U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:35 PM

2,215 posts, read 2,011,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyStanley View Post
yep, i agree with you. they do that to make the eye and mouth firmly shut.
It isn't adhesive they use, rather the eyes are held closed with a contact lens that has sharp points on one side to hold the eyelid down.

As for the mouth, it is an insert that is placed inside the mouth that holds everything closed.

This is at least the case with the embalming's I have had the opportunity to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
Smile My Brother Passed away on 6-5-16

When my Brother passed away I did what I normally do. I researched it. I came across an old tape on embalming procedures , shortly after I watched a movie called Bernie. the information in the tape matched the description given in the beginning of the movie Bernie. In the movie Bernie is explaining to a class of people that when people pass the muscles relax and the eyes open. (this is a dark comedy) I'm sorry if this is offensive to anyone. He then states that the eyes stay open as if to get one last look at this beautiful world. So they use a touch of super glue to hold them shut. The movie is a dark comedy but strangely enough it really helped me not be so anxious about the situation at hand.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:59 PM

26,164 posts, read 14,275,460 times
Im so sorry about your brother Lidizzle

Welcome to city-data ..... I hope to see you around

Old 02-21-2017, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
I have seen 3 family members die. None of them was conscious. At the moment of death their eyes opened wide then closed.
I was just wondering why this happens. Is it medical or spiritual?

Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM

2,850 posts, read 736,770 times
It's really nice to see strangers console strangers about their loss.
When a stranger has no gain from making those comments, it shows that they are sincere, thoughtful, loving people, and that is wonderful to see, especially in todays times where so many are all about themselves.
To each of you showing that love, thank you.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:37 AM

630 posts, read 620,632 times
Typically eyes open means the care takers forgot to close them before the next of kin arrived. There is an angelic spirit guide I call the funeral director.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 420 times
My sister died in hospice. I was holding her hands and watched her stare at me and gasping to talk under air mask. When i heard the heart monitor go flat... I stared straight into her eyes. They shrunk away slowly. After she was declared dead by a doctor her eyes were . Wide open. Fixed on me. mouth is wide open. Does this mean she didn't go in peace??? Is her soul trapped in that hospice??? Did she died scared??? Please some body answer me. I can't sleep. I keep thinking about this over and over!!!!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,231,884 times
My husband and I were talking. Then his eyes opened amazingly wide and he was looking up panning across the ceiling. He was sitting up in his recliner not laying in bed. I asked him what he was looking at and no recognition he had heard me. Then I realized he was dying and jumped up to stand beside him and took his hand. He took a couple gasping breaths and was gone. Never even responded to anything after his eyes went wide open. i was calling to him and patting his chest. Nothing I closed them when I knew for sure he was gone and they did stay shut. Checked the time and called hospice as I was instructed to do. Then I bathed him while I was waiting for them to get there. Well I finished a bath I had started on him earlier and he needed to rest. Was a Sad day.

He showed no pain was not on any drugs other than oxygen and the lung inhaling machine he had had one treatment of. He made no noise other than the gasping breath and he never flinched or moved other than his pan across the ceiling then head back to center. He had been sitting there with his hands together on his lap as we were talking. I think he was instantly gone if that is possible. And I/we were blessed for this. My first husbands passing was horrible for me to witness.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 25,790 times
Notsolucky24:

No her soul is not trapped. She is at peace now and no longer in pain. Hold on to that thought..try to replace your fearful thoughts with the thought of how she is no longer suffering. I am sorry for your loss and send you thoughts of healing and peace.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 137 times
I lost my aunty this morning, when my uncle found her he said her eyes were open. It was upsetting me that her eyes had been opened as I hoped she had died on her sleep, but I feel better after reading this. Thankyou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning