Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful post, Macrina. It took over 5 months to stop the constant crying and over a year to stop crying when I'd talk about my husband. Once that happened I was able to not cry again and again whenever the situation came around. You and the others who have lost a child(ren) are my "heroes". You have suffered the most devastating loss a person can have and still try to help others with their grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
Yes, great post Macrina!

It took eleven months for Mom to be able to listen to the radio without bawling. She could only tolerate classical because it had no lyrics.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Yes, great post Macrina!

It took eleven months for Mom to be able to listen to the radio without bawling. She could only tolerate classical because it had no lyrics.
That's the only music I still can listen to, CCc. When I'm out in my car I only listen to the local news station that's on 24/7.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,760,165 times
I was still crying until about six months later. Then music would make me smile. I slowly learned not to greive for the time taken away and appreciate the time spent together. Smile and remember the joy. The sorrow slowly fades. Sigh.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,015 times
I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. My mom died in spring 2010. I lived in the same town as my parents, and both my brothers live across the country. I had an accident that caused a brain injury in early December of that year, so I was far from 100% for that "first" Christmas. My dad was very clear that he was not up to celebrating, but he would like to see everybody. My brothers both came out with their families for a week. They stayed at a friend's house so they weren't underfoot, but we all got together at Dad's every day. We always had something easy planned for the following day - going to the park, meeting for breakfast, bringing lunch to Dad's - so he had something to look forward to, but it wasn't focused on the holiday. If he didn't feel up to joining us for any certain thing, we didn't push it, and just let him be.

He decided he would like to have Christmas dinner for everyone, but wasn't up to the preparations. That was something he and Mom had always enjoyed doing together. My brothers and I contacted local shops and had a full dinner brought in. We did the set up and clean up, while Dad hung out with the grandkids. (We would all have been happy with sandwiches, too, if that's what he had wanted to do.)

It was really hard for all of us to get through, but we all "lost it" at different times. Instead of celebrating the holiday, we just got through it, but we got through it together. Each year has gotten a little easier. Generally, I would say honor your mother's wishes, but under the circumstances I say go.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM

165 posts, read 132,578 times
Thank you Macrina for a wonderful post. Thank you Thank you.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM

Good way to handle the situation, MamaRed. Nice that Dad wanted to have the dinner and great that you and your siblings made it happen. I'm sorry for the lose of your Mom.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
It can take YEARS to get to the point where one can function again fully after a death. Everyone is on their own journey when it comes to grief. Be patient.

I hope she lets you come visit; even though she says no, I think she might really want you there. Maybe she is overwhelmed with having guests in the house; I'd offer to stay in a hotel but I'd push back a bit to see if she will agree to let you visit, even if it's just for a few hours a day. I hope you can visit.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
What a great post, Macrina!!

I still cry when talking or thinking about my husband after four years. It's so hard to talk about him because it still hurts so much. Just the slightest thought, and I'm crying really hard. In many ways, I'm moving on, getting by and getting involved, but when I'm alone, I'll still bawl like a baby at a thought of him, a song (those are the worst) or an older TV show that we would watch together. I'll still hear his comments about the show. It never ends, it just eases a little as time goes on.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's the only music I still can listen to, CCc. When I'm out in my car I only listen to the local news station that's on 24/7.
I never liked Rod Stewart but he had one song that always touched my heart and I always had to stop whatever I was doing just so that I could listen to it. It was always a song about my two boys. Now I have to turn off the radio. I can't stand that song anymore:

Rod Stewart - Forever Young (Official Video) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning