U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,727,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois View Post
I think men don't do well alone.
that's too general a statement, it all depends on the man, many do not do well alone it is true, but then there are many who DO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
You may well be right, for two reasons.

The first is that, despite any advances with feminism, most men are used to having a lot of things done for them - the wife tends to do more cooking and cleaning, will badger the husband to see a doctor, etc.

The second is that women tend to have more friendships, so they have other outlets. Plus which it's probably much harder for men to even discuss grief.

What's the support group like? It's a nice idea, but it's tough to have to suddenly resort to strangers.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM

122 posts, read 58,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
that's too general a statement, it all depends on the man, many do not do well alone it is true, but then there are many who DO.
It is true that SOME do ok, but in my experience most men tend not to do that well. If you watch men who leave their wives, they almost never do it without already having lined up another woman who will care for them. And, as has already been noted by others, men tend to remarry at higher rates and sooner than women after divorce or widowhood. It's just my experience and observations. Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,454,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I love it. I am 73 and I believe the ideal age of a lady friend would be 45 to 60.
Why would a 45 year old woman be interested in a 70+ man? Only $$$$$$$'s.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:20 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,454,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
You might be quite surprised (or maybe disappointed) at the number of my "older" male friends with younger lady friends and in some cases, she is the one picking up many of the tabs. Granted much depends on one's attitude, behavior, physical ability, etc. and some are much "younger" than others regardless of age.

ADDED

If I was going to "pay for it", she would be much younger......LOL
And how "OLD" are your male friends and how old are these "younger" women who want to pick up the tab? Bet they are not 45!!

Old 01-15-2016, 08:35 AM

7,961 posts, read 6,706,083 times
Rather than quote particulars/numbers (some of which I have), much of it is in ones ability, outlook, and desires. This goes for both sexes and ages. It all depends on what one is looking for. I know one mid-30's, single mother (10 year old daughter) who would love to move in with an older, gentleman. While she works, she just scrapes by. In this case she would be more a roommate with benefits and she would continue to work. Now is this an older man "paying" for it or not? You decide. Personally I have no interest as I would not want a child around. The rest of it I could go for.........LOL

A lates 60's divorced (some 15 years now) friend of mine says he had to learn that most women are not looking for as many materialistic things as he thought they would be. Their demands were rather simple for him to meet. No abusing them physically or mentally. No bad habits likes drugs, drink, gambling. Have income as in do not live off of theirs. Be nice, polite, and respectful. He said your looks and sexual ability were pretty far down their list of their demands. Over the years he has had several lady friends and they have been 10-20 years younger. He still live by himself with no plans to remarry. His present lady friend is 48, divorced, and with two grown children off at college. They spend 2-3 nights per week together at his or her place. He is retired, she still works as an RN.

Age is only a number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or