U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 PM

4,721 posts, read 7,019,927 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law in Denver called to invite me to Thanksgiving. She was excited. Yes, I have to pay air fare, but she then said, she'll definitely be here in Tucson for Christmas. So much love for family. I'm excited about going to Denver again...now, on the other hand.........

On a really sad note, my brother is dying, and won't live long. I was adopted, and he was also adopted out. Tthen our mom had two more birth kids who died at age 40 and age 55 of heart attacks. Feels like I'll be an orphan all over again....sad to think I'm the last of my bio siblings still alive...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,359,178 times
Marcy....I'm really sorry about your brother. But, I'm glad you'll see your SIL on Thanksgiving and Christmas. And get to be with family.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:17 AM

This will be the first time since Bob died that I won't be alone on a holiday. Our first holidays, a month after he died, no one from the family called, invited us to their house (even out of state), nothing. Andrew and I spent the holidays alone. The next year I actually invited myself to my sister-in-law's for Christmas, but instead of being at her house, we ended up at her husband's families house. Then 2011 and 2012, and I went to Denver for Thanksgiving, but alone for Christmas. I'm so thankful that both holidays will be with family again, the way it was when Bob was alive.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 AM

32,308 posts, read 59,575,988 times
How sad about your brother; my heart breaks for you.

I'm glad you have the holidays with family to look forward to.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,725,261 times
I extend my sympathy to your brother and his family and to you, Marcy. I am glad you will not be spending the holidays alone. Please keep us posted.
I feel your sense of peace, Marcy. I love you!!! Happy Holidays to you and your lovely family.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 AM

I'm getting there, smilin! It's been a tough four years, but I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel. You know, I think scattering Bob's ashes released me a little, like it released him. Something changed that day. I still have 1/2 his ashes, but the other half are where he wanted to be, finally, and I do feel the peace in that.

As for my brother, I started searching for my birth family back in the early 1980's, but it was hard. I got my records with pertinent info blacked out, but the counselor who was helping me told me I had an older brother born 23 months before me, and a sister 23 months younger, and a brother 12 years younger. I held off on anymore until my parents passed away in 1989. I tried to get more information, but it wasn't until I got internet and was able to do more searching. I finally wrote a letter to my youngest brother, and found out our mom had died in 1999. He and I connected right away. We were very much alike. His sister, though, would have nothing to do with me, because she cherished her mom and refused to believe she'd had other kids. But, I still couldn't locate my oldest brother. Finally, his daughter found me through Ancestry.com as she was searching for her Dad's family, too, but he wanted nothing to do with me or anyone else in the family. At least we knew he was alive and well in Alabama. My niece and I have stayed close, and she's the one who told me John's dying. He was a drug addict and alcoholic and it caught up with him. She hadn't talked to him in seven years, so she's somewhat ambivilent that he's dying. So, of the four of us, I'm the only one left. Even though I didn't know him, it's still sad to think my siblings are gone, and at such young ages. With the good, comes the bad, and I guess it all balances out in the end...

Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,359,178 times
Marcy...Thanks for sharing your history. I'm glad that you and your niece are close...Sorry you didn't have a chance to connect and get to know everyone really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning