U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:56 PM

18,940 posts, read 6,193,789 times

Advertisements

There has always been ugliness in the world but today everyone is so plugged into technology and don't miss a minute of anything. The media doesn't miss a thing and reports every drop of whatever is going on. Unplug for a while and don't feed into it all. I just spent a couple hrs listening to the state fair fun reporting from Minnesota, music, jokes etc.

Here is what I was listening to on NPR radio. http://prairiehome.org/

We can't change the world, only ourselves. I have been in my battle of "clean water" and I get burned out. So I've backed off but spread info as I can so others can "wake up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 516,842 times
I really wish that I were incapable of grief or guilt, because isn't it that you shouldn't expect the world to cater to you, you just have to learn how to adjust to it? I want to be incapable of being affected by anything. I wanna be capable of fiddling while Rome is burning. I just want to be like this, dammit.

Urban Dictionary: emotionally stunted

Gary: "Ken, I hate to be the one to tell you this but Uncle Gilbert has cancer."

Ken: "More cottage cheese and peaches."

Gary: "Excuse me?"

Ken: "More cottage cheese and peaches. Bring me some."

Gary: "Ken, dude, you are emotionally stunted."

Old 10-08-2016, 02:21 AM

44 posts, read 13,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is as though I have reached my limit of tolerance for the constant pounding of sorrowful things happening in the world.
Last night's Bastille Day massacre seems to have hit me in a physical way. I feel like curling up in a ball and sleeping, and I can't snap out of it.
I mourn the loss of our collective happiness, and feel powerless to affect change.
There was never a time of "collective happiness" on this planet. Or even your country. Or your state. Or the city you live in. As a child you might have felt safe and happy and those you associated with might have been also. But, in reality, there were those children right there in your home town who weren't safe or happy, who suffered abuse, hunger and sadness. It has always been this way and it will always be this way. So, there has never been - nor will there ever be - collective happiness.

And, face it, governments add to the despondency and powerlessness you feel. There is not a government on this planet that does not have it's foot on the throat of its citizens/slaves. Every government dictates what we eat, where we live, how we live, who we live with and rather or not we are allowed to live at all. It is governments that starts wars. It is governments that create enemies. It is governments that kill their own citizens/slaves. It is governments that take peoples homes for failure to pay taxes. It is governments that put people in prisons for using marijuana/cannabis to cure loved ones of diseases. It is governments that tell people where they can go and how they can get there.

What makes me feel sad is knowing that we are not free people. None of us who have governments have freedom. The two don't work together. Plain and simple. What makes me even sadder is so few people realize this.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:18 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,257,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck The Elder View Post
There was never a time of "collective happiness" on this planet. Or even your country. Or your state. Or the city you live in. As a child you might have felt safe and happy and those you associated with might have been also. But, in reality, there were those children right there in your home town who weren't safe or happy, who suffered abuse, hunger and sadness. It has always been this way and it will always be this way. So, there has never been - nor will there ever be - collective happiness.

And, face it, governments add to the despondency and powerlessness you feel. There is not a government on this planet that does not have it's foot on the throat of its citizens/slaves. Every government dictates what we eat, where we live, how we live, who we live with and rather or not we are allowed to live at all. It is governments that starts wars. It is governments that create enemies. It is governments that kill their own citizens/slaves. It is governments that take peoples homes for failure to pay taxes. It is governments that put people in prisons for using marijuana/cannabis to cure loved ones of diseases. It is governments that tell people where they can go and how they can get there.

What makes me feel sad is knowing that we are not free people. None of us who have governments have freedom. The two don't work together. Plain and simple. What makes me even sadder is so few people realize this.
Holy smokes! You might want to get some perspective on how a lot of the world lives. In many countries if the police come into the donut shop, it is to arrest or at least harass you. In the US, they are probably coming in to get a donut and say good morning. I'm not saying the US is perfect by any means, and sometimes I do disagree, but we have way more freedoms than many, many places in the world. And we do have a voice, by many means, including the ballot box. Government sometimes goes astray, but it is also the guardian of many of those freedoms. Personally, I do not consider myself to be the "slave" of my government, and neither do my family or friends or neighbors feel that way. I think we should work for the changes we want, not just give up and say we are not a free people, and all government is bad. That is a cop-out. We all have an obligation to make positive changes where we can.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Holy smokes! You might want to get some perspective on how a lot of the world lives. In many countries if the police come into the donut shop, it is to arrest or at least harass you. In the US, they are probably coming in to get a donut and say good morning. I'm not saying the US is perfect by any means, and sometimes I do disagree, but we have way more freedoms than many, many places in the world. And we do have a voice, by many means, including the ballot box. Government sometimes goes astray, but it is also the guardian of many of those freedoms. Personally, I do not consider myself to be the "slave" of my government, and neither do my family or friends or neighbors feel that way. I think we should work for the changes we want, not just give up and say we are not a free people, and all government is bad. That is a cop-out. We all have an obligation to make positive changes where we can.
Sounds like donut shops aren't a safe place to hang out in many countries. Thanks for the warning. I will avoid donut shops next time I go to another country.

If we have so many "freedoms", why is the U.S. ranked #15 by this source - U.S. is only 15th most free country in the world, study says | McClatchy DC and #20 by this source - U.S. Falls to 20th in Freedom Index - Breitbart I don't find any that says U.S. is #1 in freedoms. People want their country to be #1 in the Olympics, but care nothing about being the 15th freest country in the world. Confuses me that people are willing to settle.

The ballot box is a joke. A placebo for the masses. You get to pick between Twiddle Dee and Twiddly Dumb to rule over you. More than 300 million people in this country and you get to pick between two of the worst.

How does government act as guardians of freedom? It doesn't. It is government that creates laws that further restrict freedoms.

You do not consider yourself a "slave" of your government because you do not know the definition of "citizen". The words "slave" and "citizen" are interchangeable and have the same meaning.

All government (as we know it) is bad. Disagree? Tell me how it is good and I will prove you are wrong.

Quote:
That is a cop-out. We all have an obligation to make positive changes where we can.
The cop-out is accepting what you are told and going with the flow. It is not just a cop-out, it is pure laziness to accept without question that you are free and your voice counts. You aren't and it doesn't.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 516,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
I really wish that I were incapable of grief or guilt, because isn't it that you shouldn't expect the world to cater to you, you just have to learn how to adjust to it? I want to be incapable of being affected by anything. I wanna be capable of fiddling while Rome is burning. I just want to be like this, dammit.

Urban Dictionary: emotionally stunted

Gary: "Ken, I hate to be the one to tell you this but Uncle Gilbert has cancer."

Ken: "More cottage cheese and peaches."

Gary: "Excuse me?"

Ken: "More cottage cheese and peaches. Bring me some."

Gary: "Ken, dude, you are emotionally stunted."
What the author of that Urban Dictionary entry calls "emotionally stunted," I call it "being unable to cry over the negativity in one's surroundings." TBH, I could really use some emotional stunting. I don't want to be completely numb like that, but I want to be like my kid self who was unable to cry over something for more than 5 minutes. Why was it that when I went through puberty and the pruning of neurons in the brain, it was the good traits that went away instead of my bad traits?

Old 10-09-2016, 05:28 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,257,158 times
Quote:
Sounds like donut shops aren't a safe place to hang out in many countries. Thanks for the warning. I will avoid donut shops next time I go to another country.
I mentioned the donut shop because I had just been listening to the story of an emigrant from an African nation who had many times seen the police in his country raiding what we would consider to be safe places (like donut shops), arresting and later killing people of the "wrong" ethnicity. We take for granted that we can go to the grocery store, a restaurant, or a library without being threatened. That in itself is a significant freedom.

I agree with almost nothing in your post, but I think we will just have to disagree. I think this line of "discussion" should be in a political forum, not in the Grief and Mourning Forum.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:09 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,289,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is as though I have reached my limit of tolerance for the constant pounding of sorrowful things happening in the world.
Last night's Bastille Day massacre seems to have hit me in a physical way. I feel like curling up in a ball and sleeping, and I can't snap out of it.
I mourn the loss of our collective happiness, and feel powerless to affect change.
Frankly, as bad as our world currently is, it was certainly previously much worse--indeed, please remember Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and Saddam Hussein.

Indeed, things should certainly improve over the next several decades and centuries!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I mentioned the donut shop because I had just been listening to the story of an emigrant from an African nation who had many times seen the police in his country raiding what we would consider to be safe places (like donut shops), arresting and later killing people of the "wrong" ethnicity. We take for granted that we can go to the grocery store, a restaurant, or a library without being threatened. That in itself is a significant freedom.

I agree with almost nothing in your post, but I think we will just have to disagree. I think this line of "discussion" should be in a political forum, not in the Grief and Mourning Forum.
In the U.S. a 12 year old boy was shot and killed by a cop for having a toy gun. Cop wasn't on scene for 2 seconds when he began shooting. That was in a public park where kids are suppose to be safe. Nearly every day police in U.S. raid homes (sometimes the wrong homes) and shoot and kill or beat at least one occupant and/or their dog. Police in U.S. kill a family dog every 98 minutes. I don't remember the last time a mailman shot a dog. Or a Girl Scout shooting dogs while selling cookies.
Here's an example of cops who raid and nearly murder innocent children:
Ex-deputy Nikki Autry indicted in flash-bang case - CNN.com

I made a comment in relation to the OPs grief. Replies to that comment is what side tracked this thread. Blame yourself.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:19 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,159,491 times
Quote:

Many third world African nations are lacking " government" and have just tribes.

How is that working out for them ?

Not very well !

Be careful what you wish for !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning