Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:48 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times

Advertisements

What do you want or need when it comes to emotional support?...Last night I was trying to explain to a friend where I'm "at" right now. It was great that my friend (a man) took the time to listen to me. (Especially since it's hard for me to "understand myself" at times!)...Grief comes with lots of "ups" and "downs" and "puzzling moments." Don't you think?...Sometimes I really feel "psycho!" And I know some friends may have trouble understanding me. Nice when someone cares enough to "just listen" for awhile. How do you feel about it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM

645 posts, read 1,275,800 times
How do I feel about it? For me, most people have not gone through what I have. I do not want to sound like I'm suffering from terminal uniqueness here, but I just lost a lot of things that "normal" people never had. Hence, I do not expect anybody to understand.

When I meet somebody who seems to be able to lend a kind ear, I'd just like to be heard. What always gets me are the people who tell me, "You shouldn't feel like you do, you'll snap out of it, or everybody goes through this." What I hear is that I have no right to feel the way I do, it's just a phase (so I really didn't lose anything I just think I did), and everybody goes through it? Really! Get out! I didn't see you (the person making such statements) lose anything like I did!

Then there are the most dreaded of them all, the fixers! I do not want to be "fixed!" I am not a broken car, and you're not a mechanic! What further exacerbates this situation is the Ace Mechanic usually hasn't lost one thing I have let alone the entire life's kit as I have.

I like to be heard. I don't have to be understood, but that would be nice. I do not expect most people to understand me because I am not pacified by the bread & circuses and I'm not medicated by the ʞool aid that society so greedily gulps

I agree, it's rather refreshing to hear somebody who "just listens." I've found that most people just don't get it. I avoid talking about it with them because they seem to be trained to offer feeble advice in an attempt to sooth me or they've been programmed to think they can fix anything just because they once broke a nail!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but those were some of my experiences and frustrations as I deal with life in Nueva 'Merika.

I hope you find what you're searching.

Cheers and thanks for reading,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
How do I feel about it? For me, most people have not gone through what I have. I do not want to sound like I'm suffering from terminal uniqueness here, but I just lost a lot of things that "normal" people never had. Hence, I do not expect anybody to understand.

When I meet somebody who seems to be able to lend a kind ear, I'd just like to be heard. What always gets me are the people who tell me, "You shouldn't feel like you do, you'll snap out of it, or everybody goes through this." What I hear is that I have no right to feel the way I do, it's just a phase (so I really didn't lose anything I just think I did), and everybody goes through it? Really! Get out! I didn't see you (the person making such statements) lose anything like I did!

Then there are the most dreaded of them all, the fixers! I do not want to be "fixed!" I am not a broken car, and you're not a mechanic! What further exacerbates this situation is the Ace Mechanic usually hasn't lost one thing I have let alone the entire life's kit as I have.

I like to be heard. I don't have to be understood, but that would be nice. I do not expect most people to understand me because I am not pacified by the bread & circuses and I'm not medicated by the ʞool aid that society so greedily gulps

I agree, it's rather refreshing to hear somebody who "just listens." I've found that most people just don't get it. I avoid talking about it with them because they seem to be trained to offer feeble advice in an attempt to sooth me or they've been programmed to think they can fix anything just because they once broke a nail!

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but those were some of my experiences and frustrations as I deal with life in Nueva 'Merika.

bolillo
Great post! Thanks!...I can totally relate to everything you wrote.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Default You said it so eloquently, ty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post

bolillo
Wow, awesome post and I have experienced the fixers or the people who think I ought to be dating by now, a man will fix everything. I stay away from the fixers. I think I feel more confused now than I did when I first lost my husband because I am disappointed in myself for not moving on and have a "LIFE".

Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default Questions about my needs.

Great posts everyone.

I need others to ask me how I am, how can they help and to actively listen. I don't need someone telling me what I should be doing.

I need people to not judge me as I can't think of one person I know who has to deal with some of the things I've had to deal with. I personally find those who "ordered" me no obituary, no death notice and more disgraceful. Why shouldn't a life be celebrated or remembered?

And I need friends who can handle the bad days when they happen and life continues with no damage done to our relationships because of me having a bad day or week given the combination of the factors.

MSR

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
I would have liked to have been hugged IRL a whole heck of a lot more instead of just in cyberspace. That human contact was sadly missing. I think it stunted my grieving process for a while.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
I would like people to trying to "fix" me. I don't want to date, I don't want to get remarried, I don't want to take off my wedding rings, and I don't want people trying to fix me up. I want to live out my life quietly, peacefully, in my own way, on my terms, with no interference from others who think they know what's best for me.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,216,684 times
Marcy, ty for sharing.

I know exactly what you mean Marcy. I have several people in my life that want to"FIX ME" and tell me what I need to do with my life. I ought do this and I oughta do that and blah, blah, blah.

I really am trying to figure it all out on my own. I know I never want to live with or marry a man. Just a fella that I can do things with would be nice without no attachment.

I have eliminated the "fix me" people out of my life. I just can't deal with people who will not accept me for who I am.

Love and peace,
Smilin

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times
I dealt with my sister, whom I thought for a long time I would lose and THAT was unbearable to me, being that I had already lost her better half.

I was always at her side, often taking her to places they went and just being there for her... My sister learned that only family and really good friends are there after a loss, I grieved for my BIL as well so for us it was a moment when she was allowed to cry when..others tired of her grief wanted her to move on. I helped her calm down because BIL am me enjoyed the same poets and books so I would often read on these times and she was able to manage back into everyday life.

Took her a while but we did move on and sister is in a loving relationship again.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default Soft Memories of the Past

Before my time. But I heard it tonight and was moved...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4fWN6VvgKQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning