U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM

234 posts, read 507,818 times

Advertisements

My brother, whose health had been deteriorating in recent months, just passed away. We found him in his bed in the morning, lying there with his eyes open. My mother was distraught by the thought that maybe he hadn't slept at all and died while awake. I thought that maybe he still died while sleeping, because I've heard that when people die, their eyelid muscles relax and so their eyes open. Any thoughts on this? It would be nice to know that my brother wasn't suffering in his final moments.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,418,288 times
My wife passed away at 7:15 this morning. ( 2 year, 9 month battle with ALS)

Her eyes were partially open.

I think it means nothing because while she was still breathing, her eyes were not reacting to my fingers in front of them.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM

15,344 posts, read 25,350,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
My wife passed away at 7:15 this morning. ( 2 year, 9 month battle with ALS)

Her eyes were partially open.

I think it means nothing because while she was still breathing, her eyes were not reacting to my fingers in front of them.
So sorry for your loss.

To answer the question:

I used to work part time in the funeral industry and I have seen eyes opened and closed. I would think it would depend on how an individual passed away to determine if they were in pain or not. Personally someone sleeping I would think would have died most peacefully.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM

17,621 posts, read 16,816,655 times
Teddy52, I am so sorry. Even when expected, death is still a shock and the days ahead may be difficult for you. May your pain be replaced with warm memories someday, it is too early now. For now, just go with the flow and feel your feelings and take care of yourself. My sympathies.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:25 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,337,151 times
Sorry about the death. I hope you find closure

Old 11-29-2013, 06:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,812,466 times
D -

Strangely, this was on my FB feed today and I read it right before I saw your note about your wife. My condolences to you again - know that Margaret is at peace and able to once again move easily in her new life. I wish you peace in your soul.

It may be too soon to introduce this, and I apologize in advance if it is - but I immediately thought of you.

15 Things I Wish I’d Known About Grief | Identity Renewed

Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 AM

26,427 posts, read 14,692,317 times
The hospice nurse told me it means nothing; that there are some involuntary muscle contractions that go along with death at time; no matter how painless.

Teddy52 ~ I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:38 PM

21,061 posts, read 17,912,446 times
Sorry for your loss, Teddy52.

I think a person's eyes stay in whatever position they are in when death occurs. If they are asleep, as my mother was, the eyes will open slightly due to muscle relaxation. I think that's why her eyes were partially open also. IF you happen to have your eyes open at the moment of death, I think they stay open until someone closes them because there is no brain activity to the muscles. I'm no expert or doctor but that's the most common sense theory I can come up with.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Status: "Home Sweet Divide, Colorado Home" (set 15 days ago)

4,653 posts, read 6,675,888 times
My dh died instantaneously (probably--he died alone) and when my neighbor found him, he was laying on his back, snow scraper still in his hand, and his eyes wide open. He hadn't landed hard on his back, as there was no head injury from his head hitting the concrete, so, it's possible he eased himself down on his back, but died with his eyes open.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 PM

16,302 posts, read 15,595,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
My brother, whose health had been deteriorating in recent months, just passed away. We found him in his bed in the morning, lying there with his eyes open. My mother was distraught by the thought that maybe he hadn't slept at all and died while awake. I thought that maybe he still died while sleeping, because I've heard that when people die, their eyelid muscles relax and so their eyes open. Any thoughts on this? It would be nice to know that my brother wasn't suffering in his final moments.
I am sorry for your loss.

When my mother died the nurse said that sometimes when a person dies their eyes stay open or open when they had been closed (while sleeping) or sometimes the reverse happens.

If you did not hear your brother cry out or make any sounds I would strongly suspect that he died peacefully in his sleep. Even if he did cry out it may have been "involuntary" (such as muscles contracting and air being expelled from his lungs) and he passed away without any pain while still asleep.

(((hugs)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning