U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:12 PM

4,804 posts, read 1,355,105 times

Advertisements

Sherwin B. Nuland, in his 1994 best-seller, “How We Die,” wrote, “Modern dying takes place in the modern hospital, where it can be hidden, cleansed of its organic blight, and finally packaged for modern burial.” Caitlin Doughty’s goal is to end our deliberate estrangement from the dead body.

Our Bodies, Ourselves - The New Yorker
By Rebecca Mead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:59 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
Good luck, the entire U.S. popular culture is about the denial of death.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:40 AM

21,431 posts, read 18,144,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sherwin B. Nuland, in his 1994 best-seller, “How We Die,” wrote, “Modern dying takes place in the modern hospital, where it can be hidden, cleansed of its organic blight, and finally packaged for modern burial.” Caitlin Doughty’s goal is to end our deliberate estrangement from the dead body.

Our Bodies, Ourselves - The New Yorker
By Rebecca Mead
Very nice article in The New Yorker. I like the attitudes of the people.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:31 PM
ERH

1,030 posts, read 1,490,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Good luck, the entire U.S. popular culture is about the denial of death.
This is so true. All one needs to do is look at the Retirement forum here on CD; nobody's planning to get sick or have a stroke and lose all matter of independence. It's Pollyanna Central over there.

I just finished the book Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. VERY good book on end-of-life issues, dying, palliative care, hospice, nursing homes, etc. It should be required reading for everyone!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 PM

13,819 posts, read 24,548,281 times
My choice would be to die in my backyard, enveloped in the warmth of the Autumn sun.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Its not always the greatest idea.

My grandmother was a young woman, and the youngest daughter, back around 1916. Funeral parlors were just getting started. People used to have funerals in their homes, then, started a combination of services, etc, in homes and funeral parlors.

My grandmother lost both her parents within 3 months, and a niece and sister. It all fell to her to do the body prep, laying out, services, all in the home. She was about 23--24 at the time. The last funeral, her mother, she had a breakdown. She simply couldn't handle one more dead body! Her husband---my grandfather---said enough's enough. He paid for the funeral at a funeral parlor. He said she'd done enough, let the "experts" take over.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 AM

9,454 posts, read 15,015,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
My choice would be to die in my backyard, enveloped in the warmth of the Autumn sun.

Like the Godfather?

Old 04-29-2016, 02:08 AM

9,485 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
This is so true. All one needs to do is look at the Retirement forum here on CD; nobody's planning to get sick or have a stroke and lose all matter of independence. It's Pollyanna Central over there.

I just finished the book Being Mortal by Atul Gawande. VERY good book on end-of-life issues, dying, palliative care, hospice, nursing homes, etc. It should be required reading for everyone!
Aren't those two different issues? My dad was in the hospital, but came home to die with the help of hospice. I feel like a lot of people are going back to dying at home when it's possible.
I hope that I die at home after I live a good long life, without needing extensive care, but it certainly doesn't mean I'm in denial of death.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,058,301 times
The Canadian Parliament is in the middle of debates about changing the law about "the right to die at the time, and place of your choosing ".

In essence it means that IF a person meets the proposed guidelines, they would be able to die, with the aid of a Medical Doctor who is agreeable to help them. No MD would be forced to do this. The guidelines are ...over age 18, with a life ending non treatable disease, or traumatic injury, and be capable of giving an informed consent .

This will , in my opinion , be a welcome step in the right direction for many suffering people.

On the subject of "dying at home " and home funerals. That is somewhat popular here, especially in small towns, and in isolated northern communities. Many of the ethnic religious groups also do that, for religious reasons. In cities there are companies that provide "basic funeral services " for less than $600. No expensive casket, no burial ( cremation ) and a minimum of fuss. That is my plan. I will put aside a few hundred dollars for a party, for my friends. And a piper, to play the lament " Flowers of the Forest ".

Jim B.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,006,146 times
Our mother made us promise to let her die at home. My sister took care of her & followed her wishes. She had hospice in-home end of life help & a rented hospital bed which was placed in the frontroom was cranked up so she could see the lake she loved. We all were there for her in the end. It was much more personal & loving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or