Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times

Advertisements

I would let him take the lead, but I recommend giving it some time. You can "get on with your life" without getting married. You are building memories right now with him, and those will be part of your lives together, if you do eventually get married. (I would also question the idea that time not married is "wasted.") One thing that comes up some times is the new spouse not wanting to hear about the spouse who died. If he is always talking about her, then perhaps he is not ready for a relationship. But I think people should always be able to relate experiences with the lost spouse. That person has been, after all, a prime factor in the development of the person who has survived. Yes, grief can wax and wane. You can be doing just fine, then have a "relapse" of grief due to a song, a visual clue, a dream - almost anything. I recommend that you do some reading about the loss of a spouse and its impact. Another possibility is couples counseling to make sure that you both are ready and have explored and understand the implications of the life changing events of being widowed and being re-married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 PM

90 posts, read 104,064 times
I am a 61 yr old widow. I was married 25 yrs and my Hubby passed on 4/4/12. I attended support groups at the local hospital and had one on one counseling. I learned that many men are ready to start dating in 6 mos! I starting dating at 18 mos. There were men in my support group whose kids were going nuts but reality is that because they had a good relationship ... and let's face it, the women take care of the men, they were not used to being alone. The other thing is that the men who had gone through long illnesses , wanted to live again! I ended up dating a widower and we just enjoy having a good time. We already saw bad times and want to have fun while we can. We make it pretty clear that our life is our life and we do not want to hear any BS from anyone after what we've been through. If a widow/widower feels strongly about his/her relationship, nothing will disrupt it. I mean I already lost everything once.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRACE2829 View Post
I am a 61 yr old widow. I was married 25 yrs and my Hubby passed on 4/4/12. I attended support groups at the local hospital and had one on one counseling. I learned that many men are ready to start dating in 6 mos! I starting dating at 18 mos. There were men in my support group whose kids were going nuts but reality is that because they had a good relationship ... and let's face it, the women take care of the men, they were not used to being alone. The other thing is that the men who had gone through long illnesses , wanted to live again! I ended up dating a widower and we just enjoy having a good time. We already saw bad times and want to have fun while we can. We make it pretty clear that our life is our life and we do not want to hear any BS from anyone after what we've been through. If a widow/widower feels strongly about his/her relationship, nothing will disrupt it. I mean I already lost everything once.
I can't say that I actually understand why widowers would date sooner, as you say. The two things you state - not being used to being alone (or taking care of themselves) and wanting to live again after long caregiving - certainly apply to women as well as men. It is not only widowers who have to learn new life skills; it is also widows. So I don't understand why it seems to be common knowledge that men adjust to their new life sooner than women. It makes me wonder if some men say they have gotten over it because they think it indicates weakness to still be in grief.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
To be perfectly honest, I think it's because men can "make a move" on women and women (of a certain age) wait to be asked. I think that is one reason on-line dating is so popular, women can make the first move. Arcaich but sadly true. I bet if women were "allowed" to make "first contact", more widows would be re-married.

That is my opinion of the whole situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning