U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 PM

7,710 posts, read 12,897,523 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone...

I must be feeling a lot better than when I posted because I am seeing all the opportunities
ahead as exciting now...

I have a few trips lined up, some projects planned, a church I am visiting,
considering online dating to find some men to attend activities with,
looking into some volunteer things and also considering working
PRN (as needed) so that I can have a flexible schedule..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 AM

4,279 posts, read 3,311,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
About 4 years ago I was living with my 2 high school boys & husband and my daughter, son in law & grandson were over 3 to 4 times a week..I was completely content to run my home & care for my family.
Cooking every night was wonderful.. My son's friends were over all the time & I loved that...
We had an old large farm house & 3 acres and my entire life revolved around family..

Fast forward 4 years..

2 boys are across the country, husband died, daughter is divorcing and is moving 5 hours away with my grandson..One other daughter is in Ca but she has been there 15 years..

I downsized and moved and now the busyness of repairs to old house , listing, selling, buying & moving
is over..I am settled in a small townhouse that is easy to care for..

I just found out about my daughters divorce and move and I feel like I am losing her, son in law & grandson. I know I will still see them but not every few days like I have. I have been very involved in my grandson's life up until now..

So I am lost about what to do that will give me purpose..I don't have to work but wonder if that would help
fill my time..If I work it will make it harder to visit the kids all over the country.
All the hobbies that seemed fun before seem pointless right now because I am depressed and also because they are not enough to give me purpose..They are just interesting time passers if that makes sense..

Has anyone else had their family disappear this fast..My life seems 100% different than a few years ago and I miss my old life..My townhome feels like a vacation rental and not in a good way.. I want to go home !!!

First of all, it really hurts to lose a loved one; I think you should seek out grief counseling, preferably group therapy. It can be really difficult to lose someone you love, especially if you don't have support from experienced friends. I would advise that you start there.

Also, it might help to get involved in some kind of enjoyable activity. Take a part-time job, or work as a volunteer doing something you love. Get to know like-minded people, and try to start a new life. You can also stay in contact with the people you know.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,192,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Thanks everyone...

I must be feeling a lot better than when I posted because I am seeing all the opportunities
ahead as exciting now...

I have a few trips lined up, some projects planned, a church I am visiting,
considering online dating to find some men to attend activities with,
looking into some volunteer things and also considering working
PRN (as needed) so that I can have a flexible schedule..
I'm glad you're feeling better. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or