U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,188,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's good to hear, CA. Is this the friend whose dog just died and had a heart attack?
Tami...Thanks for your interest. My friend lost his dog recently and he had a mild stroke and he has other health problems...It's hard for him to walk so I help him "get around."...He dealt with his sadness over losing his dog. (More than I expected.) But now, he seems to be in a "funk" a lot...I know it's hard for him to cope with his lack of mobility. It's turning him into a "grumpy old man" at times...I have tons of empathy and compassion for him. And, I usually have a lot of patience. But, we're going to have to "talk" soon if he stays in a "funk." Eventually, he's going to have to "make peace" with his current situation. (Even though it's hard.)...My friend doesn't have any family members in the area and he's used to being independent. Sorry to go on and on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM

21,564 posts, read 18,218,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Tami...Thanks for your interest. My friend lost his dog recently and he had a mild stroke and he has other health problems...It's hard for him to walk so I help him "get around."...He dealt with his sadness over losing his dog. (More than I expected.) But now, he seems to be in a "funk" a lot...I know it's hard for him to cope with his lack of mobility. It's turning him into a "grumpy old man" at times...I have tons of empathy and compassion for him. And, I usually have a lot of patience. But, we're going to have to "talk" soon if he stays in a "funk." Eventually, he's going to have to "make peace" with his current situation. (Even though it's hard.)...My friend doesn't have any family members in the area and he's used to being independent. Sorry to go on and on!
No probs, CA. I figured it was him. I can imagine why he's turning grumpy but that's no excuse to be that way with someone who only is trying to help. We hurt the ones we love though. Or at least like. Good luck with your talk. Is he the dude that used to drive you crazy with having to drive him around?? Or was that another gentleman?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:02 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,188,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No probs, CA. I figured it was him. I can imagine why he's turning grumpy but that's no excuse to be that way with someone who only is trying to help. We hurt the ones we love though. Or at least like. Good luck with your talk. Is he the dude that used to drive you crazy with having to drive him around?? Or was that another gentleman?
Tami...I helped my friend out last year when he had some medical problems and earlier this year too. (Good memory!)...This situation is foreign to me because I'm used to being with my family. We had a way of pulling each other out of "funks." (If they lasted too long.)...We'd say: "So and so is definitely playing 'suffering martyr' today!" And the pouting would stop!...Talking was okay. Just not prolonged pouting. Or sulking! (With no consideration for anyone else.)..I even got called "suffering martyr" a couple of times myself!.. We always said it in a playful way at first...No one got attacked. It was just a "wake-up call." Helping each other become more aware...But, I'm not with my family anymore.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Tami...I helped my friend out last year when he had some medical problems and earlier this year too. (Good memory!)...This situation is foreign to me because I'm used to being with my family. We had a way of pulling each other out of "funks." (If they lasted too long.)...We'd say: "So and so is definitely playing 'suffering martyr' today!" And the pouting would stop!...Talking was okay. Just not prolonged pouting. Or sulking! (With no consideration for anyone else.)..I even got called "suffering martyr" a couple of times myself!.. We always said it in a playful way at first...No one got attacked. It was just a "wake-up call." Helping each other become more aware...But, I'm not with my family anymore.
Sounds like a good system you and family had.

LOL, sometimes my memory surprises me! Usually it lets me down now.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,803 times
Default So sorry

Quote:
I sure felt angry and frustrated the other day when I took my friend to the ER. The doctor on duty was arrogant and bossy and he treated my friend like a "stupid child."...It brought back memories of some of the doctors my family members encountered when they were sick...Normally, I'm easy-going and soft-spoken but I turn into a "lion" when I run into doctors or nurses who treat patients with disrespect.
I feel so bad that you have met "arrogant and bossy" docs and nurses. I am an RN for 30+ years and would never speak to anyone that way. I guess there are idiots in all professions. Expectations of doctors and nurses are higher than other people, I guess. Just correct these docs and nurses. Tell them that you are not stupid. Let them know that you would like to be spoken to like an educated adult. Believe me they will remember you and what you said.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,709 times
I eat and will eat alone. I don't want to see any other people.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichael23 View Post
I eat and will eat alone. I don't want to see any other people.
Welcome to you too. Come to spread some happiness around??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning