U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 PM

3,279 posts, read 2,496,705 times

Advertisements

So sorry for your loss, Maggie. Hugs and good thoughts to you. He's smiling down on you, I'm sure of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:31 PM

4,587 posts, read 3,046,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm so sorry for your lose. You do NOT have to do everything today. Most of those things can be done over a period of days or weeks. When a close friend or family member asks if they can help, let them deal with some of these things. It can be overwhelming without any help. Remember to take care of yourself. If you want to spend a day in bed crying, do it! If you want to take a day and sit by the shore, do it!
I wish someone had given me this advice. Such a wise answer.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:54 AM

5 posts, read 2,661 times
I'm so sorry for your loss, Mag...
Hope I can help you, but we're too far...

Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 AM

7,277 posts, read 9,682,232 times
My prayers are with you. Many local areas have grief sessions at churches, and schools. Take advantage of them they do help many people to understand that you are not alone and as has been said it will get better.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 AM

18,530 posts, read 1,160,468 times
My condolences for your great loss!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,533,197 times
I lost my husband, and life long best friend, 7 months ago - it still hurts, but I have finally reached a point that I can think of him - and smile.

Just last night, as I was falling asleep, I dreamed that he was kissing me. It was so real that I snapped back into full-consciousness quick enough to feel that my lips were moving to return his kiss. This didn't cause me despair as it would have earlier in my grief process, but it actually made me feel happy - and I smiled.

My husband had told me the day of his death, when I broke down and asked him what I was going to do without him, that I had to live, and I have every intention of honoring his wishes.

A close family friend who had also lost her husband several years earlier called when she learned of his death, expressed her condolences, and gave me a lot of advice. One thing she said sticks with me. She said a day will come when you don't think of him at all, and when you realize it, you will feel guilty. Don't. He would want you to get on with your life.

Bereavement can be helpful for many people, sharing your feelings, but it wasn't for me. It amplified my grief. Heck, I'm crying my eyes out typing this, lol. I couldn't even get through 1 whole session. After a week or so, I returned to work, and went about my normal routine. I would come home and just sit there - like I was waiting for something. I realized I was waiting for him, so I looked for distractions.

There is no rush, Maggie, although at first its actually good to keep yourself busy. It provides a distraction.

Every little thing doesn't have to be settled right away. My husband was cremated quickly, but we didn't have a memorial service until the next month. My mother-in-law and I needed that time, we both still cried throughout the entire service.

Sometimes every little thing cant be settled right away. Sometimes the wheels of bureaucracy move very slowly. I will be getting the papers that settle my husband's estate from my attorney tomorrow.

I'm not going to say that I know how you feel, because I don't, and I believe we all react to this kind of loss differently, but please know that you have my deepest heartfelt sympathy.

Best wishes for getting on with your life, like your husband would want you to. *hugs*

Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 AM

13,133 posts, read 7,256,350 times
So sorry to hear that love. I'm sending you a cyber hug.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:34 PM

2,146 posts, read 815,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
And I'm just now getting weepy having to make all these phone calls for insurance, disability, funeral home, nursing home, and the list goes on. I just want to sleep and vegetate, but there is so much to do if I am going to pay the bills this month.

So sorry for you. It sounds like you do not have any family.

Ask the funeral director to refer you somewhere you can get help.
For seniors there is an outreach program and seniors clubs have those resources on hand.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:44 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,308,823 times
May God bring you comfort, compassion, and mercy during this most difficult time.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:46 PM

12,951 posts, read 24,139,385 times
Very sorry for your loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning