U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:47 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,254,642 times

Advertisements

I also don't care for the poem. It minimizes how much we lose when we lose someone very close. Many memories are now shared by no one. No one knows you like that person. We lose our past, our present, our hopes for the future. I'm not saying that we can't make a good life again. I think we can. But it takes time and it is difficult. The poem seems to minimize this. Still, I can see how some would be comforted by it. So to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 12:03 PM

18,891 posts, read 6,176,358 times
Yes, we all have our minds and how we think. Both my friends which this poem was given to many, were loved and are still loved by many. One man was a school teacher and loved so much by everyone...the other was a Science of Mind Minister and so loved by so many. We all see things differently and that is OK. They will never be forgotten by so so many and this poem helps us.

As far as parents, spouses and children....we will never forget them and most of us think of our departed loved ones daily. I do. But dwelling and living with regrets...what good is that. Some people are loved hard and some not so. We all have our life experiences.

Thinking more, some are very easy to love and others, not so. I "thought" I loved my ex when I married him and then the real person reared his not so loving parts. We divorced and he left me for another woman and so when he died a few yrs ago, I really didn't feel much at all. I had been thru so much H**** with this man and am glad I had this life experience with him, as our experiences make us grow....or we should be growing if we're awake.

I found Science of Mind back in the early 80's, or we found each other. And attachments were discussed for many years....attachments to everything and everyone.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-26-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 PM

4,547 posts, read 3,014,838 times
It was easy, but sad, to let my mother go. She was 86 & had dementia. It is not easy to let go of my son, who was 44 & according to the coroner, died of natural causes. The poem fits for my mother, but not for my son.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 PM

I can say the same for my 5 yr old nephew who was killed and for my former sil who died at 55..

We can all come up with who this may fit and may not. What about all the "children" who die in senseless wars...

Old 03-26-2016, 10:53 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,169,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's nice, but you're not talking about your parents, or your spouse, or a sibling, or a child.

It's not always that easy.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to seek and provide support for those who are in the grieving and mourning process, not critique how others seek support or try to provide support. If the OP's words and poem don't work for you, you are NOT required to tell OP they are wrong.

C-D has a Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Mahalo

Old 03-27-2016, 02:53 AM

9,353 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Well, to you. But I hear over and over again remarks of similar kind, so I don't think his view is unusual, and I think that for many people it is far easier to except the death of very old people.

Jaminhealth was speaking for himself and of his own feelings. You seem to want to ram-jam his feelings into some forum-wide mould that you imagine exists or should exist, and otherwise he is insensitive....and presumably should have shut up.

I think if you want to see insensitivity on this thread, look in a mirror.
Very well thought out and insightful posting.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:17 AM

9,353 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've lost two very inspirational/influential people in my life. Both rather young in this longer living days. One was 75 and one in late 60's....great Life Teachers....not teachers per se but so much wisdom. They both helped me so much on my life's path.

This poem was used at both their memorials and cards and brochures made up to give out with their pictures and this poem on it. I look at my one friend every day as his card is on my desk.

Miss Me But Let Me Go!
Thank you for sharing both your feelings and the poem. The poem was well written and is very heartwarming.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks all...jaminhealth is a soon to be 78 yr old retired grandma...into alternative/holistic body/mind healing for over 25 yrs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-27-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning