U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:47 AM

20,799 posts, read 17,579,270 times

Advertisements

My mom's eyes were open when she died but my dad's eyes were closed. My husband's eyes stayed closed also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 12:46 AM

4,643 posts, read 6,575,717 times
I think most people's eyes are usually open only because if they were sleeping, or in a coma with eyes closed, the eyelids relax and the eyes slightly open, or when someone dies suddenly, their eyes didn't have a chance to close.

My mom died suddenly and her eyes were open as were my husband's. My dad died after being in a coma, and his eyes had been closed, but "slid" open half-way after he died.

I did know about the eyelid glue from my grandmother's death in 1975. She died peacefully of old age in her sleep, but at the viewing, the person who did the preservation of the body was sloppy with the glue. We all asked what was the sticky stuff on her eyelashes, and that's when we learned her eyes had been glued shut. So was her mouth, and they did a lousy job on that, too.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,022 times
This was exactly the same question I had, my twin brother died suddenly in his sleep and was found in the morning spread eagle across his bed with his eyes open and I've been distraught he woke up just before death and suffered
from one sister to another thoughts are with you to

Old 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM

5,628 posts, read 4,398,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Today, something many people are probably not aware of -- morticians sometimes have to put a line of adhesive on the eyelids to keep them shut.
My dad told me this when i was little and he also told me they sometimes glue the mouth shut.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 AM

33 posts, read 38,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
My dad told me this when i was little and he also told me they sometimes glue the mouth shut.
yep, i agree with you. they do that to make the eye and mouth firmly shut.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,935 times
My grandfather just recently died in a Nursing Home.He had Dementia but was still healthy to me was still eating and drinking and active.My mom got a call from the Nursing home that my grandfather passed away in his sleep.It was such a shock to me because he showed no signs that he was dying.If he did he would've had some family their by his side when he passed but instead he died alone.I don't know if foul play was involved because my grandfathers eyes were slightly open and his mouth was so dry and his hands were curled like he was trying to take off something.To me it doesn't look like he died in his slee

Old 10-19-2014, 03:07 AM

822 posts, read 537,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When my mother died the nurse said that sometimes when a person dies their eyes stay open or open when they had been closed (while sleeping) or sometimes the reverse happens.
I think the whole idea of dead people with eyes being open or closed is more of a spiritual concept than a biological one. Sure, the muscles in your face relax after you die, but people consider death to be more similar to "sleep" than being "awake" -- so the idea of a corpse with open eyes is unnerving.
This was even a subject in a Star Trek: Next Generation episode -- the Klingons would keep the eyes of their dead open to "face the afterlife with open eyes as true warriors" or something like that.
KlingonDeathCry.mp4 - YouTube

Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 9,303 times
My mother passed away in December 2014. I closed her eyes and 2 hours after her death, I held her one last time before the mortuary took her. Upon holding her, my Mother's eyes opened. Once again, this was two hours after my Mother was declared dead. Why? What does this mean?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:08 AM

20,799 posts, read 17,579,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eur944 View Post
My mother passed away in December 2014. I closed her eyes and 2 hours after her death, I held her one last time before the mortuary took her. Upon holding her, my Mother's eyes opened. Once again, this was two hours after my Mother was declared dead. Why? What does this mean?
Ugh, creepy. Sorry for your lose.

Muscles. Rigamortis not setting in yet.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM

3,938 posts, read 5,284,959 times
My Mom's eyes thankfully did not open at the moment she died. Her mouth had been open as she had been mouth-breathing with an oxygen mask. I tried to close it but it didn't move. It couldn't have been rigor mortis that fast but I didn't want to take a chance.

My Mom had had severe brain bleeding from a fall, and died six days later without ever regaining consciousness. When I first got there the day after the fall, a doctor opened her eyes to check her and there was absolutely no life behind them. I will never forget how glassy they were. That's how I knew -- she was long-gone. I just waited the six days for her body to catch up with her spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning