U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:31 AM

4,554 posts, read 2,024,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I gave up on TV news (especially local news) in about 1979. Twin girls, school children, were hit by lightning and killed right on a city sidewalk. As if it was not bad enough to show the sheet covering the children, the evening news had on film their father arriving at the scene and discovering that his daughters were dead. They repeatedly showed his shock and anguish on the evening news! I was just a student myself, but I could not understand the inhumanity of that news organization. And that's when I realized that they were not about keeping us informed and benefiting the community. They were purveyors of human agony, fear, and grief, and show us only those things sensational enough to draw a crowd. They appeal to the lowest instincts of humans, and are proud of it. They spoon feed us only the worst the world has to offer. Is it any wonder that we feel discouraged?
This made me remember (unfortunately) the final straw that led me years ago to give up tv and newspapers - a regional tv news program covered a story about someone killed by a train. They showed the headless body of the person on the railroad tracks.... I was speechless. I did call that station to complain, but decided then and there that I had enough.

Sinc e that time, I am hypersensitive to suspense /violent/ gory films. I have become nauseated and have walked out of several. Ex. The Passion of Christ...I lasted 15 minutes. If there is a tense build-up of suspense, I will find another movie at the cineplex and meet my companions after...or I will wait outside...sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:27 AM

1,057 posts, read 515,187 times
I know this feeling. In fact, I often wish I were a sociopath so I could be more numb.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
I know this feeling. In fact, I often wish I were a sociopath so I could be more numb.
Like, sometimes I wish I had no conscience, because isn't it that you can't change the world you're in, just your reactions to it? Because the world is terrible and heartless, I wish I were terrible and heartless. OK, this is just one of those stupid things I say when I rant. However, I do wish that grief didn't exist because people die all the time, and yet people, including me, are still grieving even if death is very natural. I mean, if death happens all the time, why is it that the human brain acts like it doesn't?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,249,971 times
I think this political season is a good time to consider who is trying to scare us. Fear does make people act, often against their own best interest. It is time to listening to what candidates (not just presidential, but all who are running) are saying, and whether they are trading on fear rather than constructive plans. If we are being told to fear our neighbors rather than love our neighbors, it seems to me that this is a problem. We can strike a blow, each of us, against random, pervasive fear and for constructively tackling our problems by voting accordingly.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Like, sometimes I wish I had no conscience, because isn't it that you can't change the world you're in, just your reactions to it? Because the world is terrible and heartless, I wish I were terrible and heartless. OK, this is just one of those stupid things I say when I rant. However, I do wish that grief didn't exist because people die all the time, and yet people, including me, are still grieving even if death is very natural. I mean, if death happens all the time, why is it that the human brain acts like it doesn't?
I have never had death so close to me, but I cry all the time over people who die in the news, and it does make me wonder why humans grieve in the first place despite the fact death happens all the time and the fact that death is really just the end of life from a scientific perspective.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:43 AM

"There is this effect called Aghadjanyan effect (unfortunately I couldn't find any English sources for this one, just russian one).
Basically it says that animal populations that directly observe deaths of their relatives/neighbours/tribesman has strong tendency in birthrate increase than populations, members of which aren't involved in such an observations. It is natural "Deathrate -> Birthrate" loopback control connection. Damn, nature, you're creepy
So, !speculation warning! I think grief is a part of such a mechanism in humans. I mean, while we are at grief times we are reappraising our own lives, think about future and the past, life and death.
And then right after grief passes by we try to "get more from this short life", get a family, children (if we don't have any yet) etc.
Also, it could be that evolutionary/natural selection mechanism is involved. Those who pass grief "successfully" try to make their lives better (basically try to reproduct), while those who can't stand these moments of reappraisal get depressive ("lose of appetite, become anti-social, depressed, and are at risk for premature death"), therefore "freeing" natural resources for more adaptive congeners."

Here's something I read on Reddit. It tells us a possible reason why grief exists, and if it's true, then wow, nature is such a sociopath for being fool enough to create grief just to increase a population of organisms.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 AM

I feel this a lot about people I don't even know. Also, I was a lot more insensitive about this as a kid. Not that I was a little psychopath then, it's just that I just kind of did my own thing and I was incapable of grieving. As for why I'm like this, I just gave in to society's pressure to cry over every little tragedy.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:50 AM

346 posts, read 193,437 times
Yes. The state of the world (contrary to bias propaganda news stories), is not good, and only worsening. I too get real upset about what is taking place. Turn on the tv and see filth and crude jokes. Turn on the radio and hear shallow trite lyrics. As for watching the news, best to only take in a bit, just to be somewhat informed.

And then, there are more basic troubling things. The new disease? Distraction. Social media and obsession of over cell phones have caused millions to become distracted to the point of being nearly unconscious and clueless as to what is happening in our nation and world. Politics? Corruption and/or incompetence reins as well as unrestrained avarice, ego, and pride. Public schools? A train wreck. Radio talk shows? The hosts making millions and millions of dollars, while at the same time, trying to peddle products to you, which make you poorer and them richer, as well them bestowing on us peasants their brilliant opinions (not). And the list goes on and on...

Am I better than all this? Nope. I too am part of the problem. Not speaking up more or working to make things better. And yet, feeling like there is not really much I can do to make things better. I'm a sinner, in need of grace.

So, what to focus on? The Apostle Paul tells us: whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Phil 4:8).

Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 PM

4,554 posts, read 2,024,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
Yes. The state of the world (contrary to bias propaganda news stories), is not good, and only worsening. I too get real upset about what is taking place. Turn on the tv and see filth and crude jokes. Turn on the radio and hear shallow trite lyrics. As for watching the news, best to only take in a bit, just to be somewhat informed.

And then, there are more basic troubling things. The new disease? Distraction. Social media and obsession of over cell phones have caused millions to become distracted to the point of being nearly unconscious and clueless as to what is happening in our nation and world. Politics? Corruption and/or incompetence reins as well as unrestrained avarice, ego, and pride. Public schools? A train wreck. Radio talk shows? The hosts making millions and millions of dollars, while at the same time, trying to peddle products to you, which make you poorer and them richer, as well them bestowing on us peasants their brilliant opinions (not). And the list goes on and on...

Am I better than all this? Nope. I too am part of the problem. Not speaking up more or working to make things better. And yet, feeling like there is not really much I can do to make things better. I'm a sinner, in need of grace.

So, what to focus on? The Apostle Paul tells us: whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. (Phil 4:8).

^^^^^ This! I agree. Btw, Phillipians has always been the part of the NT that most resonates with me.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:38 PM

18,827 posts, read 6,149,026 times
There is Far More GOOD in the world than Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning