U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 09:20 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,030 posts, read 1,489,810 times

Advertisements

We buried my mother January 8 at Florida National Cemetery (for veterans and their spouses). We were told there are no graveside services here due to the large number of funerals held daily (there were 54 on our day). The cemetery has 7-8 committal service shelters situated throughout; this is where the "graveside" services are held, then your loved one's casket is taken somewhere on the property until the daily burials take place later in the day.

The funeral director left the casket spray and two large baskets of flowers at Mom's grave. When I returned to the grave site for the first time 2 days later, all of the flowers -- every last one of them -- had been cut. Is this standard practice by the cemetery itself, or is this kind of theft as commonplace as it is in private cemeteries? Anyone have experience to share?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 AM

13,103 posts, read 17,634,355 times
you should contact the cemetery directly my father is buried there as well in the florida national cemetery . I would be livid but you don't know if this is standard practice or not until you contact them . I'm sorry on the loss of your mother . Please contact the cemeterys office and do it now if there are thefts going on they need to know now .I know we had some urns disappear from my FIL's gravesite in a private cemetery and we were just astounded at that because who does something like that ? I think that has to be the lowest of the low doing stuff like that .

Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you should contact the cemetery directly my father is buried there as well in the florida national cemetery . I would be livid but you don't know if this is standard practice or not until you contact them . I'm sorry on the loss of your mother . Please contact the cemeterys office and do it now if there are thefts going on they need to know now .I know we had some urns disappear from my FIL's gravesite in a private cemetery and we were just astounded at that because who does something like that ? I think that has to be the lowest of the low doing stuff like that .
I completely agree. We shared this tidbit with someone at the bank yesterday, and she agreed that nobody should go looking for that kind of ju-ju.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:00 PM

Mystery solved! I drove Dad up there today to visit...he pointed out the many deer tracks in the soil. I don't mind that the deer are eating the flowers; Mom would love that. (However, I will be more frugal with my flower purchases, knowing they will be consumed in the dark of night!)

Old 01-17-2016, 01:03 PM

16,469 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Thank you for the update.

I wondered why someone would just take the flower tops & not the whole flower.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Thank you for the update.

I wondered why someone would just take the flower tops & not the whole flower.
Many of the flowers were cut with plenty of stem attached, so I was suspicious they were being used for vase arrangements.

Thanks to all of you who messaged me privately.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:24 PM

51,192 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Glad it was the deer. I would have thought they were being stolen. People have no shame. There was a rash of thefts from cars at the cemeteries a few years ago. Women, especially older ones, would leave their purses in their cars and walk over to a grave. Them along comes somebody who takes the purse and is out of the cemetery before she can make it back to her car.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:01 PM

2,247 posts, read 1,744,626 times
National cemeteries have very specific rules regarding flowers and such. It is stated on their websites.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:18 PM

16,469 posts, read 15,905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad it was the deer. I would have thought they were being stolen. People have no shame. There was a rash of thefts from cars at the cemeteries a few years ago. Women, especially older ones, would leave their purses in their cars and walk over to a grave. Them along comes somebody who takes the purse and is out of the cemetery before she can make it back to her car.
That has happened in our local cemeteries, too. Pretty crappy behavior.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:10 AM

21,429 posts, read 18,139,040 times
There is no allowing of flowers either real or fake to be left at National Cemeteries. My father, mother and husband are all buried at the one on Cape Cod and I learned not to waste my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or