U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:58 AM

5,577 posts, read 4,780,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well let me explain it to you. A card is something you can hold onto, and it can bring you comfort later on. It also shows some effort by the person who sent it. Most people take the time to pick out an appropriate card and write something it in as well. That certainly beats an email with a sad face.

I got a card from two doctor's offices after my dad passed, I was moved. I also got a card from a woman I grew up with(hadn't seen or spoke with her in decades but she found my dad passed), she wrote a few paragraphs in her card about our childhood. She is also a teacher and was using some stories about my dad in her classroom, again very moving.

That's the purpose of sympathy cards.
Some people will never get it. Maybe they were never raised that way.

I sent a card and note this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 PM

51,191 posts, read 50,480,930 times
It meant a great deal to me to get sympathy cards when my father and my brother died. Even from people that didn't know them. Yes, someone saying they are sorry does mean something.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
Ya it does...... IT SHOWS YOU THERE ARE PPL IN THE WORLD WHO STILL CARE!!

Im so sorry about your brother and father

Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
I think so. I got one card when my husband died last month. Oddly enough, it was from my previous husband's ex-wife. I did not get a card from her when our mutual husband passed on.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:10 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
Im so sorry Maggie for your loss

Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,108,328 times
Sympathy cards do still matter. Unfortunately, it appears that all too few people realize this. Social media messages and verbal words of condolence are appreciated, but as someone earlier posted, having something to hold on to - something tangible - is significant.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:30 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,505,539 times
Receiving an email or a "like" on Facebook is too impersonal and in poor taste. IMHO.

I sent a card to my neighbor. His wife recently passed away. I went to her funeral and paid my respects to the entire family, but still sent a card. He sent me a pre-printed acknowledgment card and replied with a personal note.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,083,225 times
Just last week, my lifelong friend's father passed away. He/they live three time zones away. I contacted my friend and his wife and offered to help in any way I could, including financially. My GF immediately purchased a Sympathy card. Before asking me to write something on the card, she asked if it was even a good idea to send one. Knowing my friend as well as I do, I thanked her for the intention and told her it would be best to not send a card.

Sending a card to my friend would be akin to reaffirming the painful passing of his beloved father. In this case, a call and text offering any and all possible help is better than a card. Sending a card may place the receiver in the awkward position of feeling obligated to respond to the sender which may resurface the pain of the passing.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:34 PM

10,712 posts, read 19,040,812 times
Receiving a card doesn't "reaffirm the passing" - he KNOWS his father passed - a card is something you should send, along w/any nice/funny stories/thoughts about his father.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,780,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Just last week, my lifelong friend's father passed away. He/they live three time zones away. I contacted my friend and his wife and offered to help in any way I could, including financially. My GF immediately purchased a Sympathy card. Before asking me to write something on the card, she asked if it was even a good idea to send one. Knowing my friend as well as I do, I thanked her for the intention and told her it would be best to not send a card.

Sending a card to my friend would be akin to reaffirming the painful passing of his beloved father. In this case, a call and text offering any and all possible help is better than a card. Sending a card may place the receiver in the awkward position of feeling obligated to respond to the sender which may resurface the pain of the passing.
A call yes, a text no. A card still should be sent. "reaffirming the painful passing" is probably the worst excuse I have ever heard of.

So when a person sends thank you notes for the people that sent gifts, memorial contributions, or whatever they may have done it would be " feeling obligated to respond to the sender". I can't believe this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or