Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,240 times

Advertisements

No. In fact, I've never even seen or known of anyone having a "wake". Just visitation at the funeral home. People often bring food to the family, though.

I have seen the money thing on The Sopranos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 02:15 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times
I would consider money given at a funeral degrading. We've always paid our own way, we don't nee a handout at the end. Just plant 'em on the cheap and don't make a beggar out of me at the end...

Old 11-08-2015, 07:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Giving money is very common in the Polish community. As is food at the wake and a sit-down meal, in a restaurant, after the burial.

I attended a wake in Chicago that had a full buffet AND a TV to watch the Bears game.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
I've been a pallbearer about 20 times and attended many dozens of funerals, mostly Catholic and half of those, Ukrainian Catholic (Orthodox).

Any money donated is usually towards having a Mass said for the deceased and their family and/or a donation to a charity of the deceased's choice - often in lieu of flowers.

The deceased's family pays for a meal and drinks (alcoholic and otherwise) for all attendees after the ceremony - usually at a rented hall or Church basement.

If a smaller affair, the after-ceremony stuff might take place at a relative's home.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:37 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
Yes, giving a card with money in it is very common at the wake or funeral.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:23 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Equal Op
It is appropriate to give money usually in an envelope surreptitiously slipped into an offerings box at the funeral home. Ask the funeral arranger if the deceased wanted donations made to a charity of their choice like Cancer Society, CNIB, Heart and Lung, SPCA, and so on. There are donation forms for these charities you can put your check in.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I think that IN SOME PLACES this is true. The traditions seem to be local, however, and some consider this to be problematic. So I would make sure (ask people who might know) about your specific location.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 PM

282 posts, read 219,237 times
In my country, it is customary. To give money. Why not in other countries including US? I don't know. When on this channel I am watching there is NOTHING but commercials about metlife and how the loved ones left by the deceased have money problems for funeral cost and credit card debt left by the deceased.

So ya why is not customary anywhere when death is always sudden and funeral cost is always costly?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:33 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirlygirl View Post
In my country, it is customary. To give money. Why not in other countries including US? I don't know. When on this channel I am watching there is NOTHING but commercials about metlife and how the loved ones left by the deceased have money problems for funeral cost and credit card debt left by the deceased.

So ya why is not customary anywhere when death is always sudden and funeral cost is always costly?
Custom and tradition are custom and tradition. One would have to research the roots of this to figure out WHY people do what they do. Just accept that this particular tradition is spotty, and is highly local. I repeat that we all need to find out what is tradition wherever we live. If you are adapting to a new country and a new location, it is particularly important to find out what the local tradition is and go along with that, rather than assuming that everyone there is wrong.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,933,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
I agree, plus bringing a dish is helpful and encouraged. It may have started as a way to help fellow immigrants, especially the poorer members of the community, and the practice simply continued and became customary well after the fortunes of everyone improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning