Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 PM

30 posts, read 41,523 times

Advertisements

There is a book that was written about the stages of decay a body experiences and the signs that someone is dead. I forgot the title but you can probably find it on Amazon or find something similar to it. That might bring some comfort to you. Also, bear in mind that if a person is buried and blood is drained from the body before burial during embalmment, he or she can't possibly be buried alive. Holding a wake for a day or two with an open casket will provide further proof that your mom is truly dead and will help to ease your mind.

If it is still a major worry, I vote for cremation. Your fear is not uncommon. That's why quite a few horror stories were written about being buried alive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,323 times
Yes, thank you. The little that I know about embalment would ease my mind if she were to be buried cause embalment certainly entails the body not whole anymore. I just wonder if there are any other options besides embalment that would ensure the body is not whole anymore. Ugh, I know this sounds so wrong but I just don't know how else to put it but in blunt terms. I am just trying to learn to ease these negative thoughts cause that is usually where my mind first goes-into the negative thoughts.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
mod cutI do have a cousin I could ask but since these boards are here to help one another, I figured there would be people here who could reassure me or help me out cause I know it is an irrational fear. So far members of this forum have been great. And as far as getting money, I certainly did not mean money for me, never mentioned that. But my sister (and she doesn't know that I am thinking of this) certainly could use the money and I know that my mom would do anything for her and if it meant cremation so that she could leave money for my sister, i think she would do it.
Sometimes irrational fears cover a reluctance to deal with the reality at hand. Your mother is dying, and that is a hard thing you will have to face. The thing is, when she dies, you yourself will know without a shadow of a doubt that she is dead.

I am sorry you are experiencing this.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-28-2013 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Professionals tend to not pronounce anyone dead who is not actually dead.
Medical examiners have a thing about performing autopsies on people who are alive as well.
Embalming only happens to those who are actually dead and cremation or burial is limited to those who are dead as well.

There are safety checks, medical checks, procedures, guidelines, laws etc. set in place to make sure that someone is actually dead before being pronounced dead and the entire process starts.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:34 PM

74 posts, read 147,893 times
Quote:
No not after cremation obviously but before. I understand it is an irrational fear but I am trying to educate myself and hear experiences so that I can combat that fear with actual information.
Moorhen3, I also have this fear. I can't believe I finally found someone in the twenty-first century who has it. I bought a pre-need cremation plan for myself because I (honestly) asked if you could pay to have someone make sure you're dead, and no one ever told me an answer that lessened my fears. My heart goes out to you; I'll keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
As a person who has been bedside for more than one death, believe me when I tell you, you will know when your loved one has passed from this life. My husband is a minister and we have been present and I never had any problem knowing when death occured.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Thank you all!!! This is exactly what I need to hear. Exactly! You guys are very compassionate and I thank you for taking the time to post.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
mod cutI do have a cousin I could ask but since these boards are here to help one another, I figured there would be people here who could reassure me or help me out cause I know it is an irrational fear. So far members of this forum have been great. And as far as getting money, I certainly did not mean money for me, never mentioned that. But my sister (and she doesn't know that I am thinking of this) certainly could use the money and I know that my mom would do anything for her and if it meant cremation so that she could leave money for my sister, i think she would do it.
best of luck i'll have you and your family in my prayers and thought.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM

mod cut Getting all this helpful information is already helping me believe it or not. I am so glad for helpful people out there and I am really very grateful that they see past my fumbling attempts to express myself.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-28-2013 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: orphaned

Old 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
A few years ago there was a newspaper story about someone who "awoke" in either a hospital morgue or a mortuary (before being embalmed, of course). I can't remember which place it was. It was newsworthy because it was so rare - less than one in ten million, I'm sure. Obviously someone had not done a thorough enough job in pronouncing the person dead. Perhaps such a story, even if consciously forgotten, is the source of the OP's irrational fear. So perhaps her fear is not so totally irrational after all since it has happened.

However, OP, please consider this: Such an error is even more unlikely in your mother's case, since she is terminally ill as determined by doctors. In that state of illness her body is barely supporting life as it is, and that's the reason she is under hospice care. Do speak to a hospice nurse when you visit; ask to speak to one of the nurses whose responsibility it is to declare people dead. I think you will be reassured.

And to be clear about embalming; if a person should happen to be alive at the beginning of the embalming process, he or she will not be alive at the end of it. The blood is essentially replaced by embalming fluid, which not only is incapable of transmitting food and oxygen to the cells, but which will kill any living cells and preserve them. I watched one embalming a long time ago - not for the faint of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning