Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 now and lost my fiance to stage IV pancreatic cancer in November of 2012, after a year and a half fight. My entire life throughout his sickness was solely about taking care of him; juicing fruits and veggies for him throughout the day, researching holistic treatments along with the best clinical trials and treatments, keeping him comfortable, taking care of his bills and affairs. Flying back and forth to Johns Hopkins. Fearing for his life every second of the day. So long story short, I was a gigantic ball of stress during that time.

Once he passed, something snapped in me, and I went on a downward spiral of self-destructive behavior- I doubled my sexual partners count. I partied, and drank a lot. I feel like my friends sometimes think less of me because I went wild once Aaron died. But, I was depressed and searching for anything to fill the void.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior following the loss of a SO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM

526 posts, read 898,923 times
OMG --- YES!!!!

I was your age & just wanted to black out reality

Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
29 or younger is terribly young to lose a SO to such a ravaging disease. I wouldn't think less of someone in your shoes no matter how they reacted. Being a caregiver is the hardest job on earth. As far as I'm concerned, whatever it takes to get you to the next stage of your life (short of crime) is understandable.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:06 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
I was 57, with four adult kids, three with spouses and children, and I went ballistic. My outlet was spending money. I bought, and bought and bought. And I ate. Everything and anything. For two solid years, I bought so much junk, it wasn't funny~~about $30K worth of stuff. And I was constantly stuffing my face~~trying to stuff down the feelings. It was awful, and finally my sister-in-law figuratively slapped me upside the head to show me what I was doing, and I crashed. I went to counselling for a while, and understood that I was beating myself up. Counselling, and a new, healthy perspective helped me so much.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 AM

652 posts, read 874,190 times
It's tough to lose a loved one from cancer. Especially a vicious one like Pancreatic cancer. It's such a sad way to go from such a wasting disease.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
29 or younger is terribly young to lose a SO to such a ravaging disease. I wouldn't think less of someone in your shoes no matter how they reacted. Being a caregiver is the hardest job on earth. As far as I'm concerned, whatever it takes to get you to the next stage of your life (short of crime) is understandable.
I am so sorry for your loss.

I agree with Dale, and I'm sure that deep down your friends understand (or at least, sort of understand or will start to understand).

Your concern is your health and your well-being.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I'm 29 now and lost my fiance to stage IV pancreatic cancer in November of 2012, after a year and a half fight. My entire life throughout his sickness was solely about taking care of him; juicing fruits and veggies for him throughout the day, researching holistic treatments along with the best clinical trials and treatments, keeping him comfortable, taking care of his bills and affairs. Flying back and forth to Johns Hopkins. Fearing for his life every second of the day. So long story short, I was a gigantic ball of stress during that time.

Once he passed, something snapped in me, and I went on a downward spiral of self-destructive behavior- I doubled my sexual partners count. I partied, and drank a lot. I feel like my friends sometimes think less of me because I went wild once Aaron died. But, I was depressed and searching for anything to fill the void.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior following the loss of a SO?
What a tragedy to go through what you did and so young. I'm so sorry for your loss. I guess when you love someone, age makes no difference except that being younger, you felt like partying to forget your troubles and loss, instead of sitting at home like I think older women might tend to do.

As for your friends, maybe they were reading you wrong. You knew you were in a downward spiral, but on the outside it might have looked different to them. Maybe they thought you were partying your a** off because you were glad it was all over.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'm sorry for your loss. It's a terrible thing to go through.

To answer your question, YES! I was 50 when I lost my wife suddenly and without warning. I didn't realize it at the time (hard to believe now), but I went bat-s**t-crazy. I'd lost a substantial amount of money a couple years before her death and was just getting that under control, then BAM! Unfortunately I still had great credit. For awhile. I basically quit working (self employed) and ran up over $400K on my credit cards traveling, trying to run away from the pain. Uh, oh yeah, and I quadrupled my sexual partners count. Taxes went unfiled. (No income anyway.) I lost interest in my life-long hobbies. I had to sell my retirement investments and take out a home mortgage just to get even. I was a mess for a few years. I was downright awful. I just wanted to join her.

I got over it. Life is better now. It's not what it was with her and it'll never be what it could have been with her, but at least I'm enjoying life again. You will too.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
28 years and losing SO, how tragic for you and I am sorry for your loss.

We all process grief differently and although our stories are different our grief is heart felt and devastating.

I lost my husband of 38 years at 57 years old and he was all the family I had. I am now over the loss and my heart is not burdened with grief but it will take me awhile to get my *hit together, and I suspect we all can relate.

My best to you and I hope you are gentle and kind to yourself and don't worry about what others think, they haven't walked in your shoes. Continue on your journey, loving yourself and know you experienced a great love in your life and now you are ready to go forward.

My best to you,
Nameste,
Smilin

Last edited by smilinpretty; 01-10-2014 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I lost a boyfriend in year 2009. I experienced a period of severe depression. I took over the counter anti-depressant, didn't really help.

I guess it is just a "normal" (for lack of a better word) stage of grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning