Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:26 AM

128 posts, read 207,618 times

Advertisements

As Italians, we do, all the time. In fact there is always a big "party" of sorts after the funeral so guests can eat.
Some people go to restaurants instead of having it at their house. I have never been to one where no one brought food, or went someplace and ate food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:27 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
My Mother also takes food to her church when there is a funeral there, the church has provided their community room and the food for the family of those at the funeral for more than 60 years.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
My Mom passed away last month and I think we all would have given anything for someone to send a meal or something...it was very hard going to the supermarket and then cooking. We still had to take care of my Dad.

It did get funny though as the wake approached someone asked us what we needed and we were just joking as we said wine and chocolate. (We were getting punchy) and so many people left wine and bags of M&M's.

Usually if someone dies I make a meal soup to nuts and deliver it to them in lieu of flowers. My brother died years ago and I remember after all was said and done someone came over with a meal including salad dressing and I never forgot it or appreciated it. I do the same because it means more.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
People used to appreciate homemade food but even taking in homemade treats or snacks to work they seem to go begging. People will only eat what they know they like - so store bought brands packaged up or maybe fast food chicken. There's just no appreciation for trying something that someone else has made. ...maybe older folks but not anyone under 35.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LMAO, same here. It made me click on the thread. I pictured someone laying food on a casket or a grave and wondered if people actually did that.

People I know always bring or send food to a family that has lost someone. People did it for us when my father died and my brother died.

Just recently a church member died and we all made food for the lunch after the funeral and sent the leftovers home with the family.

This is in New Jersey (someone mentioned it being a custom in OK). I imagine this happens everywhere, though.
Ive seen that happen on Dia De Los Muertos which is the day after Halloween. I've gone to the cemeteries to see people pretty much having a picnic type thing on the grave of their loved ones.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:44 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemoangel View Post
As Italians, we do, all the time. In fact there is always a big "party" of sorts after the funeral so guests can eat.
Some people go to restaurants instead of having it at their house. I have never been to one where no one brought food, or went someplace and ate food.

I can attest to this. We also do something in between the wake viewings since there's usually a 3 hour gap. When my mom died we went back to the house and had food for everyone. There were too many people after the burial so my dad had a bereavement lunch at a local restaurant. Same with hubby's family. Always brought food to the house or other people brought food.

OP, my family greatly appreciated people who brought food items, whether they were homemade or bought. It's a difficult time for the family as it is so going to the store and figuring out what food to have available for family is just an added stress.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:53 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
If I were grieving, I would much, much, much rather get a casserole, a basket of muffins for breakfast or some food delivered than flowers that just sit around dying reminding me of the funeral forever.

I think it's a great thing to do.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Jeanne Robertson "Don't send a man to the grocery store!" - YouTube

Old 10-17-2014, 12:35 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Ive seen that happen on Dia De Los Muertos which is the day after Halloween. I've gone to the cemeteries to see people pretty much having a picnic type thing on the grave of their loved ones.
I was thinking more along the lines of this (for those of you of a certain age):

http://nightgallery.net/wp-content/u...ersMarquee.jpg

The local Sin-eater, the man who eats a meal off a dead body, thereby taking the sins of that person into himself--has a son who tells his mother that he is hungry, and his mother tells him she will make dinner for him when he gets back from an errand. Turns out when he gets home, starving, that his father, who holds all the sins of everyone whose sins he has eaten, has died, and his mother has prepared a huge meal for him, which is now spread out on his father's body. The son is so hungry that he can't resist the food and eats it, and as all those sins enter his body, his eyes roll up in his head and he begins to scream horribly.

Did I mention that I miss Rod Serling?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:40 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
What a confusing title. Do you put the food in the coffin? Or leave it along side the tomb like the ancient Egyptians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning