Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

What should you do, if a parent dies in your own home, from natural causes?

Are you required to call the police? (I live in California, if that matters.)
If so, do they give you a form or something?

If you don't want to keep the body for burial or cremation (or other religious or legal reasons), who do you call to move the body away?

Thanks. This has not happened to me but i might, one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I would call 911, and be guided by them.

IIRC, CA law requires an undertaker to handle the body. Doesn't mean you have to buy whatever other fancy products/services they are offering. But you should check that out for yourself, if you're worried about it.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Does anyone know for sure what to do? Calling 911 seems like it's only for emergencies and not death by natural causes.

Related question: is there always a death certificate when somebody dies or is it just in an accident or crime?

If you are to inherit something from a parent do you show the death cert. to the bank?

What do people generally use a death cert. for, if it's death from natural causes?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Call 911. A dead person IS an emergency.

Always a death certificate with cause of death listed.

An attorney should guide you from there regarding any inheritance.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM

189 posts, read 361,585 times
You can call almost any funeral director and they will tell you what you need to do and consider. They will also want to sell their services.

You need a death certificate for banks, tax offices, deed offices and anything legal pertaining to the death of the person.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
If you have a felony record, call your lawyer also...just in case...ya know?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:01 PM

I've heard horror stories about businesses that handle dead bodies and how they overcharge people.
Fortunately my folks don't want their bodies preserved. If I call 911 and paramedics come and take the body, wouldn't that be the end of it?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've heard horror stories about businesses that handle dead bodies and how they overcharge people.
Fortunately my folks don't want their bodies preserved. If I call 911 and paramedics come and take the body, wouldn't that be the end of it?
No. Someone has to pay, and if you are the next-of-kin, that someone would be you.

Even if you decided to be really cheap, and dumped the body of your dear departed in a ditch somewhere, the police would track you down. And if they didn't, and your dear departed simply disappeared, you'd have to initiate an expensive - and possibly lengthy - legal process to get your dear departed declared dead, so you could get your mitts on the goodies left behind.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Call 911. They will send the Police/Coroner to take the body and make sure there was no foul play.

They will take the body to the morgue. They will not (to my knowledge) cremate or bury the departed for you, this is you or your family's responsibility.

The cheapest route is to call a crematorium directly. They will pick up the departed from the morgue and cremate them. You can then pick up the ashes from the crematorium and do what you want with them.

The morgue should issue the death certificate. There is a way to record it and you should ask them about that. It needs to be recorded in order to turn off social security payments, etc.

You will need a death certificate for the bank, utility companies, basically anything to do with the departed. They should ask you if you want extra copies. One should be enough, the banks make their own copy.

Insofar as you are in California, you will need to disclose the death in your home should you ever decide to sell it.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:10 PM

How much do the paramedics charge for taking the body away? I'm not saying I would try to get out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning