A shrine in the home with candles, picture of deceased. Pictures of the casket, funeral.
I'm Catholic and don't have any shrines or post-mortem pictures in my home, nor do other Catholic's in whose homes I've been. I do, however, know that in barrios and ghettos with large street gang presences it seems to be a fairly widespread practice along with the street shrines, RIP graffiti and tee-shirts, etc. They do seem to love to publicly mourn and make a big deal of it. While it seems somewhat cultural it also seems to be socio-economic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I was brought up Catholic and everyone I knew was Catholic and never saw a "shrine" in anyone's home either.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:46 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
I was brought up Protestant, but next to my Elementary School was a Catholic Church and school, so I had tons of friends who were Catholic and never once saw a shrine in anyone's home.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:38 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Are these "shrines" you're noticing for Dia de los Muertos? If so, they're not meant to be creepy at all. They're to welcome back the memory of the loved ones.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:42 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
If someone wants to take a picture of their relative while in an open coffin, I sure won't stop them.

If they try to do so of my close relative I will smash the camera.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
My partner took pictures of his grandmother in her coffin, apparently it's something that's expected in his family. I had never heard of anyone doing this until I met him.

I've seen some bodies where the person looks like themselves and very peaceful, but I've also seen some where the person didn't look anything like they did when they were alive.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I think its better to remember people when they were alive, not after they are dead. For this reason, we do not have open caskets at all in our family.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
It was never popular.
Perhaps for holy ones, but not for
the common people.
Very fringe.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was brought up Catholic and everyone I knew was Catholic and never saw a "shrine" in anyone's home either.
I was brought up in the era of Pius XII, before Vatican II. Many Catholic homes in my town had "shrines" of various sorts. Most popular were the Sacred Heart pictures or statues with a votive light always burning before them, but people sometimes had statues or pictures of saints, etc. It was not unusual for a photo or photos of deceased family members to be on the same shelf.

Seems entirely routine for someone of my era, I think. There was in those years a very strong emphasis on the Church as being constituted of the living, those in Purgatory and those in Heaven. And the boundaries were not as rigid as they may seem today.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
I had a sister-in-law, now deceased, who had a son named "Richard". When I first met her, we were having dinner at her home; her husband, my date, (her brother), her son Richard. Over coffee and dessert, she told me about her older daughter, Tessie. Then she took out a folder and showed me a photo of "the first Ricky". There was this baby, still-born and lying in a coffin. I was totally unprepared for such a picture and promptly threw up.

Now it doesn't matter to me that people want to have such a picture, but I can't see any reason to share it with a person you've just met. And may never see again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning