U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM

8,440 posts, read 10,712,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
Thank you Macrina for a wonderful post. Thank you Thank you.
Macrina's post was remarkable for so many reasons. She clearly expressed the shock and issues we all have had to face when we lost someone so precious to us. She also mentioned other stages of her own life and how her Christian Faith was ever-present.

I've had the rare experience of having Macrina practice her Christianity on my behalf. I cherish what she recently did for me.

There are many who have posted who also chose to respond differently given what you, Sparks, wrote as your heading.

Does talking about your faith of where your dad is now help your mother? If so then make sure you initiate a conversation about your experiences and ask about your mother's as well. You may learn something she has been hesitant to tell you.

Not all who have posted are Christian sharing the same beliefs as you. However, IMHO, most everyone has tried to help you, Sparks, either by sharing what they experienced as an adult child with a grieving mother and/or by telling you their experiences as a grieving widow who had adult children and possibly grandchildren.

I think it is wonderful you honored Macrina as you did. No disrespect intended for Macrina ( and I know she will understand my point), but I'm wondering if you have practiced your same Christian values thanking others for offering painful, personal experiences to help you and your family, even if their beliefs aren't the same as yours?

You said you wanted a variety of opinions and you got them; however, do certain words have to appear in a post for you to deem a post worthy of the suggestions given?

What have you DONE with the suggestions for your mother?

MSR - you can decide whether I'm a Christian or not. I don't have to disclose any information about me unless I opt to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM

165 posts, read 107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Macrina's post was remarkable for so many reasons. She clearly expressed the shock and issues we all have had to face when we lost someone so precious to us. She also mentioned other stages of her own life and how her Christian Faith was ever-present.

I've had the rare experience of having Macrina practice her Christianity on my behalf. I cherish what she recently did for me.

There are many who have posted who also chose to respond differently given what you, Sparks, wrote as your heading.

Does talking about your faith of where your dad is now help your mother? If so then make sure you initiate a conversation about your experiences and ask about your mother's as well. You may learn something she has been hesitant to tell you.

Not all who have posted are Christian sharing the same beliefs as you. However, IMHO, most everyone has tried to help you, Sparks, either by sharing what they experienced as an adult child with a grieving mother and/or by telling you their experiences as a grieving widow who had adult children and possibly grandchildren.

I think it is wonderful you honored Macrina as you did. No disrespect intended for Macrina ( and I know she will understand my point), but I'm wondering if you have practiced your same Christian values thanking others for offering painful, personal experiences to help you and your family, even if their beliefs aren't the same as yours?

You said you wanted a variety of opinions and you got them; however, do certain words have to appear in a post for you to deem a post worthy of the suggestions given?

What have you DONE with the suggestions for your mother?

MSR - you can decide whether I'm a Christian or not. I don't have to disclose any information about me unless I opt to do so.
Why did I publicly thank Macrina? I thanked everyone in the last line of the opening post. I thanked individuals or multiple people in posts 3, 15, 21 & 46. If it seems her thank you was special........it was, I related personally to what she had to say. I am not going to elaborate but she knows why. I added to the "reputation" of several individuals. Don't you think that is in appreciation? I sent private messages to four other posters..........don't assume what you don't know to be true.

Post #34 I came to the defense of runswithscissors because she was a being criticized by others who assumed she was not telling the truth. As for your implication that I favored those that were Christian, I see know evidence of that in runwithscissors post but yet I defended her opinion.

What have I done? This is copied directly from the email sent to her. [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Ok, first a little tough love. I know you are afraid of showingemotion when we come to visit. Don’t think for a second that we don’tunderstand. If you need to boo hoo, then go right ahead. If you need some spacewhile we are there just say so. Either way we are coming down at Thanksgiving.We plan to leave on Tuesday night and drive to I don’ t know where and then gothe rest of the way on Wednesday. We are going to stay at a motel as it makesit easier with the dog and it gives you some space. I know the Holiday’scoincide with some critical dates with dad. We cant help that or change that.It is what it is. Nor can we change that this is the first holidays withoutdad, but one thing I can assure you is spending those times apart or insolitude is not the answer. You have a family that loves you and wants to seeyou. Emily has asked several times when we are going to come see you. She wantsto be part of your life.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
When dad passed away you obviously lost your partner in life butyou also lost your identity. For almost 50 years you were Mom, Wife, Secretary,Book Keeper, Errand runner all as an assistant to dad and his businessadventures. Now that Dad is gone you have undoubtedly found yourself a bitlost. I don’t know how to tell you to adapt to this other than you need to findsomething to occupy your time. What would that be?

This is my last post on this topic, I truly thank everyone here that took the time to post their thoughts and opinions. Goodbye.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Last edited by Sparks69; 11-05-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 12:34 AM

4,669 posts, read 6,737,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I never liked Rod Stewart but he had one song that always touched my heart and I always had to stop whatever I was doing just so that I could listen to it. It was always a song about my two boys. Now I have to turn off the radio. I can't stand that song anymore:

Rod Stewart - Forever Young (Official Video) - YouTube
I do like Rod Stewart, mostly, but my favourite song of his is Mandolin Wind. It sings to me the short time we have with those we love, the depth of the love and sacrifices we make to be with each other, and that sometimes, it doesn't always go the way we've hoped it would. It speaks to me about love and how deeply we feel it.

Mandolin Wind - Rod Stewart - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning