Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:59 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,427,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have found friends obits on Legacy. Especially old high school classmates. Our high school class has a FB page, and every so often (more often as we age), someone will post that they heard so-and-so passed away, and I'll go directly to Legacy, and sure enough, I'll find the obit. I also will print out obits of family members to fill in my genealogy page on ancestry.com and for my kids to learn who their relatives were.
That is a wonderful plus Marcy. Your family can learn about relatives not just through their obits but the comments of others you can print directly.

The person I lost about 14 months ago finally had the closest blood relatives add an obit one year after death. It was published in a southern city and also where we worked about 2,000 miles away. There are actually two obits that are identical except one starts with Dr. and one does not. All the comments are together.

It has been fascinating process to see comments added. Those in the south very much use what I jokingly call "the society page obit" and respond with polite sentences which would also probably fit into the Society Section of the newspaper.

Then there are those who have posted in the metro where the practice was located. The patients, parents and colleagues have been extremely creative of how they have shown the family respect, but are also addressing remarks to me. To be able to even spell my name correctly is huge and they all have. There is a new post from 48 hrs. ago that was not signed with the person's name rather, " nurse in XYZ." That one has even me puzzled who it is. Part of me thinks it was a person who is probably an MD or an RN/JD.

It doesn't matter who it was, what mattered was the content. Let's just say little was said about the academic achievements vs. victories with patients, and making sure those totally related understood many out this way heard Crick talk about our work together and decisions I had to make about Crick's life for years (Crick's sibling-like love for me). The family knew. That's why I was cut off from anything given their actions and words about me.

Honestly, it felt good to have another person write how valued I was by Crick. I knew it but with all the family did to be destructive, it was nice to read again. I should probably take a screenshot as I hope the family allows that post to remain. It is not disrespectful to the family it simply points out details they didn't highlight.

I guess that will be one to watch on Legacy and see what happens to various posts.

Yes, Legacy is great for tracking down classmates, relatives and others.

I hope more will search Legacy and ask questions here.

I find it comforting as it is the only thing I have remembering Crick. We're lucky to have Legacy, IMO.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-16-2014 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning