Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:53 AM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times

Advertisements

There is no law saying you even have to have a funeral, which is what Im leading toward.

Ive never liked people talking about me.

I'm thinking - death, cremation, scattering, a big boozy wake at the pub for whoever wants to raise a glass

A Celebration, in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 12:50 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
As a widow, with grown kids and grandkids who are teens, my family knows (and it's in my trust and will) I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered half on our land in the Colorado mountains and half in the channel between Maui and the Big Island off Kaupo just past Lindbergh's grave. No service, no obituary, nothing. My husband wanted the same thing. We've scattered his ashes in Colorado, but will wait until I die and the kids/grands can scatter both of us at the same time.
My husband was a country lawyer ~~ no court, ever. Real Estate, Estates, Incorporates, all the "ates". He wore jeans, Nikes and a casual dress shirt to the office. He looked like John Denver, so we told him he was John Denver with a law license. Music will be "Rocky Mountain High" for him, and "Follow Me" for him, about how I followed him...then a few songs the kids and grands can dance on the beach to. When the sun hits the water and the green flash occurs, toss the ashes! Hopefully, they've bought some beer at the Kaupo Store and enjoy the moonlight on the water as our ashes begin their travels around the world...

Old 02-20-2016, 11:36 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Well, you didn't ask our opinion about your wife's thinking the topic is morbid, and I don't know how old you are, but I certainly think a husband and wife should discuss each other's wishes. Anything can happen, and it is certainly helpful when pre-arrangements have been made or at least you know what the decedent would want.

Years ago, I wrote out a detailed list of my last wishes, right down to songs and pallbearers. Yes, I am a control freak and I wanted the "perfect" funeral. However, I did that perfect funeral when my Mom died four years ago, and now that she's gone, I couldn't care less about any type of funeral for myself. I'm single with a son who would never be able to arrange an elaborate funeral, and I'm not going to be around to see it, so who cares. I'm just looking forward to being reunited with my Mom and I hope that's the case. So just do the thing that's cheapest/easiest. Although I do need to make some type of advance arrangements....just haven't gotten around to it.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:56 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've had my plans all drawn up when I turned 65, I'm 77 now. Cremation and I'll blow over the Pacific. I spent MANY hours at the wonderful santa monica beaches,

Armstrong Family group is where I'm signed up and WAY less $$$ than Neptune. What a waste of money so many spend on elaborate funerals...

My father told me when he was on his way out at almost 96, he didn't care what we did with him..but my sister already signed up and spent close to $10K to put him in the ground.

I have a friend who will be 95 in Oct and she's planning a party for that birthday. She had a big party for 90th and here it is 95th coming up.

I'm not into big parties for myself, so none for me. Celebrate each day is what I'm about.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
A little humor sorta..my neighbor took care of her brother until he passed. She has no other family except distant so to this day she still has his remains in a pretty box in her cupboard. I've told her I'd go with her to scatter his ashes but so far she hasn't brought it up. My daughter years ago said she'd like to keep some of me in her bedroom but she's probably changed her mind...we don't discuss this lately. Although I need to remind her about my papers etc.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:32 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
We are giving serious consideration to registering at one of the body farms. Neither of us wants to be buried, don't want any type of funeral or even an obit, and we had always planned on cremation. I think I just want to be out in the environment without any fuss.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:27 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
There is no law saying you even have to have a funeral, which is what Im leading toward.

Ive never liked people talking about me.

I'm thinking - death, cremation, scattering, a big boozy wake at the pub for whoever wants to raise a glass

A Celebration, in other words.

Kind of like this. A celebration. My favorite music. Good food. Good drink.

I want a small memorial service in my church. My favorite hymns. Maybe Gospel played by an Elvis impersonator.

After that, we go some place to party. Or they do.

Can't stop them from talking about me - that's what folks do. Talk. Some will be good. Some will be bad. Or bad to me. I can't control what they say.

But I can haunt them if I don't like it.

I guess cremation. My ashes spread out to sea. At a beach somewhere. And then, more Champagne. I hope. Or whatever makes them feel good.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
We have discussed it but a few things are not firmly decided on. Since he tends to forget things (like the details of such conversations), I attached a letter to our important papers about burial. I opt for cremation, but I want my ashes next to my daughter, who is buried. We may purchase the plot next to her to bury our ashes, or I may want them added inside her grave, known as Second Internment. The idea of spreading/spilling ashes somewhere does not appeal to me.

Services are for the grieving survivors, so my letter leaves that decision up to him. The only thing I ask is that, if there is a service, that it must include Norman Greenbaums "Spirit In the Sky".

Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have noticed a trend in some acquaintances who died. They are cremated and have no ceremony. This turns out to be an immense relief to everyone. No traveling and no fussing.
I am anxious about being the subject of a funeral, when I hate ever being the center of attention. I would be very picky about the arrangements and it causes me worry to think any part of it would not be done the way I want. I think I just want my ashes placed in a lovely place with a headstone, so that anyone who might want to visit could, but it wouldn't put pressure on anyone to do so.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
No, but it's something that I should do... on the "to do" list. My parents have all their stuff pre-arranged.

There are "eco burials" available at certain "green" cemeteries, that's something I'd like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning