U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:09 PM

504 posts, read 478,495 times

Advertisements

My aunt still owned the house but the POA was not paying taxes or utilities. Since it was unoccupied she really needed to have to boarded up. Someone told me it had been broken into; when I stopped by a window was broken out and the DOOR WAS OPEN! I had enough sense to get the heck out of there. She kept the place immaculate; it is still a shame.

She had wanted to donate her house to the church, but now it is worthless to anyone and may contain squatters. A bummer all the way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 PM

4,840 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Contact an estate attorney. Many cases have gone to court when the POA mis-used the assets.

As Next of kin you can address the courts.

the executor of the estate , which should be on the courts dockets needs to always be duly sworn to uphold the deceased wishes. If a Life policy was mismanaged, the courts will remedy.

Sorry about the family loss.

A Small service carries a donation to the church of choice.

Oddly I sit in the minority on much of the loss of life coming down to money. the person themselves meant more then any money or assets they had. Honoring them meant more then assets.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm not willing to put the time and money into it and don't have much faith in the courts. I would like her to have a really nice, simple service with a few people and family members that cared about her. She was a bit of a character and I really thought a lot of her.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM

9,666 posts, read 7,638,989 times
Something somewhat similar recently occurred in my own family, although thankfully, not to this extreme.

But a second spouse is withholding ashes, despite the clear wishes of the deceased and that person's adult children who are the children of the first spouse (both were widowed at the time of the second marriage. Those ashes were supposed to be buried in the cemetery next to the first spouse. A typical church funeral was held in the town where my relative and this spouse lived previously, and interment of the ashes and a brief graveside service at the family plot cemetery in my relative's old hometown were supposed to follow.

The adult children were not asked or invited to participate in any of the plans for the church funeral. All had been extremely close to and involved with their parent, and were previously on decent terms with their stepparent. The stepparent controlled everything. A sibling of my deceased relative's offer of assistance was also rejected by the second spouse.

So our family gathered at what should be the hometown graveside several weeks later (the delay was due to hoping the spouse would pass along the ashes, or at least some of the ashes to the children). We held our own "home-spun" memorial, led by my deceased relative's three adult children and their one remaining sibling, and including other family and friends, including a relative who is a retired pastor.

The second spouse chose not to attend. Nor did they release my late relative's ashes, despite their clear wish.

The service lasted about an hour, and included live music (instrumental and sung), prayers, poetry, Bible readings, a brief homily, and lots of memories and tributes. There were flowers, pictures, and other things important and symbolic of our family. There were tears. There were smiles, and laughter. And it was good.

We ate together afterwards, then made music later (music is a family trait) and found some sense of not closure, but of coming to terms with a sad situation unnecessarily made much worse by the circumstances. That sort of behavior remains incomprehensible to me.

But our own family ties are stronger, and we felt that our lost family member's memory and gifts had been recognized and honored as they should be. Perhaps your family could do something similar. I am so sorry for the complications surrounding your recent loss - your aunt sounds like a wonderful lady.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:07 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
A memorial service doesn't have to cost anything! Lots of times, people meet at a restaurant or a bar. Everyone gets what they want and pays for it themselves. Or it can be held at someone's home.

Just do what you can with what you have.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM

Craig creek: that is an awful, heartbreaking story. Unbelievable how people can act. We are having a mass next Friday; my sisters and I are coming up with the money for the organist, priest, putting a notice in the paper, etc. I met with a couple of her friends (he is a Catholic deacon) and between the three of us we are pulling it together. Thanks for the support; I'm going to make sure that she gets a nice send-off that honors her.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM

779 posts, read 2,964,443 times
News, A Serious Undertaking. A small, but growing, group of activists seeks to reform the funeral industry.

Start around #14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or