U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Hi I really need an advise

My brother passed away over a month ago. I just received his hospital bills from UCSF. He has no estate, no assets and only has like $1,000 left in his bank account. Will I or my Mom be responsible for paying his bills? Will take over our bank accounts to pay for the bills? Please help shed some light for me.

Thanks for your advise in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,619,409 times
Fiona,
No, You or your mom are not responsible at all for your brothers debts.
If there is no estate, just mark on the hospital bills, deceased and place the date
of death.
Send back to hospital.
Any other bills you get, do the same thing.
Sorry about your brother, hope you and your mom are alright and take care of each
other now.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 PM

Butterfly4u, thank you so much for your words of comfort. I really appreciate it. I'll do as advised. Thank you for your help. Take care.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,790,060 times
Keep a copy of everything you have returned marked like that as well.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
Make sure you get at least 5 certified copies of the death certificate in case the hospital, doctors or labs who bill you need a copy for their files as proof that the patient is deceased.

I'm really sorry you lost your brother and that you're having these bills arrive while you're still grieving...my condolences...and peace to you and your mom.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 AM

CSD610, thank so much. I was a little worried they might do cross check on my me or my Mom's account and take some funds just to pay the bills. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:36 AM

Marcy1210, thank you so much for your words of sympathy and for the advise and thanks to everyone. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:07 PM

2,877 posts, read 4,388,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona628 View Post
Hi I really need an advise

My brother passed away over a month ago. I just received his hospital bills from UCSF. He has no estate, no assets and only has like $1,000 left in his bank account.
His debts are paid out from his estate by the executor...which would include any money left in his accounts (like the $1,000 you mentioned in your post). In my opinion, as long as there is money left in his estate, those hospital bills should not be sent back unpaid. Debts get paid before heirs.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,712,685 times
Fiona 628,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I wish you and your mother healing and comfort.

I'm no expert in estates or CA law ( I think you wrote UCSF). I'd encourage you to post your question elsewhere in CDF. I think there are sub- threads in health issues and potentially a legal questions section too.

If it were me I'd want to read CA law about unpaid debts. Searching online for Bar Associations in the Bay Area and read. I'd also talk to an attorney.

You've received UCSF's bill, will others from utilities etc. follow? I'm not trying to sound harsh just wondering if other bills will follow and the policies of each account. I have no idea what the answers are. I only know rarely is there only one bill.

You may want to look online at some Legal sites too.

I hope you find the information you need.

MSR

Old 08-03-2013, 02:46 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,492,251 times
Fiona, so sorry about your brother. Don't worry about them getting into your moms or your bank accounts, they Cannot do that. You will not have to pay a dime either, but some may hound you to. I was bugged for years over a loved ones debts, but I knew I didn't owe and there was nothing they could do to force me. His $1,000 might and probably should be used, but I don't know how you'd go about figuring who it'd go to. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning