Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,573,014 times

Advertisements

Cyn, good to know miss Kitty is doing better.
Tami, am doing ok. 2 more weeks to go.
I didn't know Sudcaro was from France either!! Hope Baby Sweet pea will thrive there.

I just had to share this with you all. This evening, my 3 year old gave me a glimpse into her dreams. She was dreaming of butterflies. She was one of them I guess? She was talking out loud to the never heard anything more cute!

Old 08-07-2015, 02:17 PM

218 posts, read 207,339 times
Went to the dog shelter this morning and accepted an addition to my short list of "special needs" dogs. I handle the same two dogs each visit, and visit twice a week. The dog in the picture is an old 14 estimate, small, about 4 pounds, Chihuahua named Pokey. ... the old guy holding is me. It makes more sense to focus on two dogs rather than take a different two (many need help) each visit. One I have been working with for a couple of months, a long haired Chihuahua (Mostly, in my estimation) is becoming more adjusted to being out of the shelter and now can be considered for adoption.

This little guy with me in the picture has a recessed lower jaw and few teeth, staff commented they may be related and due to little or no dental care during his life. My understanding is the recessed jaw may be breed specific and not due to lack of care.... I like to think this is the reason, the dog is very loving and must have had some loving care... I don't know how he ended up in the shelter, I will ask more about that on my visit on Tuesday.

The little guy is new at the shelter so he has not yet withdrawn and become frightened by the outside world and new people. He is a delight to hold and to walk, and being a male he works hard to mark out his new territory. My male dog at home likes to kick his rear feet after a mark to help spread it out, I am told. Little Pokey does an all four feet shuffle, on grass and pavement.

Don't know how this helps others deal with the subject of this thread, not even sure how much it helps me, but it gives me a chance to "chat" and to share with you a "fun" picture, and even the benefit of my picture so you will have an answer when one of my posts/replies is so nuts you wonder "what does this nut look like?"

Weather okay in NJ, but I am worried about the fire storms in dried out California. My children/grandchildren live near San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
Life Alone Now...Day by Day...Life Beyond Loss-pokey3.jpg  

Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_NJ View Post
Went to the dog shelter this morning and accepted an addition to my short list of "special needs" dogs. I handle the same two dogs each visit, and visit twice a week. The dog in the picture is an old 14 estimate, small, about 4 pounds, Chihuahua named Pokey. ... the old guy holding is me. It makes more sense to focus on two dogs rather than take a different two (many need help) each visit. One I have been working with for a couple of months, a long haired Chihuahua (Mostly, in my estimation) is becoming more adjusted to being out of the shelter and now can be considered for adoption.

This little guy with me in the picture has a recessed lower jaw and few teeth, staff commented they may be related and due to little or no dental care during his life. My understanding is the recessed jaw may be breed specific and not due to lack of care.... I like to think this is the reason, the dog is very loving and must have had some loving care... I don't know how he ended up in the shelter, I will ask more about that on my visit on Tuesday.

The little guy is new at the shelter so he has not yet withdrawn and become frightened by the outside world and new people. He is a delight to hold and to walk, and being a male he works hard to mark out his new territory. My male dog at home likes to kick his rear feet after a mark to help spread it out, I am told. Little Pokey does an all four feet shuffle, on grass and pavement.

Don't know how this helps others deal with the subject of this thread, not even sure how much it helps me, but it gives me a chance to "chat" and to share with you a "fun" picture, and even the benefit of my picture so you will have an answer when one of my posts/replies is so nuts you wonder "what does this nut look like?"

Weather okay in NJ, but I am worried about the fire storms in dried out California. My children/grandchildren live near San Francisco.
Hi Jerry.....I think that it is wonderful that you volunteer at the shelter and that you focus your attention on the same two dogs each time.....the consistency of a caring human friend must be a comfort to them.

I have read your posts and realize that you are struggling with grief following the loss of your wife....reaching out to these dogs.....is a wonderful and I am sure therapeutic thing for you to be doing. It is LOVE and Compassion that makes the world go round.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
Jerry I agree with elston. You need to pat yourself on your back my friend! You have moved forward in a very short period and don't even realize it in your grieving. You have a big heart and helping the dogs is a way of healing for you as well as them. Love the picture of you and the dog...you look like a wonderful caring person. You are going through this grief very well and your wife would be proud! I know it's hard Jerry--it's the hardest thing I have ever been though. You are not alone.
Today I drive to my sons house for my grand daughters birthday. long drive and I re-injured my arm mowing yesterday. Several times my hat started to fly off and I reached up for it and pulled those same sore muscles. It even seems worse so now I have really got to be careful. But the yard looks better---there is still a small amount to be done...but I'll do that today and in small portions. Won't take long. Have a blessed day everyone.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM

In your photo you two--the pup and yourself look like the perfect twosome!! I keep going back to look as it brings a smile to my face and makes me feel happy! I have a special place in my heart for people who love animals!

Old 08-08-2015, 06:40 PM

218 posts, read 207,339 times
Thanks, feels good to do something that makes others smile/happy.

I keep thinking of Pokey waiting for me to come back. If the shelter was a little closer I would just drive over to see him. I have another dog I've been working with for a couple months, she gets real excited when I come twice a week to see her. I walk each separately when I visit.

A fellow volunteer guy will meet me at the shelter on Tuesday and we will each take a dog for a walk with us. I will like that a lot better than walking with the dog alone. Hope this goes chat goes along with our shared goals of helping ourselves and others deal with bereavement.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:43 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
Jerry......you are sharing one of your ways of dealing with grief and overcoming isolation and turning inward.....I think it is spot on appropriate for this thread; I am sure it is helpful and uplifting for many.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:53 AM

I know it is uplifting and helpful for me! To read how Jerry is giving and receiving that much needed attention and love and how he is doing it is very inspirational to me. And this is the place to share that because we are all looking for ways to get our lives back together. I myself feel like a puzzle and being put back together piece by piece.
It's off to church this morning and then Sunday school. The weather has been picture perfect---amazing for this time of year. Have a blessed day!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 AM

Good morning. Looks like Whitey is needing another vet visit--ugh--I have to go and get his a shot about once a month now. But I do what I have to do. We are suppose to be getting some of that much needed rain here. We are so far behind--like 4" from normal.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Ohhhhhhhhh Im so sorry CYN!!!!!

I hope everything goes OK if you decide to take him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning