Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 AM

87 posts, read 114,490 times

Advertisements

I just found out a few hours ago that one of my favorite professors met an untimely death a month ago (was searching for some of her recent papers when the first link on Google showed up as "Obituary"). Needless to say, I was devastated, and couldn't stop crying for hours. However, since that professor and I kind of lost touch after I transferred to another university (undergrad level) three years ago, I didn't find out about her passing until now, through the Google link. Obviously, I've now missed the celebratory reception/memorial service, which was scheduled in mid-January.

But I am wondering, from a hypothetical standpoint, if I had the opportunity to attend her funeral, would it have been socially appropriate? She and I were merely professor and student, having had a few discussions (regarding course material, etc) during her office hours back then. Typical stuff. She knew me by name; however, none of her family, friends, or husband knew me. It was pretty much just a cordial student-professor relation that we had, but behind the scenes I secretly idolized her -- I loved her lectures and thought she was brilliant in her research interests.

Now, in her online public obituary, the date, location, and time of the memorial service was listed for all to see. The preliminary sentence reads "Friends of _______ are invited to attend the reception on _____ at ____ at ____ time".
I'm thinking that this memorial was neither private nor by "invitation only", since the details of the event were posted publicly. With that said, would it have been weird to show up at the memorial service by myself to quietly pay my respects, not knowing any of her husband, family, or friends that were there?

(This is all hypothetical, of course.)

Last edited by vanizorc; 02-05-2015 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
I would not have hesitated to go to the celebration/wake of my professor if I felt that way about her teachings. I would have told her people who I was and how I felt about the impact their dearly departed had on me. They would have liked that.

Of course this is all moot now.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
It would be entirely appropriate to go to this funeral. If you were to tell your professor's family that you didn't know her well but you respected her work, you felt you made a connection in class, and you wanted to honor her that would be very meaningful to them.

If you can't attend (as in this case, when you found out too late) send a card. The family will appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
When my mother passed away, I had two friends come to the funeral. They didn't really know my mother but they came as a mark of respect to me and as a way of supporting their friend. I very much appreciated it.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:36 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The way the obit was worded, it would have been entirely appropriate. My compass tells me that going to the calling hours of an acquaintance is appreciated by the family. I do not go to the actual funerals unless the person was close to me, because I feel like an intruder at this personal time otherwise.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 114,490 times
Thank you for the input, folks. It is comforting to know that, should something similar happen in the future, I won't hesitate to do what I feel is right next time. The memorial service was held in another city from where I currently live, but I would have gladly traveled 5 hours by coach bus to her reception. BTW, it was not so much a private, familial funeral so much as it was a "secular" open event celebrating her life (at least that was my impression based on how her husband worded her obituary). I signed her online guest book and made a donation to a charity in her name because that's the least I felt I could do.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,449 times
A radio DJ I enjoyed listening to died right after Christmas, and though I didn't know him on a personal level, I attended his funeral the day after New Years Day.

He was a man of Faith, and people, some of whom he had worked with, shared some good memories of him.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
It is always appropriate to show up at a funeral if your intention is to show respect and acknowledgement for the life someone lived.

It shouldn't even be a question. A funeral isn't about anyone but the deceased and the individual. Yes, there is support for others and so on but that is secondary to the primary reason.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:06 PM

685 posts, read 720,818 times
I have Emily Post's, "Etiquette," quietly gathering dust on my bookshelf. So, I follow her guidelines except in this case I didn't need them. This is really simple, OP. I agree with everyone's comments here. I learned last year that my first really sweet and good manager at my first long-term corporation died. Bill was a little younger than I am. I worked with and for him @1988 for five years before our projects dissolved. I was in touch with him last year once (in 30 years). A bit later he died from a heart attack. I absolutely would've gone to whatever I could.

I was contacted by his girlfriend (I wrote something on his obit site). I sent her items that were the result of Bill. I shared my perspective of Bill to a stranger. It was healthy for both of us. She was surprised by the number of people who popped out of the woodworks upon his death and it helped her.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Appropriate?...if you knew him and want to pay last respects, you should. Don't consider anything else except that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning