U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2016, 06:35 PM
 
549 posts, read 820,560 times
Reputation: 962

Advertisements

Harpaint that is also what I thought about my sister and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
 
5,841 posts, read 3,317,199 times
Reputation: 13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
Harpaint that is also what I thought about my sister and me.
It's a void that can't be filled by anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2016, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,091 posts, read 3,787,594 times
Reputation: 10081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I just always thought that my sister and I would get old together.
Me, too. I just knew someday we would be widowed sisters traveling together and sharing a house. But she died at age 56 of sepsis while in the hospital with pneumonia. That was in 2004 and I miss her every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 07:29 AM
 
5,841 posts, read 3,317,199 times
Reputation: 13661
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Me, too. I just knew someday we would be widowed sisters traveling together and sharing a house. But she died at age 56 of sepsis while in the hospital with pneumonia. That was in 2004 and I miss her every day.
I lost my sister in 2004 also, at age 58. Think of her every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,123 posts, read 17,674,374 times
Reputation: 22485
I lost my sister at 17(my age ) she was murdered and her ex stabbed me and left me for dead , I remember my sister and her smile almost everday and seeing my scars leaves me with that memory of her everyday . I will have no closure because the ex killed himself while the police were outside his door . my faith is a great solace to me and I know that I will see her again in Heaven . I honestly did think we would grow old together as well , but that was not to be . I thank God everyday that I am alive and well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 AM
 
3,431 posts, read 2,760,089 times
Reputation: 4111
I lost an older half-sister when I was a young kid. She was already on her own, married, with young children of her own. She died suddenly in a traffic accident.

She had been around a lot when we were young though, and she was very sweet, and close to my Dad especially. He took her death very hard.

In some ways she was kind of the family "glue" too, I think -- she kept in touch with the other half-siblings and kept in touch with Dad and the rest of us, but after she was gone, everything fragmented. Family members drifted off in their own directions. I often wonder how it would've all been had she lived, what her life would be like now, if we'd be close or not.

When a family loses a member, it creates a void that's permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,748 posts, read 21,804,424 times
Reputation: 27821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am sorry about your brother.

Ten years ago last week my brother died. He was four years older than I. Every so often another memory of childhood flits through my mind, something that only he and I could remember, but he is gone and so the memory is mine alone.

There is a special suckiness all its own in losing a sibling.

I have five other living siblings, and my relationship with each is different. I think I was closer to the one we lost than any of the others were. He could be obstinate and contrary.
what is it about obstinate and contrary that was sometimes so attractive to me? that's the brother i lost. he was the eldest and i was the baby of the family. he never had much use for the two in the middle, but lavished attention on me. when i was about three or four years old, i told him that i wanted to marry him when i grew up. he died in his early fifties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 AM
 
Location: Texas
32,610 posts, read 17,684,046 times
Reputation: 18698
Next month will mark ten years since my younger brother died of cancer.

We were only separated by two years, so we grew up together in the 50s and 60s. Then, in the early 80s, he found employment in the same town where I live in TX and we once again became close. We used to laugh at memories of all the times spent growing up in a working class neighborhood in a blue collar rust belt town in the midwest. Now I have no one to share those childhood memories with.

We developed the same circle of friends in adulthood. My kids always considered him their favorite uncle. His now fatherless son is like my own. Unfortunately, he never met his two beautiful grandkids.

A day doesn't pass without him crossing my mind in a sad, yet pleasant manner. Many nights he enters my dreams.

The pain dulls a little with each passing year, but never completely leaves. Yet the fond memories serve to balance the void to a large extent.

My condolences on your loss. Nothing anyone can say will do much to ease your heartache, but please know that time truly helps to transform grief into acceptance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
3,064 posts, read 1,577,465 times
Reputation: 10272
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I lost my sister at 17(my age ) she was murdered and her ex stabbed me and left me for dead , I remember my sister and her smile almost everday and seeing my scars leaves me with that memory of her everyday . I will have no closure because the ex killed himself while the police were outside his door . my faith is a great solace to me and I know that I will see her again in Heaven . I honestly did think we would grow old together as well , but that was not to be . I thank God everyday that I am alive and well .
I can't even imaging coping with that. Yes, you will see your sister again and it will be a wonderful reunion. I lost my brother(1993, death undetermined), sister(2004 suicide), father 2 years ago, cancer. None of it seems to heal but time makes it somewhat better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,110,355 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Next month will mark ten years since my younger brother died of cancer.

We were only separated by two years, so we grew up together in the 50s and 60s. Then, in the early 80s, he found employment in the same town where I live in TX and we once again became close. We used to laugh at memories of all the times spent growing up in a working class neighborhood in a blue collar rust belt town in the midwest. Now I have no one to share those childhood memories with.

We developed the same circle of friends in adulthood. My kids always considered him their favorite uncle. His now fatherless son is like my own. Unfortunately, he never met his two beautiful grandkids.

A day doesn't pass without him crossing my mind in a sad, yet pleasant manner. Many nights he enters my dreams.

The pain dulls a little with each passing year, but never completely leaves. Yet the fond memories serve to balance the void to a large extent.

My condolences on your loss. Nothing anyone can say will do much to ease your heartache, but please know that time truly helps to transform grief into acceptance.
Thank you. I can imagine what you've experienced and still contend with today. I can't imagine ever living another day when I don't think of him in some way, whether those feelings are shrouded in heartache or lightened by positive memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top