U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:38 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,533,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL1958 View Post
At times I feel like I'm doing so well, taking walks, exercising, spending quality time with Grandkids, and everyone says how great I am doing (which I absolutely hate) ..And then some days I walk into the parking garage after work and sit in my car and weep.

I completely understand that Karen.
I can only suggest to you what I keep telling myself...keep doing as you're doing and give it time.
It brings to mind an old adage that I used to haul out for something else but may be fitting...
"Fake it until you make it"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,389,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Perhaps a pet? A dog is a lot of work, walking him, etc, which would give you a responsibility again. A cat can be a physical comfort if you get a cuddler. Take care........life still holds adventures and opportunities
This is not a bad idea. When I was widowed, I had two small children to tend to, but it sounds like Karen's situation is quite different. If a person doesn't want to be "tied down" to a dog, a cat could be the perfect solution.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:23 PM

24 posts, read 42,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I completely understand that Karen.
I can only suggest to you what I keep telling myself...keep doing as you're doing and give it time.
It brings to mind an old adage that I used to haul out for something else but may be fitting...
"Fake it until you make it"
Yes, fake it until you make it! I actually do that very well most of the time. I'm a pretty private person and people who I'm just acquaintances with will say I am doing so well but they don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:16 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times
Kelly: You have skills that are very much needed and wanted, depending on what locale you are in.
I worked in the AZ Early Intervention programs for years and we never had enough SLPs to meet the needs. Most of the therapists were part time or started their own business and employed other therapists.Sometimes I searched for months to find a therapist for a kid with no speech. Why not explore this in your area? This is a program for kids birth to 3 who need therapy. Or, if you like older kids, apply at your school district for part time/contract work.

You need a purpose, not a hobby.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:38 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
I have been on vacation without my computer the last 3-4 days
so I am looking forward to catching up on this thread...

I appreciate the posts and wanted to explain why I was missing
from the thread. I am helping a friend out of town the next few days that
is having a baby so it may be midweek before I catch up .

At a glance it looks like a lot of great posts !!!!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Perhaps a pet? A dog is a lot of work, walking him, etc, which would give you a responsibility again. A cat can be a physical comfort if you get a cuddler. Take care........life still holds adventures and opportunities
I have a great cat..Although I love dogs I hesitate to take that on because I want to travel some and
I don't have a yard for one..

I do believe there is good stuff ahead !!!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Kelly: You have skills that are very much needed and wanted, depending on what locale you are in.
I worked in the AZ Early Intervention programs for years and we never had enough SLPs to meet the needs. Most of the therapists were part time or started their own business and employed other therapists.Sometimes I searched for months to find a therapist for a kid with no speech. Why not explore this in your area? This is a program for kids birth to 3 who need therapy. Or, if you like older kids, apply at your school district for part time/contract work.

You need a purpose, not a hobby.
I think you are right about that last statement...I would enjoy the early intervention program work..
I got my start with the Headstart Program..I also enjoy adult therapy ...

Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
This is not a bad idea. When I was widowed, I had two small children to tend to, but it sounds like Karen's situation is quite different. If a person doesn't want to be "tied down" to a dog, a cat could be the perfect solution.
She could always hire pet sitters/walkers for those times she would be out-of-town.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM

6,296 posts, read 10,463,432 times
Kelly, have you thought about taking in foster children?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM

211 posts, read 286,592 times
What about taking classes at the local University or Community College? When I was earning my BA in History there was always someone of retired age auditing the class. I always told myself when I retire I would like travel and go back to school.

Another option is volunteering at a Homeless Shelter or Hospital. As a volunteer you can probably make your own hours to be available for when family and friends visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or