Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing. That does not mean ignore the topic but rather visit with them and let them talk - just be supportive and intently listen to what they have to say. You can ask them if they want to talk about the death but please don't start dwelling on it, take your cues from them.

One thing I always ask people after a funeral is to follow-up with the family 10 days to 2 weeks after the funeral. Most people are there in the days immediately following the death, and right after the funeral, but 2 weeks later everyone has gone home and moved on, and the family left behind is experiencing a huge void. That is when they most need friends to be there for me, listen and let them know they are not alone.

Part of my pastoral follow-up is always a call 2 weeks later, and then again 2 to 4 weeks later, depending on the family and the situation. Those calls and visits are usually far more meaningful than right after the death when people are too busy planning a funeral etc. than thinking about themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 10:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks for writing and caring...My husband developed pancreatic cancer. My younger son battled fast-growing cancerous brain tumors. And my older son developed (other) health problems that lead to a heart condition...Everyone seemed "fine" earlier in life. My younger son had a non-cancerous brain tumor when he was 22 that caused some complications but he did great for 15 years or so. (With no problems.)...My husband and older son always seemed like the "picture of health."..There was no indication or warning that everyone was going to get sick and die so young. (All in a row!).. It's been a "shocker." And I know it's going to take time to work through my grief.
I initially started reading this thread because I thought the topic, how to help someone who is grieving, was something I could learn from. Most people would do well to learn how to truly help others who are going through the loss of a loved one.

But CArizona, I must say that your post has left me stunned. I am so terribly sorry for such an unimaginable loss. I do hope you are surrounded by family and friends who can give you the love and support you need. I also hope that the concern of this stranger here on an internet forum can somehow bring you at least a moment's peace and encouragement.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I agree that just asking how you are helps especially if you mean it.

CArizona.. The one thing that helped was an online support group. Everyone was there for the same reason and understand that you are still crying or that you are mad because you are now alone.

I know Sam I AM and I both lobbied hard to get this forum hoping we could help and be helped

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
This is such a thoughtful thread. It is so difficult to know what to say - I think people don't ask, stay away, don't mention because they are afraid of evoking the emotion and pain - thinking that out of sight = out of mind. That clearly is not so, but it doesn't make it easier. I think the closer you are to someone - the easier it is to do be truly there to help them work through grief.

Last edited by StilltheSame; 01-18-2014 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Spelling and punctuation matter.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM

526 posts, read 898,689 times
this sounds blunt & could only come from a good friend. "you're not the lst one to lose your spouse". Was told this a couple months into widowhood not the most soothing statement, but probably the most helpful one

Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,920 times
I had some really awful things said to me when my husband was killed suddenly. I have to admit, I survived by 2 glasses of wine and an antihistamine to sleep. I agree to follow up within 2 weeks after, because everyone was here for the funeral, but then everybody disappeared and I didn't know what to do. When Dad died suddenly, I had my kids to grieve with me, since we were so far away from family after the funeral. It took me awhile, but just being available to be an ear and shoulder means so, so much.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
This is such a thoughtful thread. It is so difficult to know what to say - I think people don't ask, stay away, don't mention because they are afraid of evoking the emotion and pain - thinking that out of sight = out of mind. That clearly is not so, but it doesn't make it easier. I think the closer you are to someone - the easier it is to do be truly there to help them work through grief.
Very helpful knowing why people don't know what to say or do. It's because they don't want to evoke the pain. Rev suggesting a visit about 2 weeks later when everyone is gone is also a good thought.

I'm thinking that another good idea might be to bring a few home made freezer meals. Sometimes people just want to sit and think and forget to eat.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I initially started reading this thread because I thought the topic, how to help someone who is grieving, was something I could learn from. Most people would do well to learn how to truly help others who are going through the loss of a loved one.

But CArizona, I must say that your post has left me stunned. I am so terribly sorry for such an unimaginable loss. I do hope you are surrounded by family and friends who can give you the love and support you need. I also hope that the concern of this stranger here on an internet forum can somehow bring you at least a moment's peace and encouragement.
Thanks...I'm still doing "day-by-day." Try to remember to pat myself on the back for all the "baby steps" I take along the way...I think I entered (what I call) the "face reality" stage sometime during the holidays. And I'm still in this stage now...I think this is the pathway to "acceptance" but I know I still have a long way to go before I get "there.".. I went through one loss right after another and ended up losing everyone. So it's unrealistic to expect my grief to go away overnight.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Very helpful knowing why people don't know what to say or do. It's because they don't want to evoke the pain. Rev suggesting a visit about 2 weeks later when everyone is gone is also a good thought.

I'm thinking that another good idea might be to bring a few home made freezer meals. Sometimes people just want to sit and think and forget to eat.
Right on! Great idea to bring freezer meals or casseroles, etc. I sure get tired of eating my own food night after night. (Even though I'm a fairly decent cook.)...When my husband was alive, we took turns cooking. And now, it's just me...A friend shared some of her homemade soup with me the other day and it sure perked me up and made me feel loved!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I agree that just asking how you are helps especially if you mean it.

CArizona.. The one thing that helped was an online support group. Everyone was there for the same reason and understand that you are still crying or that you are mad because you are now alone.

I know Sam I AM and I both lobbied hard to get this forum hoping we could help and be helped
Keeper..Thanks to you and Sam I Am for starting this forum and seeing a "need" for it...I thought about joining one of the grief support groups in my local area. It seemed like a good idea at first but I decided to put it off for now...Maybe I'll just do more posting here. I haven't been as active lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning