U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 06:00 PM

15,672 posts, read 7,690,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I send them out often. Mainly to families who announce their gay kids marriage....
Bit strong on this thread dont you think?

A bit more respect is needed
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 03:56 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,495,554 times
Pre-printed sympathy greeting cards have never been "in style." They've always been considered tacky and lazy.

Hand-written condolence notes will always be "in style," always be proper.

However, if you sent notifications by email - well, you reap what you sow. I had death announcements printed and sent them.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:33 PM

1,993 posts, read 1,851,090 times
I have no objection at all to people responding to me via Email with sympathy. I have no objection to people calling me to express sympathy. I have no objection to people sending me sympathy cards, in fact, I like them and save them. What I find rude is totally ignoring the news of a close family member's death.

Since I first posted, I have gotten sympathy cards or letters or calls from all but two people. One of those may have died as she was quite old. I just got the latest card last week, about 6 weeks after Mom's death.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:49 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Pre-printed sympathy greeting cards have never been "in style." They've always been considered tacky and lazy.

Hand-written condolence notes will always be "in style," always be proper.

However, if you sent notifications by email - well, you reap what you sow. I had death announcements printed and sent them.
I have no problem with pre-printed cards. They are almost always accompanied by a hand-written note anyway. But even if they only contain a signature, somebody took the time to send one.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:46 PM

10,713 posts, read 19,040,812 times
I agree that there is no problem w/preprinted sympathy cards - they are NOT TACKY!! It's appreciated IMO (and I've been on the receiving end) to receive them, it's obviously nicer to add a personal note to them and not just sign but.... it hurts worse to not even hear from some.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 PM

3,962 posts, read 5,247,246 times
I agree that preprinted sympathy cards are not tacky. People do take time to pick out the ones that seem right, and they also often write their own message.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:23 PM

13,138 posts, read 7,387,994 times
I don't see what purpose a sympathy card serves. If someone who is close to you dies and a friend says, "I'm sorry," it doesn't really help and doesn't make you feel any less empty, especially if they haven't experienced that kind of loss themselves. Yes, they are trying to help, but it really doesn't. If the person who died wasn't close to you, you don't really feel their loss anyway. I think a phone call serves the purpose of a sympathy card just as well. I don't think an email is helpful, and certainly not a text in that situation.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,454,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I have no objection at all to people responding to me via Email with sympathy. I have no objection to people calling me to express sympathy. I have no objection to people sending me sympathy cards, in fact, I like them and save them. What I find rude is totally ignoring the news of a close family member's death.

Since I first posted, I have gotten sympathy cards or letters or calls from all but two people. One of those may have died as she was quite old. I just got the latest card last week, about 6 weeks after Mom's death.
I'm very sorry for the loss of your mom.

When my mom died in 1989, the adult son of her best friend (also deceased), sent us a sympathy card with the most lovely letter about how wonderful mom was and how much he and his family cared for her. I still have that letter almost 30 years later. Cards and notes from friends and family mean a lot. Any expression of caring is comforting.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM

3,962 posts, read 5,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't see what purpose a sympathy card serves. If someone who is close to you dies and a friend says, "I'm sorry," it doesn't really help and doesn't make you feel any less empty, especially if they haven't experienced that kind of loss themselves. Yes, they are trying to help, but it really doesn't. If the person who died wasn't close to you, you don't really feel their loss anyway. I think a phone call serves the purpose of a sympathy card just as well. I don't think an email is helpful, and certainly not a text in that situation.
When you see a friend and they say "I'm sorry" I think this is honestly the best thing they can say. There are so many other overused phrases that are, frankly, hurtful and thoughtless. Of course it doesn't make you feel better - there really is nothing that they could say that would make you feel better - but the other person has acknowledge the loss. And while I agree that people who have not experienced a similar loss may not entirely get what you are feeling, they know it is hard, so why not say they are sorry for what you are going through? Although you are right that a phone call could serve just as well as a card, one might not be close enough to the person to make a call. When my husband died, I had cards from all kinds of people that I had never had a conversation with. It would have been awkward for them to call me when I was in such deep grief, considering that we didn't know each other well, but I appreciated the thoughtfulness they showed in sending a card. I agree that an email is not the best way to do this, although in this age, emails are a common substitute for letters. And a text would be completely unacceptable in my book.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Well let me explain it to you. A card is something you can hold onto, and it can bring you comfort later on. It also shows some effort by the person who sent it. Most people take the time to pick out an appropriate card and write something it in as well. That certainly beats an email with a sad face.

I got a card from two doctor's offices after my dad passed, I was moved. I also got a card from a woman I grew up with(hadn't seen or spoke with her in decades but she found my dad passed), she wrote a few paragraphs in her card about our childhood. She is also a teacher and was using some stories about my dad in her classroom, again very moving.

That's the purpose of sympathy cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or