Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM

39 posts, read 54,913 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My dad passed and was recently buried. He was sick for years but became terminal several months ago. To make a long story short, my half siblings harbored deep resentment for my mother, who is my dad's wife. The ugliness came out after his terminal diagnosis and we started to have major problems in my family. They had no respect for my mother and said nasty, unforgivable things. After my father died, they never got in touch with my mother or most of the family. People began to take sides but most of the family is on my mom's side.

At the wake and funeral, they passed out their own "funeral programs" which was basically propaganda. It was full of lies and so blatant because they didn't name my mother or all of my dad's children. They made a complete fool of themselves at the wake and the funeral but we held our heads high and maintained our respect and dignity for ourselves/for my dad. It was still a great service though. I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogyd View Post
I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
No, but I have heard of people being barred from a funeral because they were known troublemakers.

I'm sure your half-siblings contributed to the funeral expenses, right?

Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
People can be such *****&*^%#! Wipe them from your minds, they're evil, selfish people. I had major disagreements with my two brothers when my father passed away, but after seeing that no one cared, I kept my mouth shut in order to not add to my mother's stressful state. The disagreements are MY problem, not hers, and during and after a death in the family is not the time to create arguments. I let things go, and I'm not close to them, anyway, so it doesn't even matter. If someone is a fool, get out of the way and let them be fools.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 PM

39 posts, read 54,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, but I have heard of people being barred from a funeral because they were known troublemakers.

I'm sure your half-siblings contributed to the funeral expenses, right?
Nope! My dad's life insurance did and they ain't getting a dime from it.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:02 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Nope! My dad's life insurance did and they ain't getting a dime from it.
So your half-siblings were after the money?

I have kind-of been on that side of the fence. My parents divorced when I was in my twenties. My father remarried within a few years. He married a barfly but that's what drunks do. They didn't have any children together. She was too old for that.

When he died, everything went to the new wife of course. I was not surprised that he hadn't left a will. My sister was deeply hurt by it. When the new wife died five or so years later, everything went to her kids. Again, not surprised but my sister and BIL resent it very much.

If your father did not explicitly leave money or property to your half-siblings, they're not entitled to anything. This is sometimes a hard lesson for people to learn.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,169 times
They sound like awful people. If they really cared about your father, they would have respected the day and not marred the service with their low-class behavior. The funeral is not the place for acting out family drama.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88
People can be such *****&*^%#! Wipe them from your minds, they're evil, selfish people.
Yea they seem to NOT CARE about important things and only wanna make things harder for you...

Im so sorry

Old 06-20-2015, 10:05 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Hello all. My dad passed and was recently buried. He was sick for years but became terminal several months ago. To make a long story short, my half siblings harbored deep resentment for my mother, who is my dad's wife. The ugliness came out after his terminal diagnosis and we started to have major problems in my family. They had no respect for my mother and said nasty, unforgivable things. After my father died, they never got in touch with my mother or most of the family. People began to take sides but most of the family is on my mom's side.

At the wake and funeral, they passed out their own "funeral programs" which was basically propaganda. It was full of lies and so blatant because they didn't name my mother or all of my dad's children. They made a complete fool of themselves at the wake and the funeral but we held our heads high and maintained our respect and dignity for ourselves/for my dad. It was still a great service though. I just wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Relatives of mine who were formerly very close to me made a scene at my grandmother's viewing and did a few other really awful things. They and their parents (who never made a word of protest regarding their behavior) are no longer in my life.

Honestly, I don't hate them, and I'm not even angry with them. I just don't want that kind of crazy in my life. We had a very warm and loving relationship, but their behavior was really over-the-top and they had no regrets about it.

The funny part is that the people who were most wronged by the incident still talk to the parents and interact with them because they live in the same area. But like I said, I just don't want that crazy in my life.

Your part of the family did the right thing. It's sad that your other relatives behaved so badly. You don't have to be involved in their lives though.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I am sorry for your loss, OP.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:41 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,123,691 times
I'm also sorry for your loss OP and I'm sorry you had to go through what you did.

I've seen this situation happen before and I wish that when people with children marry other people with children, they have a will that specifically states who gets what.

During a funeral is no time for anything but mourning and paying respect.

The last place I worked, a middle aged couple got married they had a pre-nup drawn up and it stated that her kids got her assets and his kids got his assets. I thought that was great and that was about fifteen years ago.

I think what they did is disgusting and they showed no respect or class. Be happy to not have to deal with that type of people anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning