U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:57 PM

2,874 posts, read 1,172,770 times

Advertisements

And it doesn't help that, since my mother was a child of the Depression, the idea of "waste not, want not" was inculcated into our (I have 2 older brothers) little brains from birth on, especially in regards to food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:07 PM

293 posts, read 384,353 times
Meals On Wheels is very inexpensive, and can help during times like this.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:35 PM

6,228 posts, read 7,413,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have heard about and read about people who go both ways. Some people lose interest in food, some use it as comfort. One reason I can think of for gaining weight after the loss of a spouse is not just comfort, but loss of the person who made healthy food for you. Fast food and processed food from the grocery store just aren't healthy and put pounds on people. Personally, I lost interest when my husband was diagnosed (it was predicted that he would die quickly, but actually lasted almost 4 years.) I remember thinking that eating was just so trivial when placed next to the fact that my husband was dying. I was so numb with shock I remember staring at the plate of food as if it were something I didn't recognize. Then came the years of making special food for him. My whole focus when it came to food was his health and doing what the doctors wanted. I sort of ate whatever was around after making his food. So when he died, I felt that I had been out of touch with food for ever, that I had no idea how to shop, how to cook, and didn't even know what I liked. I would have been much happier if I could have just taken some big nutrition pills every day and forgotten completely about eating. Now 18 months later, I am better, but I am not good. There are still times when I feel too down to eat, times when I just pick up things that are easy. But I also do cook well once in a while, and we have a great farmers' market, so I do get fresh fruit and some veggies. But I know that my eating is still irregular and not really balanced. I wish someone would make a cookbook for widows and widowers that helps us to re-establish good eating patterns. (And by the way, it seems like the science on nutrition has changed so much since I was actually cooking for a family that all those really old habits are no longer any good anyway.) We need a widow's cookbook that is up to date.
If you google Cooking for One you'll find tons of cookbooks that will help. Of course, one must be motivated to begin paying attention to your own nutrition. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or