U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:12 AM

289 posts, read 132,877 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow is an easter egg hunt for the kids but they're having it at the cemetary my dad is buried at. He died of leukemia 2x mos. after being diagnosed in october. I am 29 and have a 6 an 8 yr old we are going egg hunting there tomorrow. I hope I don't lose it an ruin my kids' fun. I miss him so much. I feel like I have no one now but my kids an bf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:17 AM

My dad and me talked every day. He was my best friend. He also helped majorly with my kids. So tomorrow will be rough.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:01 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,390,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goochgirl View Post
Tomorrow is an easter egg hunt for the kids but they're having it at the cemetary my dad is buried at. He died of leukemia 2x mos. after being diagnosed in october. I am 29 and have a 6 an 8 yr old we are going egg hunting there tomorrow. I hope I don't lose it an ruin my kids' fun. I miss him so much. I feel like I have no one now but my kids an bf.
A cemetery seems like an odd place to have an Easter egg hunt. Who organized this?

If it were me, I don't think I could participate...especially with such a recent loss. Is there something else Easter-related that you could do with your kids instead of a hunt at a cemetery?

Old 03-20-2016, 05:19 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
I agree. Your dad is not there. If you are trying to have him "participate," it seems that it will only make it hard for you. Of course, it is your decision, but it seems like a strange and difficult way to do an easter egg hunt. Such events should be joyful.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:57 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
My dad and me talked every day. He was my best friend. He also helped majorly with my kids. So tomorrow will be rough.
Then don't go. To an egg hunt or anything else that will cause you more pain. Your pain from losing him is still raw. Your dad will be with you, and them, wherever you are. Now is the time to take care of yourself. Not put yourself through unnecessary ordeals that bring your pain to the surface over and over.

Give yourself permission to take care of YOU. Not doing something you think is expected. Your kids will take their clues from you. If you say, "Let's do something different" they'll get it. The first holidays without loved ones are the hardest. Don't make them harder then they need to be.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-20-2016 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 10:19 PM

Yea i thought it was weird to have it there too the city planned it there. It was for the community we didn't go I couldn't bring myself to go. At first I liked the idea b/c of him being there but as I thought about it i just felt like if we went i would end up ruining the fun for kids by getting upset we will find another egg hunt the school usually has one too so its ok the kids aren't that upset about it. It rained today an the egg hunt was going on rain or shine but the kids didnt know that so i blamed it on the rain. Yea christmas was right after he passed and it about killed me. My kids me an my bf always went to my dads for dinner on christmas b/c my brother an sister always had their own things so it became a yearly just us an my dad and he would order a big dinner, this year I cooked but it was kind of pathetic as I am not best cook but kids were happy they got a good bit of presents this year but it was sad b/c i invited my mom to stop by and she didn't she an my other step brother an sister had dinner together an she lives 30 min away an didn't even tell me she was going to cook. I am so mad at her for not caring more about us but she was a crap mom growing up she was good to me until she had my step brother an sis when i was 8 then all she cared about was guys an i would be stuck taking care of younger 2 and cleaning at 8 i did the dishes an fed the younger 2 an watched them after school everyday so i know i shouldn't of expected much of her now but it still sucks an hurts she only calls if she wants to complain about one of her bf or wants money or something.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM

36 posts, read 10,049 times
My mom died of leukemia somewhat recently. She died about 3 or 4 hours after being diagnosed, and a day after first having symptoms of something being wrong! It was such a shock. Every time I think of it I get so sick and depressed.

What a stupid place for an easter egg hunt. I'm glad you skipped it.

Take care of yourself.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 PM

yea im sorry for your loss too holidays suck now

Old 03-25-2016, 11:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 15,484,564 times
I'm so sorry about your dad. I know you miss him terribly.

Frankly, I love the idea of an Easter egg hunt at the cemetery. It would be wonderful to hear laughter and children's voices there. Why not? He'd probably love having his grandkids close by, having fun.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:23 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,639,274 times
Quote:
I am sorry for you loss. Whoever organized this is clueless. In addition to your loss how about funerals going on, or people visiting their loved ones.

I doubt they want to see a bunch of kids running around screaming.

I would say something, clearly an idiot planned this. Beyond tacky.

You must have a park or two in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or