U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2015, 10:32 AM
 
398 posts, read 466,013 times
Reputation: 533

Advertisements

I was gone for twelve days.
And you bring up an excellent point---up until I left he'd been feeling well enough to shower himself every other day.
I never saw or heard anyone offer to bathe him until he soiled himself the last week of his life.


Monday I called the hospital patient advocacy line and the state as suggested and neither has gotten back to me yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM
 
Location: SWFL
21,441 posts, read 18,159,189 times
Reputation: 18824
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them. I sure hope they do though. Maybe you should be a PITA with phone calls. "The squeaky wheel....". Good luck, suz. Keep us posted, please. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,089 posts, read 4,053,788 times
Reputation: 10076
I'm really surprised that attorneys have told you that you'd never win a case against the hospital. Now granted, I'm new to Texas, and I'm constantly learning that "everything is different in Texas," (omg, the corruption rivals that in Illinois), but I think I would talk with a few more attorneys. The lack of basic and simple urostomy care is appalling, and I just don't understand why attorneys are so reluctant to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 AM
 
25,463 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15327
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
I was gone for twelve days.
And you bring up an excellent point---up until I left he'd been feeling well enough to shower himself every other day.
I never saw or heard anyone offer to bathe him until he soiled himself the last week of his life.


Monday I called the hospital patient advocacy line and the state as suggested and neither has gotten back to me yet.
yeah, that is the part that bothers me, and btw, I totally believe your story, b/c I had major surgery done at the University of PA in Philly, and while the doctors there are paramont, those nurses were horrible, left me sleep in my own urine.....I got yelled at for asking for the bed pan. Those nurses were mean, and from the time I entered that hospital, they were not hospitable, they were nasty and angry.....I was told by the Ambulance drivers that all the Philly nurses are union and some of them are very lazy and there isn't anything anyone can do about it, but he told me stories like this come out of all those hospitals every day.

What they did, was actually come in and put the bed pan under me, and left it there, it overflowed?

when I was in my Rehab hospital, a nurse came in that I had become friends with, and let me tell you, she said, another patient just came in from the same floor you were on, and you should hear HIS story!

When I arrived at the rehab facility, I cried so hard....I have MS, so infection is a huge concern. Those nurses, didn't bath me once, or change the sheets...I had two pain meds going into my back...and remember waking up once, and seeing a tray of food, there, but no one came in to help me....
I was so dirty, the moment I arrived at the rehab facility, the nurses ran and got huge warm wet naps and started wiping me down.....it was awful!

I don't believe I've ever said this before, but I hated those nurses, for what they did to me....I wrote people and told my doctor, but didn't seem to matter...so, honestly I believe your story and feel you have a right to sue, however, I fear, you'll just end up spending a lot of time, and reliving a lot of pain and frustration, hurt and anger, and will end up with nothing.

Hospitals are not nice places any more. I am really really sorry for your loss, and for the way that hospital treated your loved one. sending hugs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 PM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,089 posts, read 4,053,788 times
Reputation: 10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, that is the part that bothers me, and btw, I totally believe your story, b/c I had major surgery done at the University of PA in Philly, and while the doctors there are paramont, those nurses were horrible, left me sleep in my own urine.....I got yelled at for asking for the bed pan. Those nurses were mean, and from the time I entered that hospital, they were not hospitable, they were nasty and angry.....I was told by the Ambulance drivers that all the Philly nurses are union and some of them are very lazy and there isn't anything anyone can do about it, but he told me stories like this come out of all those hospitals every day.

What they did, was actually come in and put the bed pan under me, and left it there, it overflowed?

when I was in my Rehab hospital, a nurse came in that I had become friends with, and let me tell you, she said, another patient just came in from the same floor you were on, and you should hear HIS story!

When I arrived at the rehab facility, I cried so hard....I have MS, so infection is a huge concern. Those nurses, didn't bath me once, or change the sheets...I had two pain meds going into my back...and remember waking up once, and seeing a tray of food, there, but no one came in to help me....
I was so dirty, the moment I arrived at the rehab facility, the nurses ran and got huge warm wet naps and started wiping me down.....it was awful!

I don't believe I've ever said this before, but I hated those nurses, for what they did to me....I wrote people and told my doctor, but didn't seem to matter...so, honestly I believe your story and feel you have a right to sue, however, I fear, you'll just end up spending a lot of time, and reliving a lot of pain and frustration, hurt and anger, and will end up with nothing.

Hospitals are not nice places any more. I am really really sorry for your loss, and for the way that hospital treated your loved one. sending hugs....
Wow, this is heartbreaking. I haven't been hospitalized since 10 years ago, and while it was evident that the nurses were short-staffed and over-worked, I never encountered the rudeness you dealt with, cremebrulee, nor the negligence suz's husband suffered. It makes me sick to think of patients being treated this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Groveland, FL
1,268 posts, read 2,024,198 times
Reputation: 1754
This is awful! Yes, he would have died eventually, but for all we know, he could have had quite a few more years with you. They definitely hastened his demise, no doubt about it, and they SHOULD be held accountable! If I were you, I'd go to the local media and ask if you can tell your story so that this won't happen to anybody else. Give them the bad press they need. Maybe a kind-hearted lawyer will hear the story and contact you to offer his services as well. I think it's worth a try. Your husband is worth fighting for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 PM
 
8,768 posts, read 10,358,845 times
Reputation: 13824
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I'm really surprised that attorneys have told you that you'd never win a case against the hospital. Now granted, I'm new to Texas, and I'm constantly learning that "everything is different in Texas," (omg, the corruption rivals that in Illinois), but I think I would talk with a few more attorneys. The lack of basic and simple urostomy care is appalling, and I just don't understand why attorneys are so reluctant to help you.
MD Anderson has Sovereign Immunity as a state government agency. For whatever reason, the Texas state legislature decided to severely limit lawsuits against itself; basically denying people the right to sue just so they don't have to pay out claims. However, there is a provision of Texas law that allows limited waivers to Sovereign Immunity. These exceptions are narrowly defined and unless a prior case has been decided based on the same identical set of circumstances, a person will have to go through the court system all the way to the Texas Supreme Court (MD Anderson will always appeal any ruling against them) to have the states's highest court say a person an sue under those specific set of circumstances. This is an example of state government elevating themselves so far above the very citizens they represent by denying the most basic right to hold someone accountable for wrongful deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2015, 09:47 PM
 
Location: A place that's too cold
4,089 posts, read 4,053,788 times
Reputation: 10076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
MD Anderson has Sovereign Immunity as a state government agency. For whatever reason, the Texas state legislature decided to severely limit lawsuits against itself; basically denying people the right to sue just so they don't have to pay out claims. However, there is a provision of Texas law that allows limited waivers to Sovereign Immunity. These exceptions are narrowly defined and unless a prior case has been decided based on the same identical set of circumstances, a person will have to go through the court system all the way to the Texas Supreme Court (MD Anderson will always appeal any ruling against them) to have the states's highest court say a person an sue under those specific set of circumstances. This is an example of state government elevating themselves so far above the very citizens they represent by denying the most basic right to hold someone accountable for wrongful deaths.
There is much I love about Texas since moving here a year ago, but the more I learn about the laws and politics, the less appealing the state is. Individual rights have definitely been trampled.

Thanks for explaining about Sovereign Immunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 PM
 
25,463 posts, read 23,290,330 times
Reputation: 15327
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
There is much I love about Texas since moving here a year ago, but the more I learn about the laws and politics, the less appealing the state is. Individual rights have definitely been trampled.

Thanks for explaining about Sovereign Immunity.
was discussing this and other issues with a friend yesterday and what he said was this.....
The two party system has ruined America, they each work for corporations...and it is sad what this country has become b/c of it.....including dividing the nation, and making people very angry.
It is sad....doctors and nurses take an oath, and I know they are not all bad, but what some get away wiht is inhuman....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2015, 01:45 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,120 posts, read 17,658,319 times
Reputation: 22465
Yes as poodle stix has suggested perhaps you should get the media involved the tv news , the newspapers everybody you can tell . Give them the bad press they so richly deserve and God bless you and cremebrulle I cannot imagine the awful ness and unkindness you were treated with . I hope you come out of this with a lighter heart and some justice in your husbands name . I hope you come out well , God bless you . Hospitals are not there to heal you anymore they are just about money anymore really . I have been in the hospital and got hardly any help when I needed to go so I got up and went by myself and then had to hear they rhetoric about how I should not have gotten up without calling for help , Oh please really and wait another hour for someone to help me forget it .So yes some hospitals stink , and some are okay and some are just pitiful and disgusting . so God bless you and I will keep you in my prayers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top