Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Update to earlier post.

My mother finally gave up the ghost on December 17, 2014 at 4:05 p.m.She simply stopped breathing, and the DNR order kicked.

Now that makes three close family deaths during the solstice season;

1. My father on January 5, 1973;
  2. My stepfather (really more like real father) on December 24, 2013;
  3. My mother, on December 17, 2014, or exactly 51 weeks after my stepfather.

Hopefully, the lengthening of the days mean more brightness in more ways than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
I am sorry for your loss jbgusa and for your other family losses too

Old 12-22-2014, 10:29 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,151 times
After losing my Dad October 14th, my whole family will be together for Christmas Day which will be good for my Mom because everybody but me and my brother live out of town, but I dread Christmas Eve.
Christmas Eve has always been for in-laws and my kids spend it with their father. Well, I have no in-laws left so it will just be me, my husband and my Mom. It will be depressing and sad not having my Dad there because we always had a meal and played cards.
I now understand why people don't like the holidays.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:51 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dci4Z7p6A

Old 12-24-2014, 06:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
Well folks, this time of year is difficult on us all, I lost my pops in 1985 the day after New Years, I was strong in the beginning but after a few months it hit me, the good times, the memories of my Dad always being there for us and my moms. The family and friends, the good teachings, the leadership and so on..

A friend of my Fathers said it best to me back when my Fathers friend was still alive, he said, Johnny, we will always miss them, but NEVER lose them. The memories and good times you have are truly a blessing and the blessings you have is what's keep you going. There is plenty of people who will never know that nor the memories, live your life the way your father raised you and make him proud in spirit. One day when your older, you'll look up and say, that's for you pop and you'll know, he heard you. Amazing, how all true it is. I wish you all well, blessings of peace and joy and always remember..

We miss them but never lose them, for our loved ones will always be with us in our hearts, spirit and minds.

Thank you
Merry Christmas
Knight

Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Great post, Knight. Thank you.

Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
This is my second holiday without nan and I still feel this strong sense of grief. January 25, 2015 will mark two years since she has died and I still feel really depressed. Last weekend we visited her grave to place the Christmas wreath and I have felt really depressed since then.

This Christmas I am making baccala. She always made it for Christmas Eve. I'm looking forward to carrying on the tradition, though I'm a bit nervous for how it'll turn out. I miss her chocolate rolled in pizelles. I just miss having her here - she made the holidays.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm just feeling sorry for myself so forgive me: I can't believe how many didn't send a Christmas card (let alone a sympathy card initially) - it was just making my day to get a card, the only phone call I got today was a hang-up from a spammer. Have severe arthritis so I made a painful effort to send cards, even if just to say I hoped to see them soon. I'll probably spend the day alone here tomorrow and cry (a friend did invite me and I enjoy seeing them but they have family and grands visiting and I don't want to be in the way, NOT that they make me feel that way but I'm afraid I may start crying and don't want to upset the kids) - I apologize but needed to write this somewhere, the first Christmas is HARD!

Sending a hug to all those going through the same - our friends, etc. have their own traditions and families and just don't realize unless they've been there (as I didn't before).

Old 12-24-2014, 04:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Flamingo, maybe people thought it not appropriate to send a newly widowed woman a Christmas card. One never knows how others will react. It's kind of like "damned if you do, damned if you don't". My phone didn't ring. I'm watching tv tonight. I'd love a good stiff drink but am being a good girl. I'll be spending tomorrow alone. No big deal anymore. Yes, the first of anything is always the hardest. Sorry you are having a tough time.

(((Hugs)))

Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Flamingo, maybe people thought it not appropriate to send a newly widowed woman a Christmas card. One never knows how others will react. It's kind of like "damned if you do, damned if you don't". My phone didn't ring. I'm watching tv tonight. I'd love a good stiff drink but am being a good girl. I'll be spending tomorrow alone. No big deal anymore. Yes, the first of anything is always the hardest. Sorry you are having a tough time.

(((Hugs)))
Thank you (and I'm not as tough as you, I've had alot to drink today) - hoping for better days for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning