U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:31 PM
 
797 posts, read 989,395 times
Reputation: 652

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Just because they might not be able to transplant your organs to someone, doesn't mean your body isn't used for medicine.

It might sound a little morbid, but cadaver surgeries are done in medical school -- your body might be used to teach medical students.
Right but I have called 4 companies that accept bodies for medical research and they all told me the same thing. Called 3 medical schools and they said the same. Just because you have a body willing to donate doesn't mean that there will be someone willing to take it- depends on if they need it and if the research projects are being conducted and if so if your body meets the criteria. I will have to ask specifically about cadaver students though- perhaps me saying I want to be donated for science research is why they gave me that answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 PM
 
797 posts, read 989,395 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Friendly PSA here: Especially since most seem not to care what they do with your body, please be an organ donor.

Oh absolutely!! The companies that take your body for medical research actually donate all your organs first (if they are able to)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 PM
 
797 posts, read 989,395 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I couldn't agree with you more....newenglander. Great topic. In fact I have never agreed with a post more since I joined this forum in 2007. It is as though the general public is preyed upon by these folks. When and if I go, I do not even want to be mourned, just forget it.
The hoopla surrounding death is quite overdone and dramatized. I want no part of it.

Agreed!! If people want to put on that hoopla then that's on their dime. Don't take money away from my kids so that someone else can get the gratification of giving me a "proper" funeral. What a crock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Reputation: 17978
I want my friends to get together and celebrate my life. I want a Christian burial because I am a Christian. No different than long as i can remember in my family burials services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 10:57 PM
 
6,121 posts, read 3,318,365 times
Reputation: 13007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Oh absolutely!! The companies that take your body for medical research actually donate all your organs first (if they are able to)
"Donate" indicates they do this without compensation. I don't believe this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ
7,405 posts, read 7,360,683 times
Reputation: 10609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Agreed!! If people want to put on that hoopla then that's on their dime. Don't take money away from my kids so that someone else can get the gratification of giving me a "proper" funeral. What a crock!
I think you are overestimating the value of 10 or 15 grand. That sum of money isn't going to make any difference in your kids life. None really. Don't have a funeral because you don't want one. But that small amount of money is meaningless in the scheme of things. And in fact, the silly week that takes place after you die is another meaningless blip on the radar. Your life has value to you and only while you are here. Once you are off, your memory will quickly fade into the great miasma. I'd stop worrying about the death thing and concentrate on living well. Dwelling on death wastes precious life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,404 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Reputation: 28945
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
I couldn't agree with you more....newenglander. Great topic. In fact I have never agreed with a post more since I joined this forum in 2007. It is as though the general public is preyed upon by these folks. When and if I go, .......

...if you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 12:20 AM
 
1,728 posts, read 1,252,373 times
Reputation: 1078
I have discussed with my family that I would prefer to be cremated, but they were not into this idea. I've decided that whatever they decide to do is fine with me, after all I'll be dead. I want my family to do whatever makes them happy after I die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:30 AM
 
797 posts, read 989,395 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I think you are overestimating the value of 10 or 15 grand. That sum of money isn't going to make any difference in your kids life. None really. Don't have a funeral because you don't want one. But that small amount of money is meaningless in the scheme of things. And in fact, the silly week that takes place after you die is another meaningless blip on the radar. Your life has value to you and only while you are here. Once you are off, your memory will quickly fade into the great miasma. I'd stop worrying about the death thing and concentrate on living well. Dwelling on death wastes precious life.
Please see the other responses... I mentioned that we have basically nothing to leave to our children. And aren't eligible for life insurance. They are young kids and it would absolutely make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:31 AM
 
797 posts, read 989,395 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"Donate" indicates they do this without compensation. I don't believe this is true.

I have no idea if they get compensation for my organs. But the companies I have talked to specify that organ donation is always a priority before anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top